What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Justin M Guerriero

Club Member
Club Member
The Colorado Buffaloes men’s basketball team hosted the Xavier Musketeers on Wednesday night at Coors Events Center. After trailing 31-28 at halftime and despite falling behind by as much as nine in the second half, the Buffs battled back and earned the win, 68-66.

“We knew it was going to be a hell of a game,” head coach Tad Boyle said after the win. “They battled and scratched and showed their toughness…that’s why this win is a big win for our program.”

Three years to the day of Askia Booker’s legendary three-pointer that lifted Colorado to a 75-72 win over No. 6 Kansas, the Buffs brought their A-game and took down the No. 13 team in the country.

Three Buffaloes put the team on their backs on Wednesday evening. Colorado’s George King, Xavier Johnson and Derrick White combined to score 57 out of the team’s 68 points.

Whereas in some past contests, the Buffaloes have started off cold, against Xavier, Colorado was able to keep pace with the high-powered Musketeers through the first half. Heading into the matchup, Xavier had three starters averaging more than 15 points per game. The Buffs were unable to contain the Musketeers’ main weapon Trevon Bluiett, who led all scorers with 27 points, but held strong against Xavier’s other two studs.

Colorado held J.P. Macura to eight total points while allowing 10 to Edmond Sumner.

The Buffs and Musketeers were pretty neck and neck throughout the first half. The largest lead of the first half through the first 17 minutes was just three points, which both teams held at separate points. The Buffs clicked with time winding down in the half, with King, Johnson and White all sinking shots from deep within 90 seconds of each other.

But following a timeout, the Musketeers clawed their way back into the game and retook the lead, going on an 8-0 run from about the three-minute mark. The Buffaloes headed into the locker room at halftime down by three, 31-28.

King led the Buffs with 10 first half points. The first half was a bit rough on both squads in terms of shooting. The Buffs managed to convert just under 35 percent of their shots, while Xavier made about 38 percent of its.
The first 10 minutes of the second half saw the Buffaloes fall behind.

Bluiett sank two shots from downtown in 42 seconds to give Xavier its biggest lead of the game, 39-30 with just two minutes shaved off the clock. Bluiett was a constant nuisance to Colorado. He made 18 of his 27 points from beyond the arch, going 6-of-13 from downtown.

With the score at 39-30, Johnson made a nice layup which was followed shortly thereafter by a jumper by White, who was fouled on the play and converted from the charity stripe, lowering Colorado’s deficit, although the Buffs still trailed, 39-35 with a bit over 16 minutes left in the game.

The most critical phase of the game came with 12:21 left in the contest. The Buffaloes had fallen behind again, this time down 47-39. White's free throw ignited a 15-0 run by Colorado which saw four straight three-pointers by the Buffs, one from King, another from White and the final two being made by Johnson.

The Buffs took a 54-47 lead at that point, to the maddening cheers of the fans at the Keg.
After scoring 10 in the first half, King finished with 16 points and 10 rebounds, his third double double in the last six games.

“It’s all about getting stops,” White said. “That’s the most important part. We focus on getting three in a row, obviously e did that. Offensively, we moved the ball and got the best shot(s).”

Finals, the snow and the chilling cold clearly got to many Buffalunatics on Wednesday night, as a measly 7,743 fans showed up with the Buffs hosting the No. 13 team in the nation.

“The rest of the students that weren’t here missed a great game and I was disappointed in that turnout,” Boyle said.

Colorado struggled to make baskets in the first half, the Buffs improved immensely in the final 20 minutes, making an impressive 15-of-27 shots from the floor, good for a near 56 percent conversion rate. Xavier fared worse; it shot just 0.4 percent better than it did in the first half.

But if it’s true that an animal is most dangerous after being wounded and pushed into a corner, the same could be said of the Xavier Musketeers, who refused to go down quietly. Xavier went on a 4-0 run which brought the score to 54-51, CU, with a bit over five minutes remaining in the game.

White sank one from long range with 3:38 remaining to give the Buffaloes a 61-54 edge. To say that White had a good final half would be a grievous understatement. The senior transfer from University of Colorado, Colorado Springs made seven field goals and scored 18 points in the final 20 minutes of the game. His 23 points led the Buffaloes.

“That’s absolutely what I was envisioning with [White] coming here,” Boyle said. “If you don’t have players who can make plays down the stretch, you’re not going to win games like this.”

Johnson made a layup, putting the Buffaloes up 63-58 with two and a half minutes to go. From there, Xavier chipped away at its deficit, but was unable to capitalize on numerous chances with the contest a one-possession game. Johnson had a solid outing, posting 18 points and snagging seven boards in the win.

White made a key layup with 29 seconds left, the last of his 23 points, which gave Colorado a 67-63 lead.

Although the Musketeers managed to score with a lone second left on the game clock, the Buffaloes held strong, and a great team effort on one of Xavier’s final offensive possessions sealed their victory.

“We beat a good team when we weren’t at our best,” Boyle said. We didn’t fold our tent or get our heads down…we didn’t have bad body language tonight.”

Whereas last week vs. Colorado State, bad free throw shooting doomed Colorado, the same could be said of Xavier on Wednesday night, as the Musketeers missed eight of their 21 foul shots in the game. The Buffs were bested in the rebounding department, registering 36 to Xavier’s 41.

“[This win] gave our team confidence, so we’re on the rise right now,” said senior forward Wesley Gordon. “We just knew we had to keep with it and really just keep defending.” Gordon led the team with five assists and scored five in the win.

Up next for the 7-2 Buffaloes is a home game vs. Fort Hays State on Saturday, Dec. 10. Tipoff is at 12 p.m. MST.

Contact CU Independent Head Sports Editor Justin Guerriero at justin.guerriero@colorado.edu and follow him on Twitter @TheHungry_Hippo

After the CSU game the Buffs didn't deserve students showing up. Tad should have just come out and said that the team wants support but he recognizes they have to earn it with their play on the court. Further, many of the turnover and sluggish offense issues still came up last night. A certain color commentator actually paid enough attention to the game for a few moments to rip the Buffs a time or five about how they can't expect to win playing basketball that way. Chalk last nights win up to CU having the talent to beat anyone, just like a few years ago against Kansas...but don't think they have suddenly fixed their problems. Those still exist.

Among people who understand NCAA basketball, Xavier is a premier program. Among fair weather fans who don't know ****, I'll bet there were a lot of folks out there who have no clue how important this game was. Plus, it was colder than a well digger's ass. Also, my kids went to some concert in Boulder. Any of you whipper snappers know who was playing and if they could've sucked away basketball attendance?

My youngest is a big CU fan and bball fan. We'd talked about going. But when it got close he said he just wasn't into basketball mode yet. That's the way it is for a lot of folks. Especially coming off "fotball mode" which, for the last ten years ended in October.

Justin - great article. I appreciate the hard work you are doing.

Just a thought. CU just knocked off the #13 team in the country and yet your title ignores that and emphasizes the attendance being ****ty (which isn't a big focus of the article). Might want to re-think the subject lines to match the primary point of the article.

Please keep it up!

Well yea. I also find it tiresome that people aren't showing up.
We still are not out of the bandwagon stage for BBall. Combine the CSU completely mailed in effort with the coldest day of the season yet, and that attendance is exactly zero surprise. Tad and team and control half that equation.

We still are not out of the bandwagon stage for BBall. Combine the CSU completely mailed in effort with the coldest day of the season yet, and that attendance is exactly zero surprise. Tad and team and control half that equation.
oh yea, agreed. I think attendance was right where I thought it would be. Less students than I thought, more of us 35 year olds.

Doesn't mean it's not frustrating.

I honestly think that the students may have hit a plateau that won't be eclipsed without a prolonged undefeated streak in conference. Perhaps a little spoiled/apathetic with the recent abundance of tournament appearances and the lack of first round wins.

I honestly think that the students may have hit a plateau that won't be eclipsed without a prolonged undefeated streak in conference. Perhaps a little spoiled/apathetic with the recent abundance of tournament appearances and the lack of first round wins.

I agree. They need that next thing to get excited about to take it to the next level.

Turnout....I was there (I've been going since Joe Harrington era). But I don't want to hear any crap about turnout from the coach players or admin. First off the csu game was disgusting and may take 4 great games for them to build up fan repoire. Secondly........PARKING

I was northbound on 28th Street approaching Colorado Ave. at 6:28 pm.
I was not able to be inside the arena until 720 pm.
Kind of hard to TURN OUT when they can't even get cars in parking lots.
And clearly parking was in LESS demand last night with a smaller crowd. I came close myself to turning away and going home. I was waved past LOT AFTER LOT where I could SEE spots and cars leaving. These are lots I have used in prior years without any trouble.

Turnout....I was there (I've been going since Joe Harrington era). But I don't want to hear any crap about turnout from the coach players or admin. First off the csu game was disgusting and may take 4 great games for them to build up fan repoire. Secondly........PARKING

And clearly parking was in LESS demand last night with a smaller crowd. I came close myself to turning away and going home. I was waved past LOT AFTER LOT where I could SEE spots and cars leaving. These are lots I have used in prior years without any trouble.

They have messed with parking rules a bit this year without signage or telling anybody. Has made parking a bit of a pain.

I am sick so I decided not to drive to Boulder in freezing temps. I was really excited about this game so it was disappointing to miss.

Yeah, the CSU game was a huge buzzkill too.

What's tiresome is the fans/students not showing up.We lost to csu boo hoo, I'm not going again until we win 10 straight. Whatever, that's weak.
Finals probably didn't help. We need to get the professors on board and cancel final exams, reports, etc.

Finals probably didn't help. We need to get the professors on board and cancel final exams, reports, etc.
I second this notion. I was there as well. There was some kid sitting in the front row that literally was an embarrassment to all of CU. He kept saying stupid **** to Xavier. I don't mind riding them, but he was yelling "Chris" the entire game to get off the court. He continuously yelled it during a timeout...

What's tiresome is the fans/students not showing up.We lost to csu boo hoo, I'm not going again until we win 10 straight. Whatever, that's weak.

We have to be better at winning over the casual students/fans. It wasn't just that we lost to CSU, it was also one of the least entertaining games I've ever watched.

They have messed with parking rules a bit this year without signage or telling anybody. Has made parking a bit of a pain.
last night was first time I ever had a problem getting out. got directed to the parking garage that's across Regent and West of the CEC and it took 20 minutes to get out after the game. usually I part off-campus, but was running late last night (and it was cold AF).

Do you have a link or any additional information, as I had the same experience as @buffalo1 last night?
No links or anything. Just know that I have tried this year to enter the parking garage from the north side basement entrance. They apparently made that for donors only. No signage, no tweet, nothing.

Last night traffic was a mess when I arrived because they hadn't set up the cones yet and didn't have any of the guys out with the wands to direct anything. Big free for all.

i agree!...ive never seen more cones on streets than for cu hoops....also there are more parking attendents standing around doing nothing but snarling traffic more...

Back