What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Butch Jones-Decision Day #3 Thread

You make some valid and articulate points including your criticism of Bohn. And I have been a huge defender of Bohn because I think he has primarily done great things for CU athletics (e.g. CU-CSU last night).

It will be nice to know more of what went on behind the scenes if we ever do find out, but I believe based on all the comments made by people who know him, that BJ is not intentionally ****ing us over to secure a better deal at UC or elsewhere. It is certainly possible but I don't think that is happening.

As others have said, in the end, if he comes here and starts winning recruiting battles, and then battles on the field all will be forgotten and Bohn will be a hero for bringing in a star HC to turn the ship around. If he doesn't come here or things turn sour once he does, that will be another story and Bohn will be looking for a new job, maybe, UC will be hiring by then:)
I agree there are some good reports about Butch and his character. All I know is what I am watching now though. Need to work out the details of the contract? Not buying, DH signed his contract 6 months after his hiring announcement. Need to talk to players? Not buying, he has had 48 hours after getting back from CU. If he has time to visit the Carolina Panthers, he has time to tie up loose ends. Sorry, but he is surveying the landscape. Like I said, I don't blame him, but Bohn should have him on a tighter schedule.

Hopefully, Bohn and Butch have an agreement that covers what we are seeing and the deal gets done. As others pointed out, if he getshere and wns, nobody, including me, will care. If he shuns CU, well, just another misstep by Bohn....

Cpaw - there has been a fair amount of conversation on the airwaves here in Oklahoma (Big 12 country) that Cincinnati might be one of the teams that gets added to the Big 12 to bring the conference back up to 12 teams. Have you heard any chatter in that regard?

We have. The initial thought months ago was that Louisville and UC would package together to give WVU regional rivalries. UC and Louisville have been in the same conference for a very long time and would like to stay together. Now the thought is we will get an ACC invite when the next departure happens there. I would prefer the Big 12 over ACC, would seem much more stable for the long term, and we could still provide that regional rivalry that we have with WVU in the new conference.

So here is Butch's decision:

"Given the extraordinary circumstances of my coaching career, and my love of both Cincinnati and Colorado, I have decided that effective immediately, I will be the head coach for the University of Colorado...and Cincinnati going forward!!"

We have. The initial thought months ago was that Louisville and UC would package together to give WVU regional rivalries. UC and Louisville have been in the same conference for a very long time and would like to stay together. Now the thought is we will get an ACC invite when the next departure happens there. I would prefer the Big 12 over ACC, would seem much more stable for the long term, and we could still provide that regional rivalry that we have with WVU in the new conference.
You are aware that the stability of any conference with Texas in it is pretty suspect? Trust us on this one.

Cpaw, you have been great the last couple of days and I for one appreciate your comments and participation. Thanks and I hope you come back and stick around after this saga is finally over.

With that said, I think Butch is a decent guy who is trying to work through this the right way from his own sense of loyalty to both the school and his players. That is one of the things that is going to be a huge positive for CU during his employment as the HC. That sense of loyalty is going to play well with Parents and it will be nice to have when he is approached after winning on the field at CU.

+1

I understand that given your position in the conference order that the Big 12 would be a major step up, and it is. But fair warning, Texas is the biggest kid on the block, they make sure that you know it and they absolutely don't fight fair.

Klatt excoriated Bohn this morning. Said he has totally mismanaged this entire thing. I don't think you want to invite Bohn and Klatt to your Christmas party. JK argues that the money offer has been way too public, allowing BJ to use it for other offers. I get that criticism. But if, as expected, BJ comes here, I don't know how you can rip Bohn.

Another ting is that JK was in NY at the HOF thing. He got great reports about BJ but "everyone thinks CU is a joke." Screw you Joel.

c paw, we would be glad to have you as a "quasi" cu fan! ... the last 6-8 years out here have been brutal... have not missed a home game during that stretch myself but man its been like being marched up a hill to meet a firing squad... big win for cu hoops last nite though...good luck to your bearcats with butch or without him

You make some valid and articulate points including your criticism of Bohn. And I have been a huge defender of Bohn because I think he has primarily done great things for CU athletics (e.g. CU-CSU last night).

It will be nice to know more of what went on behind the scenes if we ever do find out, but I believe based on all the comments made by people who know him, that BJ is not intentionally ****ing us over to secure a better deal at UC or elsewhere. It is certainly possible but I don't think that is happening.

As others have said, in the end, if he comes here and starts winning recruiting battles, and then battles on the field all will be forgotten and Bohn will be a hero for bringing in a star HC to turn the ship around. If he doesn't come here or things turn sour once he does, that will be another story and Bohn will be looking for a new job, maybe, UC will be hiring by then:)

Well said and agree. This does not appear to me to be a game to BJ and I think Bohn has done a pretty damn good job. To say this falls on him is misplaced at this point in my opinion.

I understand that given your position in the conference order that the Big 12 would be a major step up, and it is. But fair warning, Texas is the biggest kid on the block, they make sure that you know it and they absolutely don't fight fair.

Yah, that would be worrisome. I would be happy with either, this Titanic called the Big East is going down and I would be happy either place. For the long term and best success, ACC would probably be best. Not great football like the other major 4 conferences, but still a seat at the table. And the basketball, which has been our rich history, would be second to none.

The Cincinnati / Louisville pair was the rumor here, as well. It was a surprise when Louisville jumped at the ACC offer. I think there are some powers in the Big 12 who are really dragging their feet on expansion (Texas and Oklahoma, particularly) because they a) don't want to split up their money any further, and b) they don't want to have a conference championship game. I think Louisville got tired of waiting and decided they had to make a move.

I see a little too much of this Tennessee fan in myself (and in many others here on Allbuffs!).

Worth a look (trust me).

[video=youtube;WovrPXMm3LQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WovrPXMm3LQ[/video]

c paw, we would be glad to have you as a "quasi" cu fan! ... the last 6-8 years out here have been brutal... have not missed a home game during that stretch myself but man its been like being marched up a hill to meet a firing squad... big win for cu hoops last nite though...good luck to your bearcats with butch or without him

absolutely, I will continue to root for Jones. He is a class act and I am sure will turn your program back to the good ol' days.

Klatt excoriated Bohn this morning. Said he has totally mismanaged this entire thing. I don't think you want to invite Bohn and Klatt to your Christmas party. JK argues that the money offer has been way too public, allowing BJ to use it for other offers. I get that criticism. But if, as expected, BJ comes here, I don't know how you can rip Bohn.

Another ting is that JK was in NY at the HOF thing. He got great reports about BJ but "everyone thinks CU is a joke." Screw you Joel.

Klatt is usually a bit sanctimonious at times, but since Embree has been fired he's been totally off the reservation.

Klatt is usually a bit sanctimonious at times, but since Embree has been fired he's been totally off the reservation.
He has an agenda. Unfortunately, he thinks he is important enough to implement his agenda. After BJ is on board he needs to shut his pie hole and support the program. Continually calling the program a joke in order to push his anti Bohn agenda does nothing positive.

Ok, this is my take...not that anyone cares... If Jones does not commit first thing this AM, then go to the next candidate... CU is throwing everything at some un-proven coach. He i9s getting more than every coach out there at this point considering all the upgrades to Folsom and Dal Ward...If he is not jumping at this, then go get the guy that wants to be a BUFF !

He has an agenda. Unfortunately, he thinks he is important enough to implement his agenda. After BJ is on board he needs to shut his pie hole and support the program. Continually calling the program a joke in order to push his anti Bohn agenda does nothing positive.

He's still butt hurt about Bohn firing Barnett.

@MoEgger1530
Butch Jones stuck in front of closet in his Terrace Park home, deciding between blue shirt and white shirt.

This is latest news from our radio guy. Thought I would add a little humor to the morning.

@MoEgger1530
Butch Jones stuck in front of closet in his Terrace Park home, deciding between blue shirt and white shirt.

This is latest news from our radio guy. Thought I would add a little humor to the morning.
should have been "red and gold"

this is comical almost...major University throwing gobs of cash and ???? seriously we have become the Monty Python,Keysone Cops, Laurel & Hardy of college football...sux

this is comical almost...major University throwing gobs of cash and ???? seriously we have become the Monty Python,Keysone Cops, Laurel & Hardy of college football...sux

I think you guys are being harder on yourselves than the rest of the world is viewing this. Most people I have spoken with and hear talking say they believe he is going to CU, he is taking his time to decide, will tell players today and then depart. Maybe waiting to see if he has any interest from TN or Wisky, but probably not gonna happen. CBJ is your top target, put all the cards (money) on the line, and wait to see what happens. BTW, I think it was a nice "leak" of information concerning the dollars that CU was going to pay him and assistants, UC could never match and made it difficult to counter.

I am not sure I have another day in me but I will give it the ol'College try.

Seriously when this is over I am going to ban myself from chat.

If he takes the job today, I don't care about how it happened. I am ready for the coaching search to be done.

Yep, even CJ who is a bit more levelheaded was poopooing the "hire" yesterday saying that without a commiited University, it will be more of the same. I guess the administration stepping up with major cash for the coach and major major cash (thanks Solich) for facilities shows more of the same.

These guys are all just butthurt that their boy sucked balls and got canned.

I, for one, would really appreciate the opportunity to actually get some work done today.

I don't think there's anything to worry about. CU Football is the greatest program in the world, Butch is the greatest coach in the history of sports - it's obviously a perfect fit!

Just because Cincy stands to lose kajillions for decades to come if they don't pony up a few more mil now, well, we should relax and keep claiming that Cincy can't possibly raise their offer. They can run off to the ACC and be content with Basketball's few dollars, or try to go Big Time and get tens of millions with a more successful football program. We know they'll take the lazy way out - it's not like they were going to keep getting national headlines in Football anyway.

Back