1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cabral for HC?

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by Unleash Hell, Nov 9, 2010.

?

What will make you want Cabral for HC?

1. I'll take Cabral no matter what

8 vote(s)
    13.1%
  2. If he wins out

18 vote(s)
    29.5%
  3. Just show us you can beat Nebraska

4 vote(s)
    6.6%
  4. No thanks, we need a fresh face

31 vote(s)
    50.8%
  1. Unleash Hell

Unleash Hell Well-Known Member

So this is Cabrals second stint as a interim HC here. He wants to be a HC someday and when asked today if he wanted to be the permanent coach, he said yes.

I love the guy personally, but I just don't know about him being the next HC. I think we need a fresh face, but the guy does bleed black and gold and knows what it takes to win here.

What

2. Darian3Hagan

Darian3Hagan '89 Player of the Year Club Member

I love BC but no. Gotta be a coordinator first.

3. buff4bcs1985

buff4bcs1985 Hail to the King

this

4. JimmyBuff

JimmyBuff Well-Known Member

Uh, no.

5. rodrigo

rodrigo Well-Known Member

No. Same as Logan. If he had the stuff to be the big boss it would have happened by now. He's a great coach. You gotta love his passion for CU. And I would not be bothered by him being on the next staff, maybe even DC. But there is a reason why he's gone the better part of 2 1/2 decades as an assistant.

6. Finest

Finest New Member

I'm not for this, but we could do worse...like a high school coach.

7. ThndringHerd

ThndringHerd Well-Known Member

Not going to vote yet, because I need time to think about it. If they win out, it would be pretty hard to say no.

8. UrbanaBuff

UrbanaBuff Member

Cabral would likely be good as the face of the program and with boosters. Add in recruiting, and those are a HC's most important jobs. If we hire very high quality coordinators, as Bohn hinted at, the football (X's and O's) part should be fine. The HC as CEO model is not the norm, but it does work. This is how you circumvent budget contraints for the HC salary.

9. BuffAlum2007

BuffAlum2007 Well-Known Member

This as well...would be ideal if whoever we hire as the next coach makes Cabral the DC...

10. Wise Old Man

Wise Old Man Member

I dunno.. Cabral would be inexpensive.. Maybe we could use that extra money and just absolutely stack ALL the coordinator and positions coach options... Really I don't know how many high profile assistants really exist, but I love the guy. I think he would be a terrific coach given the chance

11. DBT

DBT Club Member Club Member

I voted no, but It is hard to say anything negative about BC. He's one of the all time great Buffs.

12. michase10

michase10 New Member

I said if he won out. IDK the guy knows his football (I'm sure, but not after the previous regime) and would stay loyal to CU. I'm also sure he is a good motivator... so I will wait to make judgement on him as HC.

13. lvbuff

lvbuff Well-Known Member

He is a recruiting GOD....give him a shot

14. dio

dio Admin Club Member Junta Member

I wanted to put, "If he wins out - maybe"

15. Lt.Col.FrankSlade

Lt.Col.FrankSlade Well-Known Member

I really like Cabral. A lot. He is a man of great integrity and commitment. I know he would love nothing more than to be CU's head coach.

But consider ---

Cabral joined CU's coaching staff as a graduate assistant in 1989, and was promoted to inside linebackers coach in 1990. He had 3 years prior experience as a linebackers coach at Purdue. When McCartney retired at the end of the 1994 season, Mike Hankwitz left as well (went to Kansas, I believe). Cabral was NOT promoted to defensive coordinator. Neuheisel hired AJ Christoff as Defensive Coordinator - but retained Cabral as LB coach.

When Neuheisel left in 1998, AJ Christoff left as well. Gary Barnett, who had been on the same staff as Cabral during the 1989-1990 seasons, did not promote Cabral to defensive coordinator. Instead, Barnett brought Vince Okruch with him to be his defensive coordinator. When Barnett was suspended in the spring of 2004, Cabral was promoted to interim head coach. Under significant pressure in his final season, Barnett fired Vince Okruch. He did not promote Brian Cabral to be defensive coordinator. Instead, he brought back Mike Hankwitz.

Upon his hiring, Dan Hawkins retained Cabral, but did not promote him. Instead, Hawkins brought Ron Collins, who had been his defensive coordinator at Boise.

Read into all that what you may, but Brian Cabral has either been seriously wronged for the past 20 years, or there is something about him that just turns off head coaches / administrators when it comes to promoting him. At the same time, I think there are some people who are just experts at what they do -- and I think Brian Cabral is one of those people. He is just an expert at coaching linebackers. It is what he does best, and sometimes I think that it is a good thing that he has stayed on in that capacity.

I would hope that the next coach keeps Cabral on his staff. I would hope Cabral continues to maintain the "Assistant Head Coach" title. I would hope that Cabral receives a very hefty raise (along with all the other coaches who CU hires/retains).

16. CUFan

CUFan Welcome back Club Member

I think out of respect for Cabral you give him the opportunity to present his plan as head coach. I believe he should be a coordinator first, but if you give the guy the interim job twice, you need to take his pitch for HC seriously.