1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

C-Unit Reunion At The Sink A Success

Discussion in 'CU Buffs Newsroom' started by RSSBot, Apr 24, 2012.

1. RSSBot

RSSBot News Junkie

Category: Men's Basketball

It has been over a month since Colorado Basketball clinched its first PAC-12 championship and the 50 students that traveled to Los Angeles are still going strong. The 50 C-Unit members plus the athletic department staff and guests gathered at The Sink around some pizza and reminisced on the historic journey the whole group embarked on back in March.

Originally posted by CUBuffs.com
    Click here to view the article.

2. Daaah

Daaah Club Member Club Member

Ashton Horowitz, a junior integrative physiology major, who was only one of five girls in the OG 50, said, “I really appreciated Tad coming and taking the time to thank us. It was really nice to know that we actually do make a difference for the team.”

^^^Interesting that they refer to her as a girl, not woman.

3. Ruckus

Ruckus Peep my words. Club Member

At which point in life does it switch? And does it also depend on the person using the term?

4. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

I generally use boy/girl through high school and man/woman after that.

That said, I still think of college students as "kids"... especially when they're under 21.

5. buff4bcs1985

buff4bcs1985 Hail to the King

first c-unit now obama... the rest of the nation really is following in cu's footsteps LOL

6. Ruckus

Ruckus Peep my words. Club Member

I know we had a thread on this a couple years ago. Can't remember what position I took, but I find it to be very circumstantial. I agree with Daaah in this case that the writer of the article should have used "woman" to describe the girl. The author is:
    Jariya Phanpaktra, Student Assistant SID
    I am going to guess that is a woman's name, and can assume she is of college age, so I find it less weird, but she still should have used "woman" in the professional setting of a news story. If just talking to friends or peers in an informal setting, the use of "girl" would not be strange at all.

EDIT: Not going to fix the formatting, just want to complain about it. Damn formatting!!

Last edited: Apr 24, 2012
  7. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

Females in college are girls.

8. Daaah

Daaah Club Member Club Member

I don't think it's a huge deal, but it is put out by the university so it should be correct and I think it's fair to call it out. I admittedly do not follow the women's team, but it's not the girl's basketball team, it's the women's basketball team. The people in the student section are the same age as the people playing. If you're old enough to vote or join the military, you're old enough to be referred to as an adult in a university press release imo.