1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buzz surrounds new CU forward

Discussion in 'Colorado Basketball Message Board' started by RSSBot, Jul 22, 2012.

1. RSSBot

RSSBot News Junkie

By Ryan Thorburn Buffzone.com

No program in the country comes close to matching UCLA's 11 national championships. Kentucky is second on the all-time list, winning its eighth title last season.

Originally posted by Daily Camera
    Click here to view the article.

2. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

Is it basketball season yet?

Can't wait to see XJ in the black & gold.

3. Goose

Goose Hoops Moderator Club Member Junta Member

This series Thorburn has been doing this summer has been GREAT. I'm seriously amped for the season.

I would run through a brick wall if Tad asked me to right now.

4. btbuff

btbuff It's an inside joke Club Member

[​IMG]

#isitnovemberyet?!?!

5. RumblinBuff

RumblinBuff That one blogging guy Club Member

Already have, would do it again.

6. Shldr2Shldr

Shldr2Shldr Club Member Club Member

This may be the first season in my whole life I am actually looking past the football season. This year and definitely next year could be very special in Boulder.

7. SCB

SCB Well-Known Member

My thoughts exactly.

8. buffgal

buffgal Club Member Club Member

I look forward to basketball season from the day the Final Four is over.

9. buffaholic

buffaholic Club Member Club Member

I think this year could be special for both football and basketball, if you have realistic expectations for very young squads.

Realistically, Tads team is probably middle of the PAC12 and finishing in the top half will be considered decent. Likewise, nobody should be expecting Embo to fill so many holes with true freshmen (including several that had few BCS options) and win games against PAC12 teams. New coaches or not.

Both squads will feature a lot of true freshmen minutes.

2014 - things start to get really interesting in Boulder imo.

10. J-R-K

J-R-K Well-Known Member

Tad is seriously letting his freshman do interviews? Does he want to win a game this season? A wise coach once told me that allowing media access to freshman is a major distraction to the players and will drastically and adversely affect their performance on the field. I can practically feel Ryan Thorburn sucking the talent out of XJ as the interview goes on. Tad also must make sure that practices are completely closed off to everyone. People in the stands watching would be a huge huge distraction to the players. But how does this prepare them to play in front of tens of thousands of people and on national TV? That’s far too logical of a question, shut up. Practices must be closed. Furthermore in order to motivate the team I purpose that after each win we take a laminated sheet of paper with the game score on it and glue it onto the wall. The quality of the opponent does not matter; the team needs that positive reinforcement.

sockdolager, torerobuff and Goose like this.
  11. btbuff

Time for the freshmen to grow up. If they can't do an interview with a local newspaper without it being a distraction maybe they aren't ready for college.

12. tante

tante Club Member Club Member

hmm do we listen to a random internet poster or a guy who just tied his own school record for most wins in a single season, won a conference tournament and won an NCAA tournament game. Yup you are right Tad is in way over his head.

13. J-R-K

J-R-K Well-Known Member

You seem to have missed my OBVIOUS sarcasm. The illogical measures described in my post are ones that Embree has implemented.

14. Goose

Goose Hoops Moderator Club Member Junta Member

I laughed. That gets rep.

Guys, he's making light of the fact that the football team isn't letting the frosh do any interviews. He's praising Tad.

EDIT - and JRK beat me by seconds.

15. BehindEnemyLines

BehindEnemyLines beware the habu Club Member

I kinda think that Tad prolly agreed to let the interviews happen, but on his terms.

I bet he and/or the staff told the media they could have player A at XX:XX time on a specific day, player B at XX:XX time on a specific day, etc., at a specific location, and for a specified amount of time. This way, the media gets a story and the player is limited to a very small window of distraction.

Consider this -- the interviews happened pretty far in advance of actual practices. I don't see any negatives in this, at all.

16. btbuff

I should have connected the statements. Re-read it an it was obvious.

17. tante

tante Club Member Club Member

I gotta admit I didn't even read your whole post, you got a pretty bad track record around here.

18. torerobuff

torerobuff Dancing is forbidden Club Member

I'll admit at first I thought JRK was acting crazy again, but once I got into it I caught on. Rep worthy.

19. Creebuzz

Creebuzz Club Member Club Member

Meh, not rep worthy. Borderline fail. The mechanics of running a basketball team versus a football team are vastly different. For example, do you think the scrutiny over choosing a QB is the same as choosing, say, a starting point guard? This is such an apples to oranges comparison. I see nothing "illogical" in how Embree is choosing to handle fall camp. Nor do I see anything wrong in how Tad is handling his program either.