1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cal: Jeff Tedford on the hot seat for 2010?

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by Buffnik, Dec 28, 2009.

1. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

I just say this in ESPN Rumors and thought it was very interesting. http://insider.espn.go.com/ncf/features/rumors

Tedford on the hot seat for 2010
    2:45
    PM ET
    California Golden Bears Top Email

Jeff Tedford is on the hot seat for next season and, as ESPN.com's Ted Miller puts it, "At this point, it's not unfair to speculate that there's new pressure" on him.

The Contra Costa Times' Gary Peterson writes, "Since Tedford's arrival, Cal has measured itself against conference kingpin USC. The Bears still can't get over on the Trojans -- now it appears they've been surpassed by the Oregon schools, Arizona and, most painfully for them, Stanford."

When Tedford first came in, he turned a 1-10 team into a 7-5 team. Since then, he's not had a losing season. During that time, he was even rumored for some high-profile openings, including some in the NFL. But after a 10-3 season in 2006, the team has lost an average of five games a season. And like Peterson writes, this isn't good enough when you're competing with the likes of the California and Oregon schools.

That said, Tedford signed an extension through 2015 in January, so that might give him some comfort. But schools oust their coaches before their contract is up all the time, and if Tedford has another disappointing season in 2010, it could be his last.

2. mdelpizzo_1

mdelpizzo_1 My Dixie Wrecked Club Member

Wow I wish we were in a position that we could do that with a coach... upset over winning seasons

3. aik

aik Club Member Club Member

Earlier this season I would have said he was on the hot seat. So, yes. With the athletes he's had and a couple of years of USC tripping over themselves I think a BCS bowl should have been reached by now.

4. zbuff

zbuff Club Member Club Member

I don't know - there are only 4 BCS bowls plus the MNC. Expecting a top tier bowl is one thisng, but expecting a top ten team is another. If I were a Cal fan I'd be disappointed with this year, but Tedford's a good coach, attracting good talent. They'd be foolish to drop him after another 8-5 season.

5. MiamiBuffs

MiamiBuffs Wᴉɐɯᴉ qnɟɟs Club Member

Meh. Why should I care about this unless Dan Hawkins is a candidate.

6. White_Rabbit

White_Rabbit Club Member Club Member

Because if Tedford and Hawk both get fired next season I could see us targeting him.

7. navybuff

navybuff Member

We were in that position with Barnett.

8. buffwings

buffwings Club Member Club Member

Where will Hack start in next year's COachhotseat ranking? I imagine close to #1.

9. SINKRATZ

SINKRATZ Club Member Club Member

Dude we get it, you hate Hawk. I've read this same post from you a hundred times in dozens of other threads...let it go. :huh:

10. buffwings

buffwings Club Member Club Member

Sorry but the only thing we have to look forward to is who the next coach is going to be. We see all these coaches getting axed, and others in the hotseat and wonder "WOW, we would love to have these guys" but all we are left with a terrible HC with mediocre assistants (sans Cabral), who makes moronic decisions and a school administration who not only backs them up but contributes to idiocy. We can talk about how great recruits will be and how the gameplan will be better next year but realistically we have know idea who Hack will play and what sort of scheme he will mastermind into yet another losing season. I am so angry that he has killed my spirit for the game. We all watch the bowl games thinking the same thing, why cant we be playing when schools we beat (at least two of them) are playing in bowl games. I will always be a fan, it's my alma mater and I will always want the best for them, but this staff and administration has definately killed a lot of the enthusiasm for the game. I feel sorry for those students who will have spent all fouor years at CU watching a crappy coach who cant even get one winning season for them. They will not be big supporters of the program as their experiences were much different than those of us who were there in the late 80s through the mid 2000s.

Just MHO, but one shared by many others.

11. SINKRATZ

SINKRATZ Club Member Club Member

Duly noted.

12. Idot Buff

Idot Buff Club Member Club Member

13. JimmyBuff

JimmyBuff Well-Known Member

I must have missed the time where CAL football is supposed to BCS worthy.. Cal football does remember what they were before Tedford don't they?

14. DesertDawg526

DesertDawg526 Resident Dawg Club Member

Cal used to be to the Pac what Baylor currently is to the Big XII.