What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Building the team from the inside out?

We probably ARE 2 or 3 years out. I know that is frustrating, but again, the hole we are digging out of is monstrous.

And that, right there, is what you call class balance. I would imagine that we won't take more than one or two OL in 2016, though. There is such a thing as too many OL, although we haven't had that problem here in... well, ever. The trick will be to make sure that whoever we take in 2016 is a stud. We can't be taking depth guys with that class.
5/22 starters are OLs. Stands to reason that close to 20/85 roster are OLs.

We probably ARE 2 or 3 years out. I know that is frustrating, but again, the hole we are digging out of is monstrous.

The hole was as big as any rebuilding program has had to deal with. The route we have gone with a rebuilding coach without the draw of a huge name necessitates the process we are going thru. Not excusing the slow progress and recruiting has to get better, but I do have to say I am a fan of building a sustainable line on both sides of the ball. We play fundamentally correct and start to own the LOS and we will see the improvement and winning.

5/22 starters are OLs. Stands to reason that close to 20/85 roster are OLs.

I'm nitpicking, so forgive me for a moment, but you're forgetting PK/P/LS. The number is 5/25, not 5/22. That would equate to 17 OL. Make it 18 for good measure.

I get on Slider from time to time, but I don't think he expects us to be competing for conference championships right now. He just thinks we should and could be better than a 2 win team.

SliderNCider for one, but I didn't say posters.

I don't recall Slider saying we should be competing for championships, just being competitive. Slider gets a lot of justified **** on AB but you're wrong on this one.

Slider may have issues with MacIntyre, but has never said anything remotely close to CU should be competing for conference titles right now. Neither has anyone else. Stop making stuff up.

Slider may have issues with MacIntyre, but has never said anything remotely close to CU should be competing for conference titles right now. Neither has anyone else. Stop making stuff up.

It was an over-exaggeration of the expectations some are placing on MacIntyre and the staff coming into the mess that is CU football. R-E-L-A-X, Duff.

HYPERBOLE!!!!

I'm pretty sure it's allowed in the football forum. It's only in the basketball forum where it's been outlawed.

Carry on.

The hole was as big as any rebuilding program has had to deal with. The route we have gone with a rebuilding coach without the draw of a huge name necessitates the process we are going thru. Not excusing the slow progress and recruiting has to get better, but I do have to say I am a fan of building a sustainable line on both sides of the ball. We play fundamentally correct and start to own the LOS and we will see the improvement and winning.
:stupid:

Out from what? If we need another 2 or 3 years to make a bowl we have the wrong coach.

Yes. We're 2-3 years out from making a bowl, IMO. And no, that does not mean we have the wrong coach. It means we were light years behind the rest of the conference in 2012, and it's taken two years to get to the point where we are now. It'll take another 2 years (at least) to become bowl eligible. The rest of the conference isn't sitting on their ass, waiting for us to catch them, you know. In case you haven't noticed, the P12 is undefeated in bowl games so far, and none of the games has been terribly competitive.

Out from what? If we need another 2 or 3 years to make a bowl we have the wrong coach.

If we aren't in a bowl at the end of Mac's 4th year, I would tend to agree. Next year would be nice but unfortunately, they play 13 games and will have to win 7 to do so. Not impossible, but a tall order with a pretty tough schedule.

Yes. We're 2-3 years out from making a bowl, IMO. And no, that does not mean we have the wrong coach. It means we were light years behind the rest of the conference in 2012, and it's taken two years to get to the point where we are now. It'll take another 2 years (at least) to become bowl eligible. The rest of the conference isn't sitting on their ass, waiting for us to catch them, you know. In case you haven't noticed, the P12 is undefeated in bowl games so far, and none of the games has been terribly competitive.

So no expectations for a coach who is getting paid $2MM/year until his 4th or 5th year?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

This is why so many of us were screaming to fire Hawkins in 2009. We knew that failing to do so would set us back a long way. It's why so many of us were screaming to fire Embree, knowing that keeping him around even for another year would probably add 2 years to the rebuilding process. The mistakes of our past are presenting themselves to us in the present. It's why our attendance is so awful. It's why we play 11:00 AM games instead of 2:00 PM games. The mistakes made in 2009 and 2010 (not firing Hawkins in 2009, and then proceeding to hire Embree in 2010) are what is causing our problems right now. There's nothing to indicate that MM is a collossal failure. Barring that, we have little choice but to be patient.
Sucks, I know.

This is why so many of us were screaming to fire Hawkins in 2009. We knew that failing to do so would set us back a long way. It's why so many of us were screaming to fire Embree, knowing that keeping him around even for another year would probably add 2 years to the rebuilding process. The mistakes of our past are presenting themselves to us in the present. It's why our attendance is so awful. It's why we play 11:00 AM games instead of 2:00 PM games. The mistakes made in 2009 and 2010 (not firing Hawkins in 2009, and then proceeding to hire Embree in 2010) are what is causing our problems right now. There's nothing to indicate that MM is a collossal failure. Barring that, we have little choice but to be patient.
Sucks, I know.

Spot on. Keeping the Boise idot scuttled the ship. If a competent HC were hired in 12/09, CU might have only suffered 2-3 more ****ty seasons, and been back in bowl contention by now.

Getting back to the OP, I am interested to see how the new DC views the personnel. Might present an issue.

Sucks, I know.

Are you kidding? Hawk made a bowl in his 2nd season, but you're saying that keeping him too long is why we're in such trouble now. If MM can't make a bowl in his first 4-5 years, you're advocating we make the exact same mistake and keep him?

A bowl game is not that f**king hard. IMO no bowl next year he should be on the hot seat, no bowl the year after and he should be gone.

Last edited:
Getting back to the OP, I am interested to see how the new DC views the personnel. Might present an issue.

I feel like the new DC will be okay with the defensive backfield and defensive tackles but end and linebacker could be an issue. Too many tweeners and not enough play makers.

I would imagine the defensive personnel could pose an issue for convincing a guy to take our DC job.

Are you kidding? Hawk made a bowl his first 4 years, but you're saying that keeping him too long is why we're in such trouble now. If MM can't make a bowl in his first 4-5 years, you're advocating we make the exact same mistake and keep him?

A bowl game is not that f**king hard. IMO no bowl next year he should be on the hot seat, no bowl the year after and he should be gone.

Hawkins had us in a bowl at 6-6 with GB's players and he never did anything else. That was in the Big 12 which was nowhere near as competitive as the Pac 12. Hawkins continued to run the program into the ground with his awful recruiting, terrible relationships with high school coaches, and repeated mishandling of the QB position.

Winning 7 games (the only way CU will be bowl eligible next year) in the Pac 12 is not easy. Now, that might only have to be 3 P12 wins IF they go 4-0 in Non-Con, which is possible. However, winning 7 games next year (which would be the most by a CU team in in 10 years) in the strongest conference and division in college football, is not an easy task.

Sucks, I know.

Sadly this is spot on.

In M2's first year we had some starters who not only would have not started on any other PAC team but would not have started on any other P5 team in the country. We had guys getting regular playing time who would not have been regular players in the MWC.

On top of that we had a team that not only learned to lose but accepted it and embraced it. We were the Washington Generals of college football, the set-up guys for everyone's jokes.

Some people think that M2 should have been able to come in, tell recruits that he was from Colorado and pass them the LOI to sign. It isn't something that just happens. The kids don't remember the top 5 rankings and the Heisman trophy year. As long as they can remember CU has been losing embarassing games.

Now some schools have made "miracle" turnarounds. Usually this involves a big name coach coming and playing fast and loose with the rules. We didn't have a big name coach willing to come in to take control of our train wreck. We have also learned from harsh experience that CU doesn't get the same kind of forgiveness for rules violations as schools like Ohio State, USC, etc. We cheat and the NCAA uses us for an example. Not something we want to risk, even if we were willing to compromise ourselves to win.

We are making big strides forward. M2's first year we were terrible on offense, defense, and special teams. Last year we had an offense that other than turnovers was easily competitive in the PAC12. Our special teams were better by season end but still need significant improvement. The defense still wasn't competitive and now we are looking for a new DC.

I'd love to see us win 7 and go to a bowl next year but don't see any way that happens. To win 4-5 legitimate games next year and give the others a solid game would be a serious step in the right direction again.

Let's not over-emphasize the "7 wins" thing as opposed to "6 wins" on a 12-game schedule. The 13th game that got added is Nicholls State. If that's not a win, the Buffs don't have any business talking about bowl games. We have to go 6-6 on our legit P5 team schedule of 9 Pac-12 teams, Hawai'i, CSU and UMass.

Let's not over-emphasize the "7 wins" thing as opposed to "6 wins" on a 12-game schedule. The 13th game that got added is Nicholls State. If that's not a win, the Buffs don't have any business talking about bowl games. We have to go 6-6 on our legit P5 team schedule of 9 Pac-12 teams, Hawai'i, CSU and UMass.

I've said this to several people, but it's good to hear from somebody else. The extra game is an OOC game that we shouldn't have any problem winning. In the end, if we do manage to get that 7 wins, and somehow pull off a bowl game win, that's 8 wins. That would be incredible and a real boost to the program. 8 wins sounds a lot better than 6, and is easier to sell to a recruit. All because we get Nicholls State on the schedule.

Back