What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Burney "Killing It" at CU Pro Timing Day

It's a little troubling that Burney changes his eating, sleeping, and workout strategies and comes back 2 months later putting up numbers like this.

It could be they're training specifically for these pro-day tests rather than actual "football performance", but it sure makes me question what the hell we're doing in our S&C program.

It's a little troubling that Burney changes his eating, sleeping, and workout strategies and comes back 2 months later putting up numbers like this.

It could be they're training specifically for these pro-day tests rather than actual "football performance", but it sure makes me question what the hell we're doing in our S&C program.

You have to remember that this is 1-on-1 versus 1 S&C guy for 100 people. Yeah, it's frustrating, but during the semester these guys are going to class, studying, partying and not taking care of themselves as best as they could. There is still room for improvement, but a lot of the gains that you see inside of the gym are always because of stuff you are doing outside of it (eating, sleeping, stress all have a big impact on your health).

You have to remember that this is 1-on-1 versus 1 S&C guy for 100 people. Yeah, it's frustrating, but during the semester these guys are going to class, studying, partying and not taking care of themselves as best as they could. There is still room for improvement, but a lot of the gains that you see inside of the gym are always because of stuff you are doing outside of it (eating, sleeping, stress all have a big impact on your health).

Is it 1 on 1? I picture Burney working out with a whole group of pro hopefulls, but I could be wrong.

I get that they're basically spending 2 months practicing for a handful of drills versus learning a playbook, and geting in "combine shape" versus "football shape", but just think if every player (save the QBs) put the playbook down for 1 month during summer and focused entirely on getting their bodies to peak performance. Probably a lot to ask of a college kid on summer break, but Burney's performance tells me there's a lot more we can get oiut of these kids physically.

Is it 1 on 1? I picture Burney working out with a whole group of pro hopefulls, but I could be wrong.

I get that they're basically spending 2 months practicing for a handful of drills versus learning a playbook, and geting in "combine shape" versus "football shape", but just think if every player (save the QBs) put the playbook down for 1 month during summer and focused entirely on getting their bodies to peak performance. Probably a lot to ask of a college kid on summer break, but Burney's performance tells me there's a lot more we can get oiut of these kids physically.

That's what they should be doing, but again it's hard to develop a strong program for a group of individuals. Some people need to work on strength, some on conditioning, some on explosiveness and most on a mixture. In the CUBuffs article Burney basically said it was 1-on-1 as well. The S&C coach is the only one that is able to meet with everyone during the summer (and since we haven't been to a bowl in a while in December as well) and if he's periodizing his program right--again, very hard for 100 people--then peak performance should always be seen during the season.

He's only able to see them so often though. There's a lot to health including lifting, eating and sleeping and flexibility and mobility exercises to help prevent injury. It's not a one man job and the athletes are just as responsible for it as our S&C coach is. They are often 18-22 year olds though and don't have the mental strength to prepare for it as much as they could.

What I really dislike is hearing about all of the cardio that the team does. That takes a lot away from explosiveness and strength and does not aid in football games. Given that most plays are at most 20s long cardio shouldn't be apart of the program. There are various other ways we can get our guys well conditioned to handle 20s on, minute off, repeat. That and the terrible lifting techniques that are being taught to our guys.

Back