What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

BYU / Sports Radio / CU

pcbuff

Here in Utah a past NFL player from BYU came on the radio yesterday and ripped their current coach about how he doesn't understand the Lavell(McCarthy) way and doesn't utilize the football alumni properly. It brought me back to the bashing on Hawkins that led to the hiring of Embree. They had a kid that was at least locally seen as having Heisman potential in Taysom Hill go down and then they are angry at how the rest of their season went.

I laughed at how vocal ex athletes can sway the politics and perception of a fan base. Be careful what you ask for BYU fans. The grass is not always greener!!

It's pretty common in any successful organization that the folks who had a ton of success on their watch question will then complain when the new guard does things differently, especially when there are any struggles. I see both sides of this one. On the one hand, you don't fix what ain't broke. On the other hand, a CEO can't be successful if he's not allowed to be him/herself and is pressured to maintain someone else's organization.

Truly, it all comes down to success. No reasonable person from the glory days (CU or BYU) is going to voice a complaint if the new regime is winning as long as there is mutual respect where the old guard feels welcome and valued.

I think the former player is right. For multiple reasons, Bronco being one of them, BYU is hard pressed to move out from among the middle tier programs in the near future. BYU is currently Utah's third best team. BYU is a completely unique institution. I personally don't like Bronco Mendenhall as a coach, having heard him at Jr. Days recruiting and watching him on and off the field for years. He is a successful mid-America college coach with a massive budget and a weak schedule who yearly talks about winning national championships and how BYU players live by a higher standard. Some players do, many do not. As long as the athlete avoids the public eye (unlike the basketball player who was punished only after his girlfriend was too pregnant to play for the women's team), and performs, the athlete is fairly safe from the Honor Code enforcement office. Despite the former player and many disappointed fans, Bronco is going no where because he regularly beats weak teams and high quality LDS coaches are rare. The inability to excel is good for CU, seeing that we compete in the west for many of the same recruits.

Last edited:
I hear the same thing on sports radio from former 'Canes almost every day. Golden will have to pull out a big season next year to survive.

I think the former player is right. For multiple reasons, Bronco being one of them, BYU is hard pressed to move out from among the middle tier programs in the near future. BYU is currently Utah's third best team. BYU is a completely unique institution. I personally don't like Bronco Mendenhall as a coach, having heard him at Jr. Days recruiting and watching him on and off the field for years. He is a successful mid-America college coach with a massive budget and a weak schedule who yearly talks about winning national championships and how BYU players live by a higher standard. Some players do, many do not. As long as the athlete avoids the public eye (unlike the basketball player who was punished only after his girlfriend was too pregnant to play for the women's team), and performs, the athlete is fairly safe from the Honor Code enforcement office. Despite the former player and many disappointed fans, Bronco is going no where because he regularly beats weak teams and high quality LDS coaches are rare. The inability to excel is good for CU, seeing that we compete in the west for many of the same recruits.

Kyle Whittingham is LDS right? Already chatter about him eventually winding up there.

Back