What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Buffs staying in Big 12 until 2012

This part about two years notice being cheaper is total crap. Anyone with an 8th grade education can do that math. Let's say we get 10 million from the Big 12 every year for this hypothetical. We would be forfeiting a total of 10 million over two years or 8 million over a single year. That's a pretty big difference. Is the camera too cheap to purchase calculators or is Ringo just "intellectually challenged?"

The Big 12 is interpreting the bylaws as 80% of the previous two years if given one year notice and 50% (or whatever it is) for two years if given 2 years notice. This is part of the negotiation.

This part about two years notice being cheaper is total crap. Anyone with an 8th grade education can do that math. Let's say we get 10 million from the Big 12 every year for this hypothetical. We would be forfeiting a total of 10 million over two years or 8 million over a single year. That's a pretty big difference. Is the camera too cheap to purchase calculators or is Ringo just "intellectually challenged?"

Yeah, that's a good point. But the real question is how much will CU make in the Pac 12 in 2011 vs. what we'd get if we stayed in the Big 12.

None of it makes any difference, though, the Big 12 won't want to play with 11 teams in 2011. I doubt that the Big 12 makes out much better financially if CU stays and gets a 1/2 share of revenues than if they play with 10 teams.

I think CU is doing the right thing, just wait for the Big 12 to blink.

ISo it makes a certain sense to allow Nebraska to fight this one out and then decide whether to take the same deal or simply play the 2011 season in the Big 12.

(Or use the Nebraska deal as a baseline and make the "stay in 2011" threat as leverage to get an even better deal.

That's what I was hoping you'd say....

Purely negotiating tactic. I have confidence in Douchestano will take down Baghdad Beebe in this game of poker. I doubt that 20 million guaranteed for OU, Aggy and UT was determined by a pie split by 11.

The problem with this thread is the fact that we aren't relishing our role as spoilers for the big Tex conference. The buffs hold all the cards in this negotiation. CU already has a new gig locked up and can go whenever they please. **** the big xii.

This is going to work out just fine. Just negotiating. Let it play out. Here's something to noodle on... Supposedly the little 6 agreed to let the asshole 4 keep all the exit fees. What happens if a proposed settlement with us and nu has to be voted on? How much crap will the little 6 be willing to eat in order to line the bullies' pockets? I can't wait to watch the trainwreck

Colorado staying in until 2012 means that Colorado gets a piece of the new Big 12 TV package for the next two years. Assuming a new Big 12 TV package actually exists, that is.

Big XII playing with 11 teams in 2011 ... in the immortal words of Sackman, "what could go wrong"?

Big XII playing with 11 teams in 2011 ... in the immortal words of Sackman, "what could go wrong"?

What, is the bigTex conference going to 10 conf games in '11? Do we have to cancel 2 OOC's and pay out the ying yang?

Gee, maybe we can talk the macksters into this -- each north team gets an auto win (forfeit) on behalf of the nubbies. Sounds fair to me.

Yes we would be taking a piece of the Big 12 pie which would not sit well with ku, baylor, osu etc..... Stay strong Bohn!

I don't know if I should be pissed or happy. I want out of the BIG 12 now. If it causes texass pain well....

This hasn't been announced on CU's website as of this morning so it isn't official until it is announced.

I wonder if this will pull the Pac10 into the fray. I'm sure they'd rather have even numbers for conference scheduling. In fact, it seems that neither the bigMac conference nor the Pac10 would want to do one year with 11 members. jmho

These must be some fun negotiations that Bohn is going through right now. Guys gotta be busy as hell.

So if CU stays in the Mac10 in 2012, does that mean we get a portion of the Nebraska exit fees?

So if CU stays in the Mac10 in 2012, does that mean we get a portion of the Nebraska exit fees?

That's allsome! Of course we'd just give the revenue to aTm, OU and Texas as gratitude for staying put.

This may turn out well for the Buffs. This would allow us an extra year to recover from the Hawkins Era. I really don't want to get embarrassed next season in the Pac10.
You are right there - plus we save a ton of money.
Only 50% of Big 12 income lost if we leave after 2012 vs 80% if we leave after this year. We can use that money saved to replace dip$hit.
New conference and new coach - sounds good.

Last edited:
It looks like being the first domino to fall in the realignment game may be to our advantage even more. We have given our 2 years notice. If the league wants us out earlier, they should have to give something up as well.

That's a surprisingly good article from WSU, but the rest of the world is still convinced Hawk only kept his job because we couldn't afford the buyout.

That's a surprisingly good article from WSU, but the rest of the world is still convinced Hawk only kept his job because we couldn't afford the buyout.

I just addressed that in remarks. Not that the entire football watching world is reading the Cougar board. But one fanbase at a time...

I just addressed that in remarks. Not that the entire football watching world is reading the Cougar board. But one fanbase at a time...

That should be tweeted/facebooked all over the place to help spread the word. It might not do much, but it could.

You're Walto Clown? Kudos to you if so. Nice post to set the record straight on the ability to buyout Hawk...

You are right there - plus we save a ton of money.
Only 50% of Big 12 income lost if we leave after 2012 vs 80% if we leave after this year. We can use that money saved to replace dip$hit.
New conference and new coach - sounds good.

Giving up 50% of your income for two years is typically more than giving up 80% of your income for one year. It is less than a certainty that staying in the Big XII for 2011 saves CU anything.

Giving up 50% of your income for two years is typically more than giving up 80% of your income for one year. It is less than a certainty that staying in the Big XII for 2011 saves CU anything.

Perhaps CU can afford a $5 million hit, but not a $8 million hit - in a given year. Also figure in that CU is going to be paying Hawkins $2 mil to leave in a few months.

That's not how it's being interpreted by the Big 12.

2 years notice = an 50% hit for the two years prior to leaving. --> Big 12 withholds 50% of revenue for next two years. (~$5m per year for $10m total)
1 years notice = an 80% hit for the two years prior to leaving. --> Big 12 withholds 80% of revenue this year and seeks payment for 80% of revenue from last year. (~$8m per year for $16m total)

Back