What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Buffs vs. UMass pregame thread

Was Sefo so afraid of an interception that he got WAY tentative last week? If so, I hope he's over it and let's it rip, INT's or not.

He definitely played very tight, almost like the turnover issue was overstressed during the offseason. Who knows.

From an outsider's perspective, it seems the Denver media has always considered CSU their little darlings while harboring animosity towards CU. I don't get it. I've never seen another media market this hostile toward their state's flagship university. Even the "positive" coverage almost always contains some thinly veiled insults, which is why I avoid the Post coverage like the plague. Hopefully though, with a big win tomorrow and Minny hammering CSU, maybe we'll get some decent coverage, but I doubt it.

A couple of things, The Denver media has always treated CSU kindly but did not give them the coverage other than when they did something. This has changed over the last 5 years. CU has lost a good part of its local esteem -part of this is the poor performance but in my opinion a larger part is the move to the PAC 12 - it just does not have the intensity in the competition the Big 8/12 use to. CU is the self-proclaimed flagship university but is not embraced that way in the state - part of that is CUs fault and part of it is just the overall changes in the State demographics - percentage wise very few local kids go to CU Boulder anymore so a lot of connection is lost locally. Other schools in the State are taking many more local students, Metro State has about 25,000 students, UCD has ~20,000, UNC ~12,000. So CU's influence on the local populace is diminished.

As DBT has pointed out, I too have noticed that CSU is now getting equal press to CU which is a new phenomenon and I don't see that changing. I don't blame the press - they need to go where the stories are and where the interest is....they are fighting for their own existence.

CU has around 17,000 undergraduate in state kids. CSU has around 19,500 undergraduate instate kids. I don't think that is a huge difference.

What are the overall undergrad student numbers for each?
Good question. CU is at 31,000 and CSU is 32,000

It's odd, though, that I agree with BnG's impression. To me, CU is the out-of-state destination school, and CSU is the in-state school. Who knew?

Sorry: I missed the undergrad part.

According to Forbes, Total CU enrollment is 32,017 and total CSU enrollment is 31,186. Undergraduate is what I posted above (26,096 for CU and 23,548 for CSU).

As DBT has pointed out, I too have noticed that CSU is now getting equal press to CU which is a new phenomenon and I don't see that changing. I don't blame the press - they need to go where the stories are and where the interest is....they are fighting for their own existence.

It's not some phenomenon. CSU is getting more local exposure simply because they are coming off a 10 win season for the first time in a decade and are considered relevant, especially after the beat down they put on SSU last week. If they end up with a 5-7 record and miss a bowl game this year, their exposure will completely diminish back to what it was pre-McElwain. In fact, I would guess this happens sooner if they get their asses handed to them by Minnesota this week.

CU has around 17,000 undergraduate in state kids. CSU has around 19,500 undergraduate instate kids. I don't think that is a huge difference.

That was really not the point. The point is that a very small percentage of Colorado HS graduates go to CU (or CSU for that matter). About 75,000 students graduate from Colorado every year with 60% of those enrolling in college. Only about 3300 enroll at CU which means that less than 10% of In State HS kids go to CU. The end result is you break a big connection with the community.

That was really not the point. The point is that a very small percentage of Colorado HS graduates go to CU (or CSU for that matter). About 75,000 students graduate from Colorado every year with 60% of those enrolling in college. Only about 3300 enroll at CU which means that less than 10% of In State HS kids go to CU. The end result is you break a big connection with the community.

This is the case a lot of places though. You don't have to go to a school to be a fan.

It's not some phenomenon. CSU is getting more local exposure simply because they are coming off a 10 win season for the first time in a decade and are considered relevant, especially after the beat down they put on SSU last week. If they end up with a 5-7 record and miss a bowl game this year, their exposure will completely diminish back to what it was pre-McElwain. In fact, I would guess this happens sooner if they get their asses handed to them by Minnesota this week.

Disagree with you. The dynamic has changed. To the local populace that has no connection to either school, CSU is just as interesting as CU from a reporting standpoint. Overall interest in College Football is not that strong in Colorado. I have followed local sports for over 50 years, and it is a lot different now than it was 20 years ago. CSU was getting more press even before McElwain - Lubick had a lot to do with putting them on the map but the overall local dynamic has changed.

This is the case a lot of places though. You don't have to go to a school to be a fan.
That is true because the school is part of the community and the local populaces egos are embedded with the College teams (look at Nebraska - almost everyone in that state is emotional invested in that team). That just is not the case in Colorado.

Disagree with you. The dynamic has changed. To the local populace that has no connection to either school, CSU is just as interesting as CU from a reporting standpoint. Overall interest in College Football is not that strong in Colorado. I have followed local sports for over 50 years, and it is a lot different now than it was 20 years ago. CSU was getting more press even before McElwain - Lubick had a lot to do with putting them on the map but the overall local dynamic has changed.

The numbers do contribute to the amount of coverage given to each institution, but what it doesn't explain is the animosity toward CU that is prevalent in many of the media outlets. It seems in every article I read, or segment I watch, they're constantly taking shots at CU. I get that we've been pretty crappy over the last decade so we're an easy target. But why the hostility? Indifference would make sense, but the animosity baffles me.

The animosity is a little weird, and I'm not sure what the dynamic is that causes it. The fact that a lot of Colorado students can't get admitted even if they wanted to attend plays a part, the fact that CU is a very liberal institution and large swathes of the state are very conservative plays a part, the **** show of closing the journalism school (remember, we're talking about journalists' reporting here), then not, then re-opening but calling it something else, plays a part, the fact that CSU has more alumni in the state than CU and has promoted it as a "rivalry" plays a part, and probably a bunch of other stuff I'm missing. It's a complicated puzzle.

PS: CU isn't the "self proclaimed" flagship university, it's the flagship university because of its historic and legal status in the state. Ever asked yourself why we elect CU regents, but not CSU regents? CU was established by the state constitution, all the other state schools were established by various other state agencies, and are answerable to the governor and legislature (eventually they were all gathered under the dept of education, but many were actually established and operated for years under the authority of other agencies). The reason CU isn't under that same department - see the constitution. This legal status gives the governor and state legislature much less control over CU than they would like, which also probably feeds a little bit into the animus seen in the media...

What pisses me off is that The Post has a dedicated beat writer, Frei, for CSU but seems to use a hodgepodge for the Buffs. And since Frei is also a columnist, he writes both columns and stories on them. That leaves assholes like Kiszla to occasionally writ a column on CU, and we know how that goes.

I stopped getting pissed off at the Denver Post when it stopped being a relevant source of news - roughly 10 years ago.

I stopped getting pissed off at the Denver Post when it stopped being a relevant source of news - roughly 10 years ago.
I'm a newspaper reader. I'm not pissed at them. I blame the Buffs. If they'd take care of business they'd get the press. The Buffs don't deserve any good press. That said, I'm sick of the lazy assed writers and radio guys who pontificate about CU when they don't know what the hell they're talking about. Like that dick head Lamme.

I'm a newspaper reader. I'm not pissed at them. I blame the Buffs. If they'd take care of business they'd get the press. The Buffs don't deserve any good press.

You misunderstand. Denver Post and "good press" are mutually exclusive. They don't mix.

DBT, I could print out our BSN articles and have an intern put them on your doorstep every morning, would that help?

DBT, I could print out our BSN articles and have an intern put them on your doorstep every morning, would that help?
Hey, man. I am completely digitized! I do not actually get a hard copy. I'm hip, man. The cat's meow, so to speak. I groove on line. As a matter of fact, I just read the paper on my intelligent phone.

Hey, man. I am completely digitized! I do not actually get a hard copy. I'm hip, man. The cat's meow, so to speak. I groove on line. As a matter of fact, I just read the paper on my intelligent phone.
4c92f0f1_3eYWHvol.jpeg

Got this in email today, glad CU is going on the marketing offensive:

I want to provide you with advanced notice of an issue I will address in my monthly electronic newsletter, which will distribute this week. CU is preparing to launch a significant marketing campaign aimed at elevating our four campuses.

I think of the work you do as CU Advocates as earned marketing. You engage with the university at events, you use the knowledge you gain as an Advocate to promote CU to your circles of influence, you influence public opinion and elected officials. I appreciate all that you do for us. You are a valuable asset to CU. We do various other forms of earned marketing, ranging from speaking and writing I do to CU for Colorado, which involves the nearly 300 academic, research and cultural programs CU provides in communities across Colorado that serve more than one million people each year in the state.

The marketing campaign will largely focus on paid advertising. Our goals to convey are: value and contributions of CU in Colorado and beyond; to make connections among the primary marketing efforts on our campuses; to advance our outreach and engagement, particularly fundraising; and to remind people we have four unique campuses making extraordinary contributions every day.

We are marketing because we have great stories to tell about CU and what we do for people in Colorado and beyond. We also face stiff competition, not only for top students, faculty and staff, donations, research funding and other resources, but also from traditional colleges and universities, for-profit schools and a surging number of online institutions.

Our creative concept is All Four:Colorado. It aims to promote that CU has four campuses that have a substantial impact on our communities and our state. It will have various creative executions tied to the work we do. For instance, you will see All Four:Innovation (highlighting our research strengths), All Four:Health Care (focusing on the clinical care we provide across the state); All Four:progress (promoting our industry contributions and economic impact). You may have seen our 30-second TV commercial during the Broncos last preseason game or the CU Buffs opener. You can also view it here. Be on the lookout for more CU marketing that will increase awareness of CU around the state.

The campaign will run through the fall until just before the holidays and then pick up again shortly after the new year and run through spring. We intend this to be a sustained effort over the coming years. Funding comes from initiative funds (interest earnings on CU investments used at my discretion), so no tuition dollars, donor contributions or state funds will be diverted to the effort.

As you saw from my last note to you, our naming of the University of Colorado A Line train to Denver International Airport and our advertising on the Flatiron Flyer on Highway 36 are also part of our effort to market CU.

I hope you’re as excited about this effort as I am. It will help us share all that’s great about CU and position ourselves well for the future.

I appreciate all you do as a CU Advocate and am proud of the program’s success. Thank you.

Please let me know if you have questions or feedback about the marketing campaign. You can contact me at officeofthepresident@cu.edu.

Sincerely,
Bruce D. Benson
President

Most of the media has always pushed every opportunity to tout CSU. Most of them are the guys who weren't good enough, not good enough to actually play sports so they cover them, not good enough to get into a school like CU so they went someplace else and resent those who could go to bigger name schools, not good enough to get jobs for national media outlets so they spend their time engaged in petty local fueds.

When CU returns to being decent or better (someday) and CSU returns to being a bottom feeder in a second rate conference (likely sooner) then the balance will go back in favor of CU but lots of the media hacks won't like it.

Won't matter either way though. In this state college fans drive their own momentum. When we get back to winning and being entertaining our attendance will be back over 45k a game and our TV/Radio ratings will go up significantly. CSU will go back to having a hard time finding 20k people who want to bother coming to their fancy new stadium and most of the state won't care enough to pay attention.

So this will be my first football season living in Texas. I have Direct TV. I take it I'm totally out of luck in watching this game? Not sure that's a bad thing... Just askin!

I'd call it good luck. I've been fortunate to have had DirecTV during this stretch of ****ing ****tiness.

So this will be my first football season living in Texas. I have Direct TV. I take it I'm totally out of luck in watching this game? Not sure that's a bad thing... Just askin!

You can watch online at http://pac-12.com/networks as long as you have a friend who will share his or her cable log in with you. I'm not that friend, BTW.

Back