What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Buffs fought hard

The field goal. Even if they made it , which they did, they needed a stop. Even if they missed it, they still needed a stop. If they went for the first down, and got it, they continued on. If they did not make it, they still needed the stop.

I agree with rooney which I usually do not.

CU head coach Mike MacIntyre opted to take the points, sending Price to the field for a 42-yard field goal. The true freshman did his job in a tight situation, pulling the Buffs within four points with 4 minutes, 49 seconds remaining.

However, that was the last time the Buffs' offense touched the ball.

But even if the Buffs had failed on that potential fourth-down attempt they basically would have been in the exact same situation — needing to get the ball back for a touchdown with USC backed up inside its own 30 yard line.

The Buffs have been at their best when they are the aggressors. Settling for the field goal had the feel of crossing one's fingers and hoping for the best.

Just how it is

The field goal. Even if they made it , which they did, they needed a stop. Even if they missed it, they still needed a stop. If they went for the first down, and got it, they continued on. If they did not make it, they still needed the stop.

CU head coach Mike MacIntyre opted to take the points, sending Price to the field for a 42-yard field goal. The true freshman did his job in a tight situation, pulling the Buffs within four points with 4 minutes, 49 seconds remaining.

But even if the Buffs had failed on that potential fourth-down attempt they basically would have been in the exact same situation — needing to get the ball back for a touchdown with USC backed up inside its own 30 yard line.

The Buffs have been at their best when they are the aggressors. Settling for the field goal had the feel of crossing one's fingers and hoping for the best.

Just how it is
Except for the fact that, after making the FG, they were still in the same position (needing a stop), only a TD would have won the game instead of tied it. The only way it would have been better to go for it is if they would have been able to pick it up. The "exact same situation" bolded above, doesn't carry any validity, as they were in the same situation anyways, just 3 points closer.

Except for the fact that, after making the FG, they were still in the same position (needing a stop), only a TD would have won the game instead of tied it. The only way it would have been better to go for it is if they would have been able to pick it up. The "exact same situation" bolded above, doesn't carry any validity, as they were in the same situation anyways, just 3 points closer.
I really don't get why people are so upset with going for the fg? Even if CU goes for it on 4th and scores a touchdown, USC has tons of time to get a fg or touchdown. Had to hope the D could make some stops. Stupid discussion, IMO.

It can not be said enough, field goal or TD, they needed to get a stop. I never doubted it was the right call in the game and would have been the one you would make 100 out of 100 times in that situation. The D had played pretty well in the second half. Make the stop and you have a shot. Did not work and they won. While the O struggled for much of the day, I cannot fathom not getting the 3 in that situation, still being down and the impact that would have had on the team's mental state. Getting the 3 gave them a chance.

Onto ASU.

Just how it is
That is a load of ****. CU needed 2 scores. Tuna Mac took the field goal and put his team in position to win. The fact that the defense couldn't get the ball back is irrelevant.

So, you've been saving this **** up just hoping for a loss?

A true statement of fact.

His irrational agenda has made him an anti-fan. So much so that he does "relish" Buff losses in order to trot out his litany of **** against MM & BL. When we win he misses the opportunity to spew hatred.

Maybe it's not irrational. VK is this personal between you and MM/BL?

I'm visualizing what this board would look like had they gone for it on 4th down and didn't convert. It wouldn't be pretty. I was fine with the call and glad the walk-on freshmen converted. Getting 4 TO's is what kept us in the game - otherwise the score gets lopsided.

The Buffs are pointed in the right direction. We are just not as deep as USC. But we are gaining on 'em which is what we all want. It's year 4 and I'm confident we'll make a bowl game. We've been digging out of a big hole. HCMM has done a fine job - just keep us on the bearing we're on.

I still see a way where we have a chance at the south. At the beginning of the season, that would have been crazy talk. Now let's go punch ASU in the mouth.

Mac said he was prepared to go for it had it been 4th and short. After losing yards he opted to kick. It's a matter of playing the odds. Chances of converting a 4th and 8 are, what, 30% maybe? Then you'd still have to get a TD. Odds of that? Maybe another 30%?

Speaking of odds, what are the odds that Mini Buff would've come here and praised Mac if he'd gone for it and failed?

Mac said he was prepared to go for it had it been 4th and short. After losing yards he opted to kick. It's a matter of playing the odds. Chances of converting a 4th and 8 are, what, 30% maybe? Then you'd still have to get a TD. Odds of that? Maybe another 30%?

Speaking of odds, what are the odds that Mini Buff would've come here and praised Mac if he'd gone for it and failed?
0%

There is a term for that kind of bet in the gambling world. It's called a bridge-jumper.

He would have gotten praise for that move. But for allowing last years play calling to continue as long as it did probably not. Surely not

In his years here he as always gone the safe route. The record show that. Play not to lose. It is just who he is.

He would have gotten praise for that move. But for allowing last years play calling to continue as long as it did probably not. Surely not

In his years here he as always gone the safe route. The record show that. Play not to lose. It is just who he is.
What specific play calling did you not like?

It was the right call imho. Players wouldn't agree probably, I would have. To me, it was put it on the D to get a stop, then have a shot to get a TD for the win. I don't see anything wrong with that. People seem to think it was playing not to lose or keep it close. I'm like they are trying to set up a win and close this game out. Oh well, didn't happen, focus on this week.

One of my biggest issues with HCMM has been his ultra-conservative decision making. I have posted my unfavor on this site more than once. On this we agree.

There was certainly a case to me made for going for it in that situation. I think he made the right call in this situation, but that's just my opinion.

In either case, it was not any sort of egregious error that demands that you beat everyone over the head with your opinion all day long.

And, given your track record, I believe it is extremely unlikely that you would be here praising Mac had he gone for it whether it was successful or not.

You must have bad hearing. Perhaps you should re listen to it.

I mean seriously. Put it on the kids. Never once mentioned his stupid decision on the field goal, or how bad the play calling was. Never does.

I don't think hearing is the issue.

We have come to different conclusions.

You appear to be demanding an apology from MacIntyre for bad offensive play calling, specifically for kicking the FG on 4th and 7 with 4 minutes left. Also, generally, play calling failed because it's predictable, unimaginative, and ineffective. Mac, Lingram, and Chev should be hitting twitter and issuing apologies for failing to call better offensive plays. Failure to apologize is an ongoing character issue that keeps you from being able to respect him.
Please let me know if I have misrepresented your view.

I respectfully disagree with that premise. In my view, the issue isn't primarily play-calling. My take is that the offensive play calling is only as good as its execution. Where CU has the bigger, faster, and smarter players, the play calling is good because of execution. Where a USC or Michigan defense has bigger, faster, and more experienced players, CU has a tougher time executing plays. I assert that mixing up the run and pass plays, throwing in new wrinkles, and opening a playbook is of limited value, where a bigger variety of plays pretty much generates the same result against more talented teams.

In my book, there is no need for Mac to apologize so long as the Buffs are playing hard and continuing to execute better against the middle and top level of the conference.

Not getting blown out so far has been a big deal. The Buffs rise still looks real to me.

It's too bad Adoree Jackson, Smith-Schuster, and Julius Peppers didn't sign with CU. But given the circumstances, I'm not needing MacIntyre to apologize for failing to win recruiting wars against college football elite.

I guess I'm more proud of MacIntyre than you are. And you are more butthurt than I am.

Reasonable people can agree to disagree.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think hearing is the issue.

We have come to different conclusions.

You appear to be demanding an apology from MacIntyre for bad offensive play calling, specifically for kicking the FG on 4th and 7 with 4 minutes left. Also, generally, play calling failed because it's predictable, unimaginative, and ineffective. Mac, Lingram, and Chev should be hitting twitter and issuing apologies for failing to call better offensive plays. Failure to apologize is an ongoing character issue that keeps you from being able to respect him.
Please let me know if I have misrepresented your view.

I respectfully disagree with that premise. In my view, the issue isn't primarily play-calling. The issue that the offensive play calling is as only as good as its execution. Where CU has the bigger, faster, and smarter players, the play calling is good because of execution. Where a USC or Michigan defense has bigger, faster, and more experienced players, CU has a more tough time executing. I assert that mixing up run and pass plays, throwing in wrinkles and opening a playbook is of limited value, where the variety generates the same result against more talented teams.

In my book, their is no need to apologize so long as the Buffs are playing hard and continue to execute better against the middle and top level of the conference.

Not getting blown out so far has been a big deal. The Buffs rise still looks real to me.

It's too bad Adoree Jackson, Smith-Schuster, and Julius Peppers didn't sign with CU. But given the circumstances, I'm not needing MacIntyre to apologize for failing to win recruiting wars against College Football elite.

I guess I'm more proud of MacIntyre than you are. And you are more butthurt than I am.

Reasonable people can agree to disagree.

Agree completely. But it was 4th and 9 with 4:49 left and two timeouts.

The time left and the timeouts tells you exactly why HCMM kicked the FG. He trusted his defense to force a 3 and out and give his offense 3+ mins with two TO's to win it.
To go for it on 4th and fail kills the momentum they had gained, points keeps that momentum going. They needed two scores to win no matter what happened. Can't say I would have made a better choice.

Either way as others have mentioned it came down to the D. They played well all day but the big guys for SC made plays when it mattered.

The Buff D had 5 takeaways already. MM goes for the FG and rolls the dice that SC turns it over a 6th time. I can't disagree with MM's take on how things were trending at that time.

One of my biggest issues with HCMM has been his ultra-conservative decision making. I have posted my unfavor on this site more than once. On this we agree.

There was certainly a case to me made for going for it in that situation. I think he made the right call in this situation, but that's just my opinion.

In either case, it was not any sort of egregious error that demands that you beat everyone over the head with your opinion all day long.

And, given your track record, I believe it is extremely unlikely that you would be here praising Mac had he gone for it whether it was successful or not.
No, it was not egregious. But one could say it lacked aggressiveness or lacked faith in his OC to get it right.

Back