What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

BYU to the Big 12 if OU stays put??

Alfred91

Chicks dig scars.
Club Member
News9.com
PROVO, Utah -- According to BYU-Football.com, recently independent Brigham Young Cougars would accept an invitation and join the Big 12 when and if Oklahoma will pledge its commitment to the conference.

BYU had long been rumored to be one of the frontrunners for a spot in the conference left by Texas A&M's eventual departure, as well as the possibility of the conference dissolving. Reports surfaced Tuesday that the University of Arkansas had been contacted about joining the Big 12, but no progress was made.

The move to potentially add the Cougars comes the day following the SEC announcing that they would be adding Texas A&M, pending the remaining Big 12 schools pledging not to pursue legal action. However, in the same release it was announced that at least one Big 12 school was unable to let the Aggies leave and had threatened to sue both the conference and commissioner Mike Slive.

Later Wednesday, it was learned that eight current Big 12 schools would not agree.

The Cougars competed in the Mountain West Conference from 1999-2010, before officially becoming a Division 1-A Independent in July of 2011. While competing in the Western Athletic Conference for more than 30 years, BYU claimed one National Title in 1984 under head coach LaVell Edwards.

According to the report, the move could be announced as early as Saturday.

http://www.newson6.com/story/15419503/report-byu-to-join-big-12-if-ou-remains-in-conference

The ball, as ITB correctly pointed out, is in OU's court. They hold all the cards right now. OU is the lynchpin to the survival of the conference. They leave, and it's done. They stay, and it will likely survive - for at least another few years. They have a pretty good deal going. If they can coerce some concessions out of the whorns, I would tend to think they'd stick around.

BYU to the B12 makes a lot of sense. In fact, if I were the B12, I'd look at adding BYU, UNM and Memphis to get back to 12 teams while picking up some decent markets along the way.

The ball, as ITB correctly pointed out, is in OU's court. They hold all the cards right now. OU is the lynchpin to the survival of the conference. They leave, and it's done. They stay, and it will likely survive - for at least another few years. They have a pretty good deal going. If they can coerce some concessions out of the whorns, I would tend to think they'd stick around.

BYU to the B12 makes a lot of sense. In fact, if I were the B12, I'd look at adding BYU, UNM and Memphis to get back to 12 teams while picking up some decent markets along the way.
Not to mention that they have their own network also.

I can see BYU and maybe even Memphis, but not UNM. NM has squat for population, virtually no FBS recruits, and no one really watches CF there anyway. I think they'd be better off poaching one of the Conf USA teams like Southern Miss or UCF.

I say add both BYU and Houston. Double the Cougars, double the fun!
cougars-cougar-life.jpg

cougars10.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I can see BYU and maybe even Memphis, but not UNM. NM has squat for population, virtually no FBS recruits, and no one really watches CF there anyway. I think they'd be better off poaching one of the Conf USA teams like Southern Miss or UCF.

UNM has Albequerque and the surrounding area which has a population of over 1 million and is one of the fastest growing cities in the country. They have virtually the undivided attention since there are no other legit D1 programs in the state (NMSU is FBS, barely) and no major league professional sports franchises. UNM is not much different than Utah was a few years ago before they rose to prominence except they don't have a BYU to compete against.

The problem for UNM is that they have been such a historically bad program that they have failed to grab the attention of the fans in the area. The school has not put the resources into the program to change that situation. NM does not produce an abundance of talent but that could be said for a lot of states with highly successfull programs in them.

NOT saying that UNM deserves to step up into major conference status, if the PAC is going to add some schools I would of course prefer OU and KU but if the Big XII is looking to add schools UNM adds a potentially valuable TV market and expands to another state outside of Texas while remaining comfortably close.

UNM has Albequerque and the surrounding area which has a population of over 1 million and is one of the fastest growing cities in the country. They have virtually the undivided attention since there are no other legit D1 programs in the state (NMSU is FBS, barely) and no major league professional sports franchises. UNM is not much different than Utah was a few years ago before they rose to prominence except they don't have a BYU to compete against.

The problem for UNM is that they have been such a historically bad program that they have failed to grab the attention of the fans in the area. The school has not put the resources into the program to change that situation. NM does not produce an abundance of talent but that could be said for a lot of states with highly successfull programs in them.

NOT saying that UNM deserves to step up into major conference status, if the PAC is going to add some schools I would of course prefer OU and KU but if the Big XII is looking to add schools UNM adds a potentially valuable TV market and expands to another state outside of Texas while remaining comfortably close.

This being the case, why worry about adding the crappy team? Adding UNM ends up being as much of a drain as having Bailer in the Big12. 10 years from now UNM will still be without a bowl invite and hoping to win 4-5 games a year.

Just throw PAC network into the state via TV provider. Having UNM does not increase the value of the league.

Back