What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Buffs Going Bowlin in 2012-That's the Goal!

Seems like an ambitious goal. It's good to have ambitious goals. As long as you don't get down on yourself if you come close but fail to make it.

But I don't think you guys should take Fresno State for granted.

I really don't see how people (buff fans included) think it's not that realistic. We have a much easier OOC schedule than what we're used to here. All we have to do is improve our conference record by ONE GAME to get bowl eligible if we can take care of the first 3 games. And our conference schedule is a lot easier than last year. Hey you guys went from 5 to 7 wins.

is this the same Conner Wood who transferred from Texas as he didnt have what it takes in Brian Harsin's eyes to beat out David Ash, Case McCoy..... and even better Garrett Gilbert who has also quit the team and transferred to SMU??

I agree.... with the last comment comment....

Yes. Same guy. I think the concensus is that Wood felt like he was caught in a political numbers game at UT. Knowing what we all know of UT, is it too far out of the realm of possibility that there may have been some politics involved in keeping him off the field?

Yes. Same guy. I think the concensus is that Wood felt like he was caught in a political numbers game at UT. Knowing what we all know of UT, is it too far out of the realm of possibility that there may have been some politics involved in keeping him off the field?

Now way. No politics at UT. Signed, Applewhite (being benched for Simms).

I really don't see how people (buff fans included) think it's not that realistic. We have a much easier OOC schedule that what we're used to here. All we have to do is improve our conference record by ONE GAME to get bowl eligible if we can take care of the first 3 games. And our conference schedule is a lot easier than last year. Hey you guys went from 5 to 7 wins.

Leash, the issue is we do not have a two-deep at several positions. We are going to be very young all over the place. Young teams tend to be very inconsistent from week to week. I think you need to prepare yourself in seeing a team that will probably be more competitive, but also will make some maddening mistakes at the worst times.

A bowl game is a good goal, but you have it as our worst case scenario. That is not a realistic outlook.

Leash, the issue is we do not have a two-deep at several positions. We are going to be very young all over the place. Young teams tend to be very inconsistent from week to week. I think you need to prepare yourself in seeing a team that will probably be more competitive, but also will make some maddening mistakes at the worst times.

A bowl game is a good goal, but you have it as our worst case scenario. That is not a realistic outlook.

I think a bowl game should be the goal for next year. It is attainable and it would be a disappointment if we did not get there. Another goal should be to be competitive in ALL games next year, but you can't really state that one publicly.

I think a bowl game should be the goal for next year. It is attainable and it would be a disappointment if we did not get there. Another goal should be to be competitive in ALL games next year, but you can't really state that one publicly.

I think a bowl game is a good goal. Most importantly, I want to see improvement in several areas, including competitiveness like you mention. We really need to avoid the injury bug.

I think a bowl game is a good goal. Most importantly, I want to see improvement in several areas, including competitiveness like you mention. We really need to avoid the injury bug.

i think a bowl game is a rational, reasonable goal....and a benchmark for further success recruiting and down the road. but, we need to show we can "win" games week in/week out. we got a nice effort against UA and UU, but that UCLA abomination is still there. still a lot of questions...no more behind by 3 scores before the kickoff beer is done. but, beating Utah is good on the road is a good place to start.

BUFFS 12- 0 then 13 - 0 after playing o in pac12 championship and after that national champions !

I cracked open my leftover kool-aid... gett'n ready for spring ball and the long off season

If we don't go bowling next year I will be very dissapointed.

See, that's the sort of thing that can spiral away into bad territory.

Someone earlier posted that Cal had improved from 5 to 7 wins (with a game yet to play). And yes, that's an improvement. But to be honest, if Cal finished 6-6 and then won its bowl game, that too would be a meaningful improvement. But over on the Cal fan boards, people were ready to storm the castle at midseason when 6-6 seemed like the likely outcome. Posters were personally insulting players and coaches. Unrealistic expectations can lead to bad conclusions even if the actual results are decent.

Seems like an ambitious goal. It's good to have ambitious goals. As long as you don't get down on yourself if you come close but fail to make it.

But I don't think you guys should take Fresno State for granted.

Not to worry - I don't think coach Embree will have forgotten 2001.

Yes. Like I said, it's a stretch goal to double the number of wins next year.
It's reasonable to have stretch goals that are between possible and impossible.

I think that while you are subtracting because of the seniors graduating you aren't really adding due to the very very significant schedule upgrade from this year to next.

Seems completely reasonable. Easier schedule. Players more comfortable with the new systems. More cohesive team.

We should have one 5 this year (WSU and Cal) if the team psyche wasn't so F'ed up and I believe that is now fixed. We need the Oline to improve on run blocking and pass pertection, and we need a DLineman who can motor hard and pressure/disrupt our opponent (a back fill for Hartigan). If we do those two things I think we have all the other bases covered adequately enough with players already on the roster to win 7. (just two more wins than this year with an easier schedule)

See, that's the sort of thing that can spiral away into bad territory.

Someone earlier posted that Cal had improved from 5 to 7 wins (with a game yet to play). And yes, that's an improvement. But to be honest, if Cal finished 6-6 and then won its bowl game, that too would be a meaningful improvement. But over on the Cal fan boards, people were ready to storm the castle at midseason when 6-6 seemed like the likely outcome. Posters were personally insulting players and coaches. Unrealistic expectations can lead to bad conclusions even if the actual results are decent.

6-6 is an unrealistic expectation? Serious? I expect bowl games every year and usually 6-6 is not good enough but it will be for next year.

This is similar to my thread yesterday about Embree as potential Coach of the Year next year. I think if we go bowling next year, he has a good shot at it. Turns out some of the players and Embree himself are now on record that the goal for next year is to go bowling.

http://www.dailycamera.com/cu-college-sports/ci_19432535

I absolutely think this is doable given the easier schedule, 1 year of experience w/ new staff and new culture, some of the dead weight graduating and some promising new players at key positions. What do you guys think? Is Embree setting himself up for failure or is this a realistic goal? We all have seen empty promises and a lot of coach speak from Hawk and even Barnett with the RTD which never really happened.

:rofl2:

Unpossible. 2013 would be the year in my mind. By then we would have 2 recruiting classes and a QB with a year of experience. But if we do that would be great.

Whatever. Coaches have to set goals and try to achieve 'em.

Jon Embree is 1-0 in his season goals. Might have taken him to the last game, but he got the season goal of ending the streak.

Next year it might take him till the last game as well to get his goal, but I bet he does.

I think that while you are subtracting because of the seniors graduating you aren't really adding due to the very very significant schedule upgrade from this year to next.

I wholeheartedly agree the schedule sets up better in 2012. The buffs needed FOUR more wins to qualify for post season. They weren't even in sniffing distance.

But when the Buffs did win, it was primarily on the playmaking abilities of Hansen, Stewart, Clemmons and Richardson (and Miller, Adkins, Perkins, Sandersfeild, ect)

The loss of experience is a big deal. The newbies have a steep learning curve. I fully expect CU's drive stalling penalties to drive us nuts next year. With all the new blood, the yellow flags are likely to be on par with this year, if not worse. Interceptions and fumbles are likely to be worse.

The two deep on both offense and defense is another risk. If Richardson gets banged up, like he did in 2011, there is not much experience on the bench to fill in. It took Clemmons until November of his senior year for the light to come on. These new guys have talent, but also much to learn about the playbook, running routes, downfield blocking, and playing for four complete quarters.

The CU defense was banged up most of this last season, resulting in some very lopsided and embarrassing losses. That same injury threat extends into next year. The two deep at any DB position could be better.

The bottom line is that next year's team is a big mystery. I say 5-7 for now exactly because of the schedule. If the 2012 schedule looked anything like the 2011 schedule, I'd be thinking 2-10.

... That's where I'm at until there is more concrete evidence that team Embree 2.0 is actually seen on the field in person, playing as a unit. It's dangerous to imagine that the 2011 team will be an extension of the Utah and Arizona games.

I am confident that the goal of playing in a bowl in 2013 will be easily within reach. For 2012, it's possible, but it's a stretch.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fresno is not what they used to be, more like a SJSU and the road monkey is off our backs

I skimmed the thread, but did anyone else notice this? Were you fishing last weekend? Wait, as I type this, I realize you meant that our road monkey is already off of our backs, not that it will be after the Fresno game...gotcha.. :thumbsup:

is this the same Conner Wood who transferred from Texas as he didnt have what it takes in Brian Harsin's eyes to beat out David Ash, Case McCoy..... and even better Garrett Gilbert who has also quit the team and transferred to SMU??

I agree.... with the last comment comment....

I feel like sharing my negrep comment with the rest of the board, but I don't quite remember what I said because I have been drinking a lot...either way, it was something like this: "you're a ****ing cocksucker, and if that means LB has a dick, so be it. eat**** -- Rugged"

You're a troll. Drown scubadiving.

BOWL GAME is realistic and should be EXPECTED. This isn't coach simple jack part 2. When the 'wait til 2014-2015 "posts start, it's war.

BOWL GAME is realistic and should be EXPECTED. This isn't coach simple jack part 2. When the 'wait til 2014-2015 "posts start, it's war.
:stupid: I think 2014 is a good target for competing for Pac 12 Championship-but we should be going for 6 wins this year

Back