What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Butch Jones: 2012 Colorado Coaching search profile

Yes, that's what I'm doing. Or not. He needs to recruit. I'm just saying the institution does limit what you can recruit. It appears he is better than his predecessors at Cinci in recruiting.

Only because he found a stash of unicorns.

Continue to downplay recruiting concerns. CU can be the outlier! Yes!

CU recruiting will be at where it is until the school makes the investment to facilities for football. Tad is making a killing in recruiting as a result of the school's investment into basketball.

Jones, Dykes, and McIntyre are coaches who can coach lesser talent.

Yes, that's what I'm doing. Or not. He needs to recruit. I'm just saying the institution does limit what you can recruit. It appears he is better than his predecessors at Cinci in recruiting.

Not you specifically, but it feels like Groundhog's Day around here. Talk of coaching up 2* and 3* players, recruits will come with wins, etc.

Not you specifically, but it feels like Groundhog's Day around here. Talk of coaching up 2* and 3* players, recruits will come with wins, etc.

I'm with you man. You throw $2.5MM at a coach, I expect much better recruiting and a more defined history.

Maybe they just figure that they're grabbing someone from BK's coaching tree.

I'm with you man. You throw $2.5MM at a coach, I expect much better recruiting and a more defined history.

Maybe they just figure that they're grabbing someone from BK's coaching tree.

I expect them to hire a damn good recruiter as well. But context is important in making that distinction

He needs to coach AND recruit. If he can stop the bleeding on the football field, the recruiting will be fine. I want a guy who can flat out coach more than a recruiter (Embree, EB sound familiar?).

:yeahthat:

I know we had the exact same discussions about Dan Hawkins. "If he can win with the 2*s he gets at Boise, imagine what he'll do with the 4* kids that are going to come to Colorado to play for him!!!!" BJ has at least upgraded Cincy's recruiting to include a lot of 3*s, so I guess that's something.....

I know we had the exact same discussions about Dan Hawkins. "If he can win with the 2*s he gets at Boise, imagine what he'll do with the 4* kids that are going to come to Colorado to play for him!!!!" BJ has at least upgraded Cincy's recruiting to include a lot of 3*s, so I guess that's something.....

I knew this argument sounded familiar!

He needs to coach AND recruit. If he can stop the bleeding on the football field, the recruiting will be fine. I want a guy who can flat out coach more than a recruiter (Embree, EB sound familiar?).

Hawkins and Embree couldn't flat out coach and the results are there to show for it. Barnett clearly could coach...just look at what he did at Northwestern to begin with.

Dykes, Jones, McIntyre, and DeRuyter are coaches that can coach.

Hawkins and Embree couldn't flat out coach and the results are there to show for it. Barnett clearly could coach...just look at what he did at Northwestern to begin with.

Dykes, Jones, McIntyre, and DeRuyter are coaches that can coach.

To be clear, when Hawk was hired the expectation absolutely WAS that he could flat out coach, and he was a popular choice for a lot of the same reasons you seem to like Jones (winner despite taking over a program rebuilt by the prior coach, ability to win with lesser talent, etc).

And how about instead of being resigned to the fact that CU will always have mediocre talent and bringing in someone who has won with a bunch of 2 and 3 star players, why not bring in someone who can actually elevate our talent level through recruiting?

You can win a few games with a coach that can outcoach our talent, but bringing in better talent sure will give us a greater margin for error. Crazy, but it just might work.

To be clear, when Hawk was hired the expectation absolutely WAS that he could flat out coach, and he was a popular choice for a lot of the same reasons you seem to like Jones (winner despite taking over a program rebuilt by the prior coach, ability to win with lesser talent, etc).

And how about instead of being resigned to the fact that CU will always have mediocre talent and bringing in someone who has won with a bunch of 2 and 3 star players, why not bring in someone who can actually elevate our talent level through recruiting?

You can win a few games with a coach that can outcoach our talent, but bringing in better talent sure will give us a greater margin for error. Crazy, but it just might work.

Yes I'm tired of the lower margin for error and that is why we would have to consider coaches like Jones who can coach. Barnett led the Buffs to four Big 12 North titles along with one Big 12 title in 2001.

Yes I'm tired of the lower margin for error and that is why we would have to consider coaches like Jones who can coach. Barnett led the Buffs to four Big 12 North titles along with one Big 12 title in 2001.

A lot of Barnett's success came during a time when the Big 12 North was garbage - we eeked into the championship game on a couple occasions ahead of Iowa State.

I believe Barnett was a good coach, but what ultimately cost him his job was awful recruiting that led to the 70-3 beat down and left hardly any talent for the next coach. That is why we need someone who can recruit aggressively and raise the talent level across the board. It creates a greater margin for error and puts the program in better standing for the next coaching change.

Last edited:
As I've mentioned frequently on this site, I have stalked for years. I was around.

I knew that you had said you had stalked for years. I just didn't know you had stalked US for years. I assumed your targets were more, um, personal....

A lot of Barnett's success came during a time when the Big 12 North was garbage - we eeked into the championship game on a couple occasions ahead of Iowa State.

I believe Barnett was a good coach, but what ultimately cost him his job was awful recruiting that led to the 70-3 beat down and left hardly any talent for the next coach. That is why we need someone who can recruit aggressively and raise the talent level across the board. It creates a greater margin for error and puts the program in better standing for the next coaching change.

At least Barnett ended the Big Red dynasty plus Barnett beat those crappy North teams. Good coaches BEAT crappy teams not LOSE to crappy teams.

Cincinnati vs South Florida on espn3.com. Not too excited. We don't have the players to run the spread offense.

Last edited:
Am I wrong in assuming that pretty much everybody here would LOVE to have that kind of W/L record? If he is the guy, I can live with it. It's not a big splash hire, but it would be a big improvement.

Am I wrong in assuming that pretty much everybody here would LOVE to have that kind of W/L record? If he is the guy, I can live with it. It's not a big splash hire, but it would be a big improvement.

You as HC with little miss sacky as OC would be a huge improvement in my book.

I believe Barnett was a good coach, but what ultimately cost him his job was awful recruiting that led to the 70-3 beat down and left hardly any talent for the next coach. That is why we need someone who can recruit aggressively and raise the talent level across the board.

What we need is for the University administration to show they're serious about being competitive in football and change the JUCO admission policy. Our inability to get JUCO transfers makes the rebuild a lot harder, especially along the lines. You can't recruit 320 pound 18 year olds, unless they're just fatties. It takes 3-4 years in a major college weight/nutrition program to build a BCS-caliber lineman. And we need about a dozen of them.

What we need is for the University administration to show they're serious about being competitive in football and change the JUCO admission policy. Our inability to get JUCO transfers makes the rebuild a lot harder, especially along the lines. You can't recruit 320 pound 18 year olds, unless they're just fatties. It takes 3-4 years in a major college weight/nutrition program to build a BCS-caliber lineman. And we need about a dozen of them.
This.

Well latest rumour is BJ rejected Purdue. Not sure what that means for CU as we don't know how highly rated he is on Bohn's board and not sure if we have confirmation he is still coming for the interview.

He's got his pre-game hype speeches down pretty well.
[video=youtube;xDLD93IzXog]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDLD93IzXog[/video]

Well latest rumour is BJ rejected Purdue. Not sure what that means for CU as we don't know how highly rated he is on Bohn's board and not sure if we have confirmation he is still coming for the interview.

I don't think the tweet by that reporter is accurate - i suspect he misread the Denver Post article

Just to confirm, the rumor that Jones canceled his Purdue visit is NOT accurate

Back