What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Butch Jones

It amuses me to end that you ****s think you know what your talking about when serious professionals with legions of staff with years in the industry can't get it right. But, whatevs... :tini:
So you should comment only on what you are expert in, though many of us aren't interested in knowing how to tell when the fries are done :lol:

So you should comment only on what you are expert in, though many of us aren't interested in knowing how to tell when the fries are done :lol:

You should be. They might move you up from the restroom cleaning crew one of these days....

I try to rep anybody that makes me literally laugh out loud. Unfortunately, I ran out of rep about a 1/4 of the way through catching up on the posts here in the past 10 hours. Thanks to all of you for both the insight and laughs!

Jones would be a really solid hire. Not sure he can be "great" but damn he sure is competent.

I don't want Butch Jones hired as the next coach. They should make a play for the following coaches.

1 kirby Smart - DC Alabama
2. Justin Wilcox DC Washington
3. Derek Mason DC Stanford

Those are my top 3, young smart coaches.

I don't want Butch Jones hired as the next coach. They should make a play for the following coaches.

1 kirby Smart - DC Alabama
2. Justin Wilcox DC Washington
3. Derek Mason DC Stanford

Those are my top 3, young smart coaches.
I see what you did there.

For what it's worth. One of my best friends went to the University of Illinois for engineering school and then to Cincinnati for Law School. He also lives now in Pac 12 territory (oregon). He is as big a college football fan as we are.

I thought it would be interesting to get his opinion of Butch Jones for CU. I am still on the fence so I was looking for additional insight. Here was his response:

I'm guessing that you would be very lucky to get him. I wish that Illinois's AD who came from and hired Butch at Cincinnati had hired him at Illinois instead of the joker we got.

Read this article to the end - pretty sad commentary on both of our "football programs":

http://www.illinihq.com/sports/illini-sports/football/2012-11-30/tate-whats-fuss-gus.html

For what it's worth. One of my best friends went to the University of Illinois for engineering school and then to Cincinnati for Law School. He also lives now in Pac 12 territory (oregon). He is as big a college football fan as we are.

I thought it would be interesting to get his opinion of Butch Jones for CU. I am still on the fence so I was looking for additional insight. Here was his response:

thanks for post!..its good to know we are not alone on the **** pile

New article on Jones in DP today. I love this summary of his strength from Wolf (Bronco's rookie who played under Jones at Cinci)

"Coach Jones is really good at making a decent guy great, and he's good at making good guys excellent," Wolfe said Friday. "That's the kind of coach he is. That's his staff's philosophy, to get everything they possibly can out of every guy."

http://www.denverpost.com/cu/ci_22102654/butch-jones-interview-cu-buffs-coach-job#ixzz2DnrrYTjw

I love the quote b/c we need someone who get the best out of the kids we have and the kids he can recruit. That has clearly not happened in the Hawk and EMbree administration. W/ the number of CU kids going to the NFL it's sickening how bad our teams have been. And I bet many more kids would have a shot at the NFL if they were being coached up well.

I am warming to Butch BUT Purdue is going to be tough to beat on this one.

As for your next open letter, please address to Mr. Al Golden. Start writing, lay it on thick.

This man can coach. I had to watch my law school football over my undergrad football for a few years because of Al Golden.

Anyone that can build Temple can build anywhere....

The more I read about Butch Jones, the more I like. I'd be happy with Butch also.

It would not surprise me for Butch Jones to select Purdue. He is certainly more familiar with their territory, whereas he really has absolutely no ties to the west. Going to Colorado would be completely uncharted territory for him, whereas Indiana is right next door.

It would not surprise me for Butch Jones to select Purdue. He is certainly more familiar with their territory, whereas he really has absolutely no ties to the west. Going to Colorado would be completely uncharted territory for him, whereas Indiana is right next door.
Hard to argue that he'd be more likely to go to Purdue. The unknowns here are where does he rank in Purdue's search? What if he doesn't get an offer? Also from what i understand Purdue is not in as much of a rebuilding mode. Does he want the challenge to rebuild a team or does he want to just improve what they have (Purde was a .500 team this year).

That makes sense...... But there are people that like to experience something new by moving to a different region. I don't know if he is like that.

Like my high school in Philadelphia, out of 75 grads, only 5 of us went past a 6 hour drive to college. The 5 of us that went so far away were looking for something different in life.

I will reiterate that for me there are other candidates more sexy and more attractive from an outsider's point of view. But he is a good coach and that a decent Big 10 team likes him is more evidence that he has potential in the big leagues.

But most importantly, if Butch his Bohn's first pick (we don't really know), than I hope we get him b/c it's Bohn's job to figure out who can turn this ship around and he knows his job may be riding on this one.

Hard to argue that he'd be more likely to go to Purdue. The unknowns here are where does he rank in Purdue's search? What if he doesn't get an offer? Also from what i understand Purdue is not in as much of a rebuilding mode. Does he want the challenge to rebuild a team or does he want to just improve what they have (Purde was a .500 team this year).

also depends on how much $'s and other promises are offered by cu and purdue... if bohn wants him he better hit davis with a howitzer blast!

also depends on how much $'s and other promises are offered by cu and purdue... if bohn wants him he better hit davis with a howitzer blast!

You are correct that if both Purdue and Colorado make him an offer, the diversity of offers will be critical. Not sure we want to get in a bidding war for him, but if Bohn wants to, go for it.

Forgot to mention--as has been said before here, a good coach may demand certain commitments to facilities upgrades in the contract. This could be an opportunity for Bohn to sweeten the pot for the right coach by attracting them with promised upgrades that will occur in the next few years. I would think for many coaches that would be appealing.

And Bohn has a precedent here w/ BB to show he will pull it off.

Last edited:
That makes sense...... But there are people that like to experience something new by moving to a different region. I don't know if he is like that.

Like my high school in Philadelphia, out of 75 grads, only 5 of us went past a 6 hour drive to college. The 5 of us that went so far away were looking for something different in life.

I agree. And then you went back. ;)

I think the longer that he has to think about it, the more it will skew in Colorado's favor. Purdue is a "nice" school to work at, but you will simply never win big there. Colorado is one of the most recognized brands in college sports, and you can win big there. Plus, from what I hear quality of life difference between the two places is simply not even fair.

Hey Rook, you shouldn't be speaking for The Walrus, or Fervorfactor, for that matter.

I know, right? Acts like he thinks he IS The Walrus reincarnated, only shorter and uglier......if that is even possible. Scratch that..probably not possible. :D

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
It was a moment of weakness.... A job offer in Phila. And I tried to get back, then met my wife!

I completely understand. I almost went back to Chicago for law school, but couldn't leave Colorado at that point, and I'm still here.

Back