What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Cal/Colorado Game ON for next season

Did you graduate from CAL, or are you simply a fan? That is a critical question. You see....we have a bunch of dumb-ass Hisker fans on this board who never went to college, but proclaim themselves to be NU fans.....

Yeah I went to Cal and so did both my parents. Been going to games since I was 5 years old. We don't have a lot of non-alum fans. I'm sure once we finally go to a BCS Bowl we'll get a few but it's not that kind of school/town really (as I'm sure you guys know).

We had an event with our AD Sandy Barbour and linebackers coach Kenwick Thompson to go over the recruiting class last night. (If anyone wants to pick nits and google it, it was at the Mountaingate Country Club). That's where I heard about the game next year.

Looking forward to it -- really like Boulder and I have a lot of CU alum friends (being from CA) so it should be a good time.

Yeah I went to Cal and so did both my parents. Been going to games since I was 5 years old. We don't have a lot of non-alum fans. I'm sure once we finally go to a BCS Bowl we'll get a few but it's not that kind of school/town really (as I'm sure you guys know).

We had an event with our AD Sandy Barbour and linebackers coach Kenwick Thompson to go over the recruiting class last night. (If anyone wants to pick nits and google it, it was at the Mountaingate Country Club). That's where I heard about the game next year.

Looking forward to it -- really like Boulder and I have a lot of CU alum friends (being from CA) so it should be a good time.

Then...rep on its way....FYI...**** the huskers on this board.

Then...rep on its way....FYI...**** the huskers on this board.

At the risk of asking what I'm 100% sure is a stupid question, can you tell me how the "reputation" system works on here? It seems like a really good idea, I wish we had it on our board.

At the risk of asking what I'm 100% sure is a stupid question, can you tell me how the "reputation" system works on here? It seems like a really good idea, I wish we had it on our board.

sure. but i'll need you to test it out in a particular way that we all use... go to the last post by "buffsurveyor" (who, as i am sure, with your cal education, you have gathered, is a ****ing troll). click the "star" at the bottom of the post. click on "i disapprove"... that's all you really need to know. :rofl:

sure. but i'll need you to test it out in a particular way that we all use... go to the last post by "buffsurveyor" (who, as i am sure, with your cal education, you have gathered, is a ****ing troll). click the "star" at the bottom of the post. click on "i disapprove"... that's all you really need to know. :rofl:

Get ready for some neg rep....

My grandfather was on the '29 rose bowl wrong way riggles team, but I still hate cal. I purchased season tickets a few years ago and ended up watching some of the games up on tightwaaaad hill just to get some atmosphere. At least those folks weren't on their cell phones 1/2 the game. How a team could be ranked #4 in the country and have a stadium that dead is beyond me.

I love the move to the pac 12, but the game day atmosphere is going to be a step down on road trips. Hopefully CU can bring some life to these stadiums.

My grandfather was on the '29 rose bowl wrong way riggles team, but I still hate cal. I purchased season tickets a few years ago and ended up watching some of the games up on tightwaaaad hill just to get some atmosphere. At least those folks weren't on their cell phones 1/2 the game. How a team could be ranked #4 in the country and have a stadium that dead is beyond me.

I love the move to the pac 12, but the game day atmosphere is going to be a step down on road trips. Hopefully CU can bring some life to these stadiums.

Depends on the game -- the students are usually pretty good (the east side of the stadium) and the sections around there are decent. The bluehairs on the west side are, let's say not ideal.

As for Pac-12 stadiums atmosphere, it varies (as I'm sure it did in the Big 12 too - Is Iowa St really an ideal gameday experience?) but I would say it's probably going to be mellower than you're used to. The exceptions to that are Autzen in Eugene (small but LOUD) and Husky Stadium (especially when the team is decent -- also incredibly loud).

The only place that is truly always dead is Stanford Stadium. No matter how good the team is it never sells out.

Agree on Stanford atmosphere - went to the season finale against OSU -- probably less than 30k to see their last home game with a top 5 team in brand new stadium and at the time looking like Lucks final game for the Cardinal. I've heard the excuses - small private school in nice area makes it tough but still was pretty pathetic.

Is Iowa St really an ideal gameday experience?)

My one experience in Ames, IA for a game, there were two tornadoes that went right through town. Seriously. We were playing the cyclones WHILE actual cyclones were ripping appart pieces of the town. All in all, Ames blows, but that was an experience I'll never forget. My biggest issue was that I couldn't find a decent deli to get some sammiches for the tailgate.

Stanford has one big advantage over Cal, IMO, and that's their tailgating opportunities. I don't think they take advantage of it enough, but they should. I'm planning on going to the Stanford game this year and showing those high-brows how to run a proper tailgate party.

Depends on the game -- the students are usually pretty good (the east side of the stadium) and the sections around there are decent. The bluehairs on the west side are, let's say not ideal.

As for Pac-12 stadiums atmosphere, it varies (as I'm sure it did in the Big 12 too - Is Iowa St really an ideal gameday experience?) but I would say it's probably going to be mellower than you're used to. The exceptions to that are Autzen in Eugene (small but LOUD) and Husky Stadium (especially when the team is decent -- also incredibly loud).

The only place that is truly always dead is Stanford Stadium. No matter how good the team is it never sells out.

Welcome Maxer. Keep your reviews of other PAC venues coming.
You gotta spill the beans on Wazzou, Zona, the SoCal institutions, and anywhere else in the conference that deserves a review.

Boulder in September is a very good destination for you traveling bears.

You gotta spill the beans on ..... the SoCal institutions.

You are absolutely going to love the seats U$C calls the visitor section. Best seats ever.... if you like watching colored ants run around.

Wow, I thought you guys were putting in some new seats, cleaning it up, and building a press box or something. After looking at those pictures it looks like they are literally removing all of the concrete from the hole in the ground and rebuilding almost the entire thing.

From what I understand, only the west side outer wall will remain for historical purposes. The entire western deck will be replaced and improved earthquake-proof supports added, indoor club levels will be dug underneath for the seats between the 30's, and the sections spanning the fault will be isolated and made into very rigid structures with seats on top. There will be a new press box/ exclusive 'university club' on the west rim from goal line to goal line. It will be almost all glass and have spectacular views of the golden gate and bay. The east side will remain the same for now, until extra money is raised to dig into the hill and place amenities like restrooms and probably another club below ground. And the field is being lowered so that people sitting in the first 5-10 rows can see the field over players standing on the benches.

Last edited:
My one experience in Ames, IA for a game, there were two tornadoes that went right through town. Seriously. We were playing the cyclones WHILE actual cyclones were ripping appart pieces of the town.
Was that 2005? AKA CU's Waterloo?

Was that 2005? AKA CU's Waterloo?

Yes it was. Quite possibly the weirdest game I've ever been to. I didn't realize it at the time, because I thought the weather had just affected the players. I fully expected CU to go out two weeks later and beat the ever living piss out of the fuskers. I viewed that game as the kind of thing that just happens from time to time.

You are absolutely going to love the seats U$C calls the visitor section. Best seats ever.... if you like watching colored ants run around.

Sounds like an endorsement for stub-hub. Not a problem until 2012.

Knowing what you know now, which roadie would you choose for the 2011 season between Stanford, UCLA, Washington and ASU (in late Oct)?

The visitors seats at Cal weren't too bad. I was craving Steve's Korean BBQ just yesterday. Burkeley was a great road trip destination, except for the game, of course. I'm looking forward to see the stadium renovation.

Was that the game where their 7 foot tall WR absolutely killed us?

Must've been after their super-tricky, nobody-expected-it, tackle eligible play. Of course, that occurred sometime after "shortbus" just had to have his scripted plays -- including the very first offensive play of the game which was an out and up move by the Buff receiver and a lob pass from the qb with the wind gusting between 30-40 mph.

What. A. Tool.

Welcome Maxer. Keep your reviews of other PAC venues coming.
You gotta spill the beans on Wazzou, Zona, the SoCal institutions, and anywhere else in the conference that deserves a review.

Boulder in September is a very good destination for you traveling bears.

Alright I'l give it a shot.

Wazzu: Truly in the middle of nowhere. I think the stadium holds around 35k and is usually full of enthusiastic fans (nothing else to do in Pullman - plus this is the fanbase that has waved WSU flags at every College Gameday since the mid-90's regardless of location) but it's TINY and a hassle to get to. I know some people that have gone to road games here actually stay across the border in Moscow, Idaho (where U of Idaho is) - more going on there.

Arizona: Tuscon is a nice place. Beware of night games here (and at ASU -- more on them later) and the stadium is decent. They put the students in a ring of like 20 rows all the way around the place, which is interesting. Don't sit there. Decent places to eat, pretty good tailgating setup.

ASU: Stadium feels like a pro stadium (used to be one). Chicks are just unbelievable. Decent tailgating. Don't go here at night unless you want to fight drunken idiots. Students are particularly stupid and obnoxious.

USC: Great tailgating setup on campus, then you walk through the campus to the Coliseum. Fans are ok (obnoxious and arrogant, but no one is going to throw a bottle at you), and I think they're starting to lose their casual fans from West Covina now that they aren't the juggernaut they used to be. Coliseum is huge with terrible sightlines though, and the visitor tickets are truly horrendous -- buy tix on Stubhub (as someone else mentioned). Feel free to sit anywhere, USC fans are not a threat.

UCLA: The Rose Bowl is cool, although rarely full for UCLA games recently since the team is bad. Tailgating is on a gigantic park/golf course surrounding the stadium, so space is never a problem but it's hard to meet up with people if you're trying to do that. Usually enough space to spread out in the stadium or move to sit with friends or whatever.

Autzen: LOUD. Alums are usually decent, big contingent of insane meth cooking locals now that they're good. Be wary of them. Great atmosphere though, and Eugene is just big enough to have enough to do for a weekend.

Corvalis: Recently remodeled and surprisingly nice stadium (Reser). Nice fans generally. Gets compared to Wazzu a lot but is a lot easier to get to. Small town but I enjoyed coming here a lot. Really devoted, friendly fans. You can cruise around the tailgates and people will offer you stuff and ask about your team.

Stanford: Brand new stadium. They downsized from approx 72k seats to 50k and still never fill it, even last year when they were a Top 5 BCS team. Lots of space to tailgate. Recommend staying in San Francisco and either renting a bus (if you have a big group) or taking CalTrain down for the game. Somnolent atmosphere in the actual stadium, unless there are enough visiting fans to liven it up.

Cal: I'm obviously biased, but I think it's a pretty good experience. I'm sure some of you guys where there last year. Tailgating is not traditional (since there's no space). It's more about going to bars which have gameday stuff going on. Henry's is usually the best, Lair of the Bear on campus if you can get in, there's some stuff on Telegraph Ave. as well. The stadium is being significantly remodeled so next year home games are going to be at AT&T Park in San Francisco.

Utah: Never been -- you guys have any insight?

Alright I'l give it a shot....

Thanks, Maxer.

Utah's going to be new for us, too. CU hasn't played them since 1962. In 1961, Utah spoiled what might have been a national championship season for the Buffs. We went 9-1 that year, won the Big 8 and finished #4 in the nation. I suspect we'll have some of the old timers chiming in this November about how they've waited 50 years for payback. :smile2:

Thanks, Maxer.

Utah's going to be new for us, too. CU hasn't played them since 1962. In 1961, Utah spoiled what might have been a national championship season for the Buffs. We went 9-1 that year, won the Big 8 and finished #4 in the nation. I suspect we'll have some of the old timers chiming in this November about how they've waited 50 years for payback. :smile2:

DBT is fired up!

So Maxer what would you say would be the best place to road trip for a group of college students out of So Cal or Arizona?

Don't worry, CU students will fit in just fine with ASU students.

Nice review. Rep. A beer awaits you if we ever meet.

It looks like CU will play UU (U2?) on rivalry week, last game of the regular season. This is great news for Buffs fans because ski season is well under way. Any late November trip to Salt Lake might just include a bolt on ski trip up to Park City or Little Cottonwood Canyon.

The Winter Olympics really kicked Utah up a notch. I'm looking forward to seeing the only stadium in the Pac12 to host the Winter Games.

The UU fans who spilled over on this site during last summer's conferencepalooza were a trip. We had accusations of BYU fans masquerading as Utes. Some Utes bragging, others trying to play the gracious host. They left a U-tarded first impression on teh webz. The Utah instate rivalry tends to spill over like some slap-fight scene from Borat. It will be interesting to tailgate in Salt Lake City and see these guys and gals in person and get a sense for the SLCPD's policy on open containers.

I kinda expect any Utah fan that invades a guest tailgater might actually just be trying to score weed from the visiting heathens.

One guy who posted over here sure was proud of Ute tailgate rigs that take the form of a custom school bus, ambulance, or pirate ship. The Utah eye candy is allegedly a big deal. We shall see if Utah is big on BBQ, but otherwise a BYOB kinda place. Thank God they have a major airport near by, and lots of lodging.

Last edited by a moderator:
So Maxer what would you say would be the best place to road trip for a group of college students out of So Cal or Arizona?

Don't worry, CU students will fit in just fine with ASU students.

If you're going just for the game and to get hammered, go to Arizona or Arizona State. Cheaper and closer. However - DO NOT GO TO MEXICO. You will get arrested and thrown in Mexican jail, and you will need to bribe your way out. Does not make for a good trip.

Going to LA is great too, but you know -- baby steps.

Nice review. Rep. A beer awaits you if we ever meet.

It looks like CU will play UU (U2?) on rivalry week, last game of the regular season. This is great news for Buffs fans because ski season is well under way. Any late November trip to Salt Lake might just include a bolt on ski trip up to Park City or Little Cottonwood Canyon.

The Winter Olympics really kicked Utah up a notch. I'm looking forward to seeing the only stadium in the Pac12 to host the Winter Games.

The UU fans who spilled over on this site during last summer's conferencepalooza were a trip. We had accusations of BYU fans masquerading as Utes. Some Utes bragging, others trying to play the gracious host. They left a U-tarded first impression on teh webz. The Utah instate rivalry tends to spill over like some slap-fight scene from Borat. It will be interesting to tailgate in Salt Lake City and see these guys and gals in person and get a sense for the SLCPD's policy on open containers.

I kinda expect any Utah fan that invades a guest tailgater might actually just be trying to score weed from the visiting heathens.

One guy who posted over here sure was proud of Ute tailgate rigs that take the form of a custom school bus, ambulance, or pirate ship. The Utah eye candy is allegedly a big deal. We shall see if Utah is big on BBQ, but otherwise a BYOB kinda place. Thank God they have a major airport near by, and lots of lodging.

Hoping if I play my cards right i can stop by your tailgate (assuming you have one) in Boulder in Sept.

Utah sounds like a trip -- I've been skiing there many times but never to a game -- looking forward to the scene.

i've been to a lot of the p10 stadiums so i will throw in my 3.21 cents, too, on the ones i have been to.

stanford: like max said, it is quiet and usually not filled. nice, polite fans for the most part. tailgating isn't horrible. it is just not that great of a college football experience. pretty bland.

cal: this last game with CU was my only visit. the stadium is in horrible shape (good thing they are building a new one), but everyone was really nice. i tailgated with some big donors, right on campus, and had a great time. ... except for the results of the game itself.

usc: there is always a lot going on on-campus and you'll probably get offered a beer or 2. the colosseum is basically across the street so it is convenient. the stadium has a very cool retro feel to it and it rocks loudly when it is sold out and usc is doing well. but, the sight lines are mostly horrible.

ucla: effing hot, usually. the tailgating is a marathon, not a sprint. like max said, you park on a golf course and you are basically stuck in place until long after the game ends. it is usually half empty and the ucla fans are usually not particularly enthusiastic.

ua: tuscon is ok. the stadium is ok. there are some nice resorts and restaurants, so you can make a good weekend out of it for sure.

asu: i'd definitely follow max's advice and not hang around after the games at the stadium. other than that, it is a very good roadie. again, lots of good resorts and golf and food.

uw: great long weekend roadie. see if you can get on one of the tailgating boats. it is pretty damned fun if it isn't raining sideways. good stadium, but can get cold. fans are generally ok.

in coming seasons, i definitely want to hit eugene. never been there and heard it is cool.

What's the situation with Stanford lodging, night life, grub, and general milling around campus?

I really enjoy getting a hotel within staggering distance between the stadium and the campus and the bar scene. The less automobile time, the better.

Does Palo Alto offer up anything like that? What is the name of Stanford's best dining & entertainment district?

What's the situation with Stanford lodging, night life, grub, and general milling around campus?

I really enjoy getting a hotel within staggering distance between the stadium and the campus and the bar scene. The less automobile time, the better.

Does Palo Alto offer up anything like that? What is the name of Stanford's best dining & entertainment district?

the campus is really pretty and folks are nice. there are hotels near there, but i am not sure i'd call many of them "staggering" distance. downtown palo alto has some good restaurants and bars, but the real action is in the city. as max said, the play is probably to stay in the city, head down the peninsula for the game, do a little tailgating and look around the campus, and then head back up to the city.

the campus is really pretty and folks are nice. there are hotels near there, but i am not sure i'd call many of them "staggering" distance. downtown palo alto has some good restaurants and bars, but the real action is in the city. as max said, the play is probably to stay in the city, head down the peninsula for the game, do a little tailgating and look around the campus, and then head back up to the city.

:nod: stay in the city and drive down for the game. That's what I do.

Stanford: Brand new stadium. They downsized from approx 72k seats to 50k and still never fill it, even last year when they were a Top 5 BCS team. Lots of space to tailgate. Recommend staying in San Francisco and either renting a bus (if you have a big group) or taking CalTrain down for the game. Somnolent atmosphere in the actual stadium, unless there are enough visiting fans to liven it up.

This entire post was awesome (rep), but I have to say that is the first time I've ever seen the word "somnolent" on this board. Definitely believe you are a Cal grad now. It's a major step up from most of the other opposition fans we usually have on this board. We usually get:

[NU inside joke handle]: Were gunna crush you your gunna be so sad. I got my tires slashed when i was at folsom the last time we crushed you then you through a water balon at me i think it was filled with pee. Lincoln is 2ice the football town Bolder ever thought of. We could of filled your crappy stadium if we wanted to. Later idots! GBR.

Back