What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

BYU To Bolt From The MWC Before Sept 1st ??

I think both NMSU and UTEP are also in the WAC.

MWC is in a world of hurt right now. Especially if Boise jumps.

This could turn out pretty bad for CU, though. While remote, I could see the following possibility coming to happen:

TCU gets an invite from the Mack 10. The Mack 10 needs one more team to even out the conference and get their championship game back. They invite CSU. CSU takes it in a second.

Now, like I said, I really think this is a remote possibility, but stranger things have happened. I think the Mack 10 would like to get a small piece of the Colorado market again.

Think they'd pass over AFA for CSU? IMO, AFA is more attractive.

As far as the WAC schools are concerned, it would seem to me the WAC schools would be relishing the MWC schools twisting in the wind after the way the WAC was fractured when the MWC schools bailed. Thompson probably has a tough row to hoe selling the MWC to schools that got left out of the MWC in the first place. Plus, with UU and BYU bailing, I'm not sure the MWC is actually a stronger conference than the WAC.

Ramnation is all jacked up cause i guess they're hearing reports the Fresno and Nev accepted. Trade UU, BYU for BSU, Nev, and Fresno. Doesn't really help the perception of the conference imo

As far as the WAC schools are concerned, it would seem to me the WAC schools would be relishing the MWC schools twisting in the wind after the way the WAC was fractured when the MWC schools bailed. Thompson probably has a tough row to hoe selling the MWC to schools that got left out of the MWC in the first place. Plus, with UU and BYU bailing, I'm not sure the MWC is actually a stronger conference than the WAC.

It looks like there is a battle going on that will kill one of the two conferences. If Fresno State and Nevada leave to join Boise State. The WAC is done. Period. My guess is that even if it is the MWC that is killed. CSU will get an invite to the WAC because of its presence in Colorado.

It looks like there is a battle going on that will kill one of the two conferences. If Fresno State and Nevada leave to join Boise State. The WAC is done. Period. My guess is that even if it is the MWC that is killed. CSU will get an invite to the WAC because of its presence in Colorado.

Right now I'd put my $$$ on the WAC. But I agree, if the MWC folds, CSU and Wyo would get invited to the WAC. Both schools were traditional members of that conference.

Somewhere, Larry Scott is opening up a 12-year old bottle of scotch, pouring it into a big glass, and smiling from ear to ear. The only possible competition for BCS status in the Western part of the country is imploding right before our eyes. This makes the Pac brand more valuable.

Somewhere, Larry Scott is opening up a 12-year old bottle of scotch, pouring it into a big glass, and smiling from ear to ear. The only possible competition for BCS status in the Western part of the country is imploding right before our eyes. This makes the Pac brand more valuable.

Excellent point....Scott played this well, as did Bohn. CU comes out in a great position, the MWc is on the verge of disintegration.....

Right now I'd put my $$$ on the WAC. But I agree, if the MWC folds, CSU and Wyo would get invited to the WAC. Both schools were traditional members of that conference.

This is turning into a straight up war between the MWC and WAC. Grab your popcorn everybody!!!!!

Excellent point....Scott played this well, as did Bohn. CU comes out in a great position, the MWc is on the verge of disintegration.....

This is why you need to be proactive, not reactive. Scott and Bohn did a great job, I agree there. That's one of the best things Bohn has done at CU, if not the best.

I'm wondering if this is the hail mary to get BYU to stay. Did we just watch BYU become the Texas of the Mountain West?

The chances of Fresno and/or Nevada taking the MWC invite aren't good considering the $5 million exit fee they'd have to pay. But if this did happen by some chance the WAC falls apart, BYU may look to the WCC for their non-football sports.

As for the possibility of the Big 12 inviting CSWho, no way that happens. No ****ing way.

I think both NMSU and UTEP are also in the WAC.

MWC is in a world of hurt right now. Especially if Boise jumps.

This could turn out pretty bad for CU, though. While remote, I could see the following possibility coming to happen:

TCU gets an invite from the Mack 10. The Mack 10 needs one more team to even out the conference and get their championship game back. They invite CSU. CSU takes it in a second.

Now, like I said, I really think this is a remote possibility, but stranger things have happened. I think the Mack 10 would like to get a small piece of the Colorado market again.

NMSU is in the WAC, UTEP is in Conference USA.

Latest scoop is that Fresno State and Nevada WILL in fact accept the MWC invites and Boise State will stay committed to MWC

WAC (6 1/2 teams)
Hawaii
San Jose State
Utah State
Idaho
New Mexico State
Louisiana Tech
affiliate: BYU

MWC (10 teams)
San Diego State
Fresno State
UNLV
Nevada
Boise State
Wyoming
CSU
Air Force
New Mexico
TCU

Will the MWC now go after UTEP and Houston to get to 12 team conference and a CCG?

Will Louisiana Tech and New Mexico State jump to Conference USA to fill those holes?

That leaves Hawaii, Idaho, San Jose State, and Utah State out on a line.

Idaho, San Jose State, and Utah State belong back in the Big Sky conference anyway, so no big loss there.

Really sucks for Hawaii, but maybe they could sweet talk their way into the MWC-12 ahead of UTEP or Houston?

A CCG would help offset the travel costs for having them in the league, + a BCS berth recently (although outside the "window" for qualification).

Crazy times in the mid-major world!

Latest scoop is that Fresno State and Nevada WILL in fact accept the MWC invites and Boise State will stay committed to MWC

WAC (6 1/2 teams)
Hawaii
San Jose State
Utah State
Idaho
New Mexico State
Louisiana Tech
affiliate: BYU

MWC (10 teams)
San Diego State
Fresno State
UNLV
Nevada
Boise State
Wyoming
CSU
Air Force
New Mexico
TCU

Will the MWC now go after UTEP and Houston to get to 12 team conference and a CCG?

Will Louisiana Tech and New Mexico State jump to Conference USA to fill those holes?

That leaves Hawaii, Idaho, San Jose State, and Utah State out on a line.

Idaho, San Jose State, and Utah State belong back in the Big Sky conference anyway, so no big loss there.

Really sucks for Hawaii, but maybe they could sweet talk their way into the MWC-12 ahead of UTEP or Houston?

A CCG would help offset the travel costs for having them in the league, + a BCS berth recently (although outside the "window" for qualification).

Crazy times in the mid-major world!

This is the very best that CSU can hope for. The world of college football appears to be slowly but inexorably moving to a division of the haves and the have-nots, this being determined strictly by the ability to generate revenue regardless of success on the field.

CSU as much as their core group of passionate fans would like to believe otherwise is a have-not. They averaged about 24k for home games the past couple of years and under 30k during their glory days. This despite ticket prices roughly half of the norm for most BCS level schools. Their seat license revenues, in stadium revenues (advertising, concessions, souvenirs, etc.) are also proportionately below the norm even for top-level mid-majors. In bowl appearances they don't travel well and their bowl ratings have always been among the lowest consistently on beating Sun Belt and some MAC schools. CSU has close to, if not the lowest football budget and athletic budget in the MWC, the investment in the product is not there.

If this all results in the eventual melt down and reformation of mid-major football in the western US, CSU is very likely to be left out along with their traditional rival Wyoming. Air Force is in a very strong position, with strong attendance, good road attendance, and good TV appeal. New Mexico, despite their recent bad records would come out ahead of CSU and Wyoming due to their monopoly on a fast growing market in Alb.

The question then becomes, does CSU in the long term try to remain a fringe program on the major college stage without the revenue internally or from league affilitation to maintain that status or are they forced to step down into the FCS level (former 1aa.)

In any case the Rams fans should be very nervous about what is going on.

The question then becomes, does CSU in the long term try to remain a fringe program on the major college stage without the revenue internally or from league affilitation to maintain that status or are they forced to step down into the FCS level (former 1aa.)

Sounds familiar.

This is the very best that CSU can hope for. The world of college football appears to be slowly but inexorably moving to a division of the haves and the have-nots, this being determined strictly by the ability to generate revenue regardless of success on the field.

CSU as much as their core group of passionate fans would like to believe otherwise is a have-not. They averaged about 24k for home games the past couple of years and under 30k during their glory days. This despite ticket prices roughly half of the norm for most BCS level schools. Their seat license revenues, in stadium revenues (advertising, concessions, souvenirs, etc.) are also proportionately below the norm even for top-level mid-majors. In bowl appearances they don't travel well and their bowl ratings have always been among the lowest consistently on beating Sun Belt and some MAC schools. CSU has close to, if not the lowest football budget and athletic budget in the MWC, the investment in the product is not there.

If this all results in the eventual melt down and reformation of mid-major football in the western US, CSU is very likely to be left out along with their traditional rival Wyoming. Air Force is in a very strong position, with strong attendance, good road attendance, and good TV appeal. New Mexico, despite their recent bad records would come out ahead of CSU and Wyoming due to their monopoly on a fast growing market in Alb.

All great points. Agreed that AFA, TCU, and UNM now become the teams with the most options out of the MWC. UNM has done some heavy investment in their programs, facilities, and host a bowl game, so they have far more to offer than CSU could even hope to. Not to mention they consistently pack "The Pit" for hoops and have a nationally recognized program in that revenue sport.

Sounds familiar.

CU was never in any real danger of being left out of the mix. We were going to the PAC either with the Texas schools or with Utah but we were going. The worst case scenerio was that we would have remained in the Big Texas after kNU left and received a second level payout that is still well over double what CSU will get from the MWC.

CU averages close to 45k even when we suck. Those are at ticket prices double that of CSU and slightly higher than most BCS level programs other than the top 25 powers. CU also has a history of drawing decent TV numbers even when we suck and good numbers when we are winning. All of that equates to sufficient revenue potential to make us a desirable member of a major conference. Remember that even with our pathetic showing last year CU was still in the top 30 in the country in football revenue by one listing and in the top 40 by another I found. In more specific numbers from the US Dept of Education (which caluculate differently than the NCAA does) the most recent I could find was CU at 43rd at $52.6 million. Wyoming was 85th at $23.7 million and CSU was 88th at $22.2 million behind such stellar powers as Miami (OH), UCF, ECU and only slightly ahead (less than $3 million) of such football factories as Marshall, Florida International, Western Kentucky, and Buffalo.

I know that it is easy to dog on the program considering our pathetic efforts on the field the last few years and we certainly don't compare in terms of money to some of our competitors like Texas ($120million), Nebraska ($75 million), OU ($77 million) or Okie lite at $88.5 million. but we are still on of the haves in terms of revenue production even with our terrible basketball revenues. CSU despite their marketing efforts is a have not with less that half the revenue of CU.

source: http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sp...ke-in-in-200708-this-chart-will-tell-you.html

Last edited:
Interesting thread on the top about how the Cal-State system is pushing to get them all together. This would push San Diego State to join Fresno State and San Jose State in the WAC. Makes sense, actually.

The WAC should trade the MWC Louisiana Tech for SDSU.

I've got to think this was probably never true, or the Cal State system wouldn't have likely let FSU make a move to the MWC. They've got SDSU and FSU together there now, but there's pretty much no chance that SJSU is ever getting in.

I can see San Jose State dropping football eventually. Just not enough support for it and they are losing money.

Wow. I give Thompson tons of credit here. Losing UU and then BYU made me think the MWC was coming apart at the seams. Adding in BSU looked good until the reports came out BSU might renege. Then Thompson goes toe to toe with the WAC and leaves the WAC bleeding on the canvas, taking Fresno and UNR, and apparently keeping BSU. I still don't think that makes the MWC BCS AQ material, but Thompson has doen a fine jobe here, you have to hand it to the guy. The WAC may not make it.

Hold on a sec...

When CU got the invite to the Pac, it required some kind of vote from the other Pac institutions. It had to be approved. It was a process that took several weeks.

Does the MWC not have such a rule? Does the commissioner have the authority to extend invitations to any school at any time?

Update from Ground Zero.

Most BYU fans want out of the MWC even more now. They just added two schools without adding any sort of tv value, so the pieces of the pie are even smaller now.

Update from Ground Zero.

Most BYU fans want out of the MWC even more now. They just added two schools without adding any sort of tv value, so the pieces of the pie are even smaller now.

I would disagree that there isn't some TV value added. Fresno and Reno, while not giant metropolises, have only one game in town, and that's the bulldogs and the wolfpack. The MWC will add TV sets with this move.

I would disagree that there isn't some TV value added. Fresno and Reno, while not giant metropolises, have only one game in town, and that's the bulldogs and the wolfpack. The MWC will add TV sets with this move.

While I question the truth to that, you are still adding two mouths to feed. All the MWC schools lose financially because of this.

Update from Ground Zero.

If I'm commissioner of the West Coast Conference, I'm making a play now. Huge opportunity to take things to the next level.

Right now, the conference is at 8 programs. It's pretty much a city school conference on the Pacific coast.

Current
Gonzaga
Loyola-Marymount
Pepperdine
Portland
St. Mary's
San Diego
San Francisco
Santa Clara

Why not add programs while maintaining the character of the conference and significantly adding to the media footprint?

New
BYU
Denver

I'd also look at San Jose State and Utah State to go to 12 if those schools felt they couldn't continue in football. University of Seattle makes a ton of sense, too. Probably more than Utah State (unless BYU pushed that).

While I question the truth to that, you are still adding two mouths to feed. All the MWC schools lose financially because of this.

I think all of that is yet to be determined. Thompson alluded to the fact last night that the expansion was done in part to appease the MWC's television partners.

Back