What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Buffs vs. Arizona pregame thread

Completely changing coaching styles in-season to the hard ass approach won't work. That mentality needs to be instilled from day 1 of offseason training and continued until the team goes into weekly game prep routine. Beating the **** out of the players, mid season, because they are out-manned in the trenches isn't going to do anything except wear them down even more.

Who's talking about beating the **** out of anyone? But, Jesus, if a head coach needs to motivate a soft team mid-season, so be it. **** it, let's just give them all participation trophies and a pizza party and call it a season.

Who's talking about beating the **** out of anyone? But, Jesus, if a head coach needs to motivate a soft team mid-season, so be it. **** it, let's just give them all participation trophies and a pizza party and call it a season.
I think you need to realize there is a valid point to be made against pushing guys harder due to the schedule and injury issues, despite hyperbole on both sides (I assume the beating the **** comment was from someone else). Besides, the problem hasn't been effort, it's been execution.

I think you need to realize there is a valid point to be made against pushing guys harder due to the schedule and injury issues, despite hyperbole on both sides (I assume the beating the **** comment was from someone else). Besides, the problem hasn't been effort, it's been execution.

And you need to realize that good execution is a direct result of hard work and preparation. If the team is not executing then they need to be motivated to do so, injuries and schedule are no excuse. Doing what we've been doing, or taking it easy on the guys that are not injured, is only going to get us the same results. Football is hard and going easier on the players isn't doing them any favors. It's what got us the soft team that we see every week.

The general mentality has changed when it comes to football, whether you like it or not. It used to be commonplace for coaches to run their players ragged or force them into never-ending Oklahoma drills in the attempt to "toughen them up". That sort of thing, especially in the middle of the season, doesn't motivate players in the slightest, and it exposes them to injuries and general body fatigue that ends up working against the team on game day.

As Darth said, this team is not losing because they lack effort or toughness. They are losing because they haven't been able to execute on the offensive side of the ball and have eventually worn down on the defensive side. They are so clearly out-manned in the trenches and that's where their 3 losses have come from.

I knew deep down that ASU would not be a good game.
Arizona will be tough, but it's at home and this entire program (not just hte team) NEED a PAC 12 win in the worst way.
What a better way to do it than against a solid competitor at home....a team that competes every year.

We could have beaten OU and Hawaii, but if we can get a win, that will start the change needed.

We also need to beat WSU and OSU as well....maybe UW is winnable, too....but etiher way, it has to start now.

And you need to realize that good execution is a direct result of hard work and preparation. If the team is not executing then they need to be motivated to do so, injuries and schedule are no excuse. Doing what we've been doing, or taking it easy on the guys that are not injured, is only going to get us the same results. Football is hard and going easier on the players isn't doing them any favors. It's what got us the soft team that we see every week.
if they aren't motivated at this point, they aren't motivated. Disagree with you on your prescribed treatment. Feel free to judge.

anyways, for those who want to see how HCMM is doing.
https://www.periscope.tv/w/1gqxveBNEegJB

Kronshage will be back at LT. No Gillam, probably.

My main thought on this game is this: If we commit to running the ball, we can win it. If we don't, or panic early, we will see more of the same.

I knew deep down that ASU would not be a good game.
Arizona will be tough, but it's at home and this entire program (not just hte team) NEED a PAC 12 win in the worst way.
What a better way to do it than against a solid competitor at home....a team that competes every year.

We could have beaten OU and Hawaii, but if we can get a win, that will start the change needed.

We also need to beat WSU and OSU as well....maybe UW is winnable, too....but etiher way, it has to start now.
Do you people even look at a schedule before you spout off?

The general mentality has changed when it comes to football, whether you like it or not. It used to be commonplace for coaches to run their players ragged or force them into never-ending Oklahoma drills in the attempt to "toughen them up". That sort of thing, especially in the middle of the season, doesn't motivate players in the slightest, and it exposes them to injuries and general body fatigue that ends up working against the team on game day.

As Darth said, this team is not losing because they lack effort or toughness. They are losing because they haven't been able to execute on the offensive side of the ball and have eventually worn down on the defensive side. They are so clearly out-manned in the trenches and that's where their 3 losses have come from.

Ok, whatever you say. Don't tell that to guys like Nick Saban and Urban Meyer, though. You know, the coaches who actually win ****.

Ok, whatever you say. Don't tell that to guys like Nick Saban and Urban Meyer, though. You know, the coaches who actually win ****.

Mac isn't urban meyer/Nick Saban, and this isn't alabama/ohio state. Just because it works in one place doesn't mean it would here. They also would probably lighten a practice in the middle of a 13 game season in which injuries had decimated the thinnest positions on the team.

So, I take it you know how Saban and Meyer run their in-season practices? Awesome comparison, btw. Arguably the two best college coaches of this generation at two of the most storied programs of all time. Just. Freaking. Awesome!

Mac isn't urban meyer/Nick Saban, and this isn't alabama/ohio state. Just because it works in one place doesn't mean it would here. They also would probably lighten a practice in the middle of a 13 game season in which injuries had decimated the thinnest positions on the team.

Didn't say he was. And what's "working here" isn't working here.

So, I take it you know how Saban and Meyer run their in-season practices? Awesome comparison, btw. Arguably the two best college coaches of this generation at two of the most storied programs of all time. Just. Freaking. Awesome!

From the guy who knows what Rick George is thinking at all times. Really. Freaking. Awesome! And don't we aspire to be the best? And damn, do a little research. Saban seems like a real sweetheart.

My main thought on this game is this: If we commit to running the ball, we can win it. If we don't, or panic early, we will see more of the same.

I hope you're wrong, because I know how this is going to turn out. First 9 plays against ASU:
  • 1st and 10 at COLO 25
    (15:00 - 1st) Sefo Liufau sacked by Demetrius Cherry and Antonio Longino for a loss of 3 yards to the Colo 22
  • 2nd and 13 at COLO 22
    (15:00 - 1st) Sefo Liufau pass complete to Nelson Spruce for 7 yds to the Colo 29
  • 3rd and 6 at COLO 29
    (15:00 - 1st) Sefo Liufau pass complete to Jay MacIntyre for 18 yds to the Colo 47 for a 1ST down
  • 1st and 10 at COLO 47
    (15:00 - 1st) Sefo Liufau pass incomplete to Nelson Spruce
  • 2nd and 10 at COLO 47
    (15:00 - 1st) Sefo Liufau pass complete to Bryce Bobo for 8 yds to the ArzSt 4
  • 3rd and 2 at ASU 45
    (15:00 - 1st) Sefo Liufau pass incomplete
  • (11:02 - 1st) Zane Gonzalez kickoff for 65 yds for a touchback
  • 1st and 10 at COLO 25
  • (11:02 - 1st) Sefo Liufau pass incomplete
  • 2nd and 10 at COLO 25
  • 3rd and 10 at COLO 25
  • (11:02 - 1st) Sefo Liufau pass intercepted Kareem Orr return for 30 yds to the Colo 15

Reactions: SBG
I hope you're wrong, because I know how this is going to turn out. First 9 plays against ASU:
  • 1st and 10 at COLO 25
    (15:00 - 1st) Sefo Liufau sacked by Demetrius Cherry and Antonio Longino for a loss of 3 yards to the Colo 22
  • 2nd and 13 at COLO 22
    (15:00 - 1st) Sefo Liufau pass complete to Nelson Spruce for 7 yds to the Colo 29
  • 3rd and 6 at COLO 29
    (15:00 - 1st) Sefo Liufau pass complete to Jay MacIntyre for 18 yds to the Colo 47 for a 1ST down
  • 1st and 10 at COLO 47
    (15:00 - 1st) Sefo Liufau pass incomplete to Nelson Spruce
  • 2nd and 10 at COLO 47
    (15:00 - 1st) Sefo Liufau pass complete to Bryce Bobo for 8 yds to the ArzSt 4
  • 3rd and 2 at ASU 45
    (15:00 - 1st) Sefo Liufau pass incomplete
  • (11:02 - 1st) Zane Gonzalez kickoff for 65 yds for a touchback
  • 1st and 10 at COLO 25
  • 2nd and 10 at COLO 25
  • 3rd and 10 at COLO 25
  • (11:02 - 1st) Sefo Liufau pass intercepted Kareem Orr return for 30 yds to the Colo 15
Thanks, that was depressing.

I think this is an important game because this team has come out and said they are ready to turn things around. Another loss and that just becomes more meaningless rhetoric. I have no idea if Arizona is very good. The games they lost they were missing their starting QB. Arizona is the opposite of ASU...good offense, so so defense but they are probably better than Oregon.

Rich Rod is a good coach and will be aiming for this game. They have lost 2 already and he is not going to be happy. The key is to not let them get a big lead.
Playing at home should be the big equalizer for the Buffs.
And I agree, lose this game and I think they fly off the rails and into the ditch.

This is why you'll notice I don't take season prediction threads seriously and don't really participate. You're talking about preseason expectations and complaining about a revisionist future. That's ridiculous.

Preseason, ASU & UO both figured to be around top 15 teams, UA about the same. So far, opponents are much worse than expected and the Buffs still aren't performing. That script needs to change and people are running out of patience. This week is huge.
Before the season started, I would say that general consensus was that the Buffs should go 4-0 OOC and 0-3 in the first 3 conference games. Given the performances by CU's opponents, I'd say that it's fair to have adjusted expectations.

If the Buffs somehow pull out a win on Saturday, what are your expectations for the rest of the season? what about if they lose? I'm not calling you out, just genuinely interested to know.

Back