1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burks next season

Discussion in 'Colorado Basketball Message Board' started by tante, Mar 16, 2011.

1. tante

tante Club Member Club Member

anyone else catch Doug Goettlib on the drive (D-Mac, Stink and big Al)? They asked him questions about Colorado not making it and then Big Al brought up having two NBA players on the roster and Doug says who is the 2nd. Apparently he didn't think too much about Higgins in the NBA, and said he sees Burks as a late 1st round pick. Burks will have to play a 2 in the NBA and his outside shot is not there yet and could really use another year in college. I know it is just one guys opinion, but he does make a pretty good point.

I think Tad needs to sell Burks on another year and maybe even tweak the offense a bit around Burks so he does less driving and shoots more from the outside. Imagine this starting 5 next year:

Brown
    Burks
    Dre
    Dufault
    Harris Tunks

that is a damn good starting 5 and they have a good chance to compete well in the PAC:12

2. DBT

DBT Club Member Club Member

I've heard all kinds of things about Burks from "he is projected at 9" to "late first round." I've heard some "experts" say he needs another year. The consensus is that the NBA drafts more on potential. But its hard to go to the NBA and gain experience if you are sitting on the bench. I'd say one more year would benefit his game. Oh, and Gottlieb is a jerk.

3. GoBuffs!!

GoBuffs!! Active Member

I think you are going to have to pick Dre/Dufault, and then one of the Point Guards (hopefuly Spencer, and not Tomlinson) will take the 5th spot. My guess is Dre will get the starting job most of the time, but probably not for every game.

But that brings up a good point, with burks coming back, we would have a great starting 5, and we would have a respectible depth. Again, the big thing I see us missing is a 3pt shooter

4. buffedup

buffedup Cooler than a Popsicle Stand. Club Member

All I know is if Burks sticks around next year, Colorado is immediately a contender for Pac 12 championship at the least.

5. LaserDeathHawk

LaserDeathHawk Club Member Club Member

The only positive to come out of this whole tourney thing is that Mr Burks may see this as a lot of unfinished business and stick around to be part of building something sustained.

a guy can hope right?

6. GoBuffs!!

GoBuffs!! Active Member

:iagree:

7. btbuff

btbuff It's an inside joke Club Member

Almost impressive than that would be our bench. People like Shannon Sharpe, Booker, Dinwiddie, Ben Mills. There could be some definite strength.

8. tante

I actually see Nate moving into Levi's sharpshooter role. He is hitting 45% on his 3s, but he is kinda timid to shoot the Ball. He would be the perfect 7 or 8 off the bench to come in and drain a 3.

9. NashBuff

NashBuff CSU Knob-Slobberer

If I was Boyle, I would sell Burks on playing in the Pac-12 as being a positive for Burks' eventual transition from college to the pro game. The big positive about going to the Pac-12 is that Burks will have to face many new teams he is not familar with and you could say the same thing for any NBA rookie in their first year.

10. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

If I was Boyle, I'd tell Burks that if he's a lottery pick then he's got to go. If he's not going to be in the lottery but he'll be in the 1st round, he's got to strongly consider it. We are talking about millions of dollars here.

11. tante

I agree on the lottery pick part. If a team uses a lottery pick on you, then they are willing to invest the time to let your develop your game. If you are a late 1st round or 2nd round pick, then your chances get severely limited.

12. wsp4820

wsp4820 Sally Club Member Junta Member

As much as I don't like it, I have to agree. Staying in school usually hurts NBA prospects' draft position. Scouts get all crazy about the next great HS prospect or the next Euro star, and experienced NCAA players slip through the cracks. If you can get that first guaranteed contract, it's really worth a serious look at jumping.

13. tante

14. MEBuff

MEBuff Member

If Burks is projected in the late first round and the uncertainty surrounding the current CBA expiring on June 30, it may be wise to stick around for another year. I'm obviously biased, but that is something I would take a serious look at.

15. NashBuff

I have a good feeling that Burks will be back next season. Missing out on the NCAA tourney could end up being a blessing in disguise.

16. Shldr2Shldr

Shldr2Shldr Club Member Club Member

i think the same thing however I am really afraid he is going to be a lottery pick. if thats the case he doesnt really have a choice

17. BuffNut99

BuffNut99 Club Member Club Member

Burks could use another season to fill-out physically, in addition to working on his jump shot. He still looks like a kid. That said, I think he's gone.

18. JRK1212

JRK1212 Troll

If he goes in the back end of the lottery were talking about roughly $1.5 million per year with 3 years guaranteed. Its a nice amount of money but nothing to hang your hat on. Regardless of where he is going to be picked, he would be best served to return for another year and develop his game that way he is better prepared when he reaches the NBA. This would presumabley increace the likelehood that he would be successful in the NBA and get a big time contract down the road. Remember Chauncey came out early and spent the first part of his career as an average player bouncing around to different teams.

19. Del

Del Member

Give the kid his owne key to the new practice facility and get coach Blacken to give him a personalized routine to bulk him up by 20lbs. That fall he took against KU was hard to look at. Imagine what could happen if he tries to drive in the lane against a guy like Howard. He needs a little more size to avoid injury. Another year to develop his game and bulk up plus more exposure with playing in the LA market. That's what I'd try to sell him on.

20. NashBuff

Whoa...you are onto something...Burks having all THAT time to improve his game in the new practice facility? That's another plus for him staying but all we can do is the best for Burks even if he goes to the NBA early.

21. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

tifwiw, but some boosters who sit near me said that they got a 2nd hand report (friend of a friend type thing) that Burks told friends this week that he's coming back.

Based on the timing, I think that if he said it that it was while he was emotional about the NCAA snub. He does really like playing with Shannon and Dre, though.

22. BehindEnemyLines

BehindEnemyLines beware the habu Club Member

Ya know, Nik, I really hope you're right. Those 3 could be a dynamic core, and add in Carlon Brown.....wow. Resolve the post position and this could be a dangerous team.

If Alec is going nba-lottery for sure, well, good luck to him. If not, I hope he makes the right decision.

23. BuffNut99

BuffNut99 Club Member Club Member

may your friend-of-a-friend-of-a-friend be correct

24. SECOBuffsFan

SECOBuffsFan Active Member

Boyle is in a tough situation here

If the kid is being hyped as a lottery pick with NBA people, he has to tell the kid to go try and see how the camps go. Burks can always pull his name out of the draft and come back for one more year.

If their is no labor security (more than likely) and he is projected late first round/early second (no guarantee) he needs to come back.

25. Shldr2Shldr

Shldr2Shldr Club Member Club Member

I think certified lotto pick then he has to go. It would be wrong for Boyle to say otherwise. If however he is on the outside of the top 10 in the first round he should stay, especially with the labor issue thats going on. I would love to see him in black and gold again next year. We would be a force to be reckoned with not just in the PAC 12 but in the country.

26. canuck_buff

canuck_buff Active Member

Short and simple I love Alec Burks and will be a fan of him forever.

27. Quattro

Quattro Banned BANNED Club Member

Probably one of the few good things that missing the tournament did. I think he comes back with the uncertainty of the NBA next season and being able to win the Pac 12 and make a solid run in the tournament.

28. DBT

DBT Club Member Club Member

You mean "friend's friend's friend." :smile2:

At any rate I wouldn't hang my hat on what he said during an emotional moment. He'll have a lot of info to process.