What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Cal raises admissions standards for football

I guess we will be raising our standards too...the number of players with 3.0+ gpas are the way to go under DiStef.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big surprise on CAL. Somebody posted a link last year on the number of admission exemptions sought by coachs and Tedford led the universe in that! More than half his roster was comprised of kids who couldn't qualify for Cal's admission standards, such as reading at an 8th grade level or spelling your name the same way twice on the application form.

No more! CAL will only allow 40% of its roster to consist of such defective students! Meanwhile, Ariz. St. and U$C wanted someone to explain: "What is this 'admission standards for the football players', of which you speak?", while Utah's response was submitted in Tongan.

Big surprise on CAL. Somebody posted a link last year on the number of admission exemptions sought by coachs and Tedford led the universe in that! More than half his roster was comprised of kids who couldn't qualify for Cal's admission standards, such as reading at an 8th grade level or spelling your name the same way twice on the application form.

No more! CAL will only allow 40% of its roster to consist of such defective students! Meanwhile, Ariz. St. and U$C wanted someone to explain: "What is this 'admission standards for the football players', of which you speak?", while Utah's response was submitted in Tongan.

Strong

The real culprit here is immunization shots. We have an epidemic of learning disabilities in this country. Coincidentally, the diagnosis is especially prevalent among top football prospects:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/otl/news/story?id=4737281

The real culprit here is immunization shots. We have an epidemic of learning disabilities in this country. Coincidentally, the diagnosis is especially prevalent among top football prospects:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/otl/news/story?id=4737281

h3EB83142

Jesus,

After reading the Espin story , I'm glad we don't take our football serious enough

I'm going the other way. CU got a $250M donation for the study of cognitive disabilities not so long ago.
That money is already being put to use helping to find breakthroughs on how to educate dyslexics and students with any number of learning disabilities (LD).

Seeing that Rick George has the foresight to link the facilities project with cutting edge sports medicine science from the CU medical center, would it not also make sense to establish a similar bond with CU's cognitive disability research, too?

Since CU is carving out a niche in this field already, it only makes sense to leverage this competitive advantage in the athletic department. I would love for MacIntyre to find recruits who might not thrive at most universities, but who can come to CU for the opportunity to break through their LD. This would also give the academic researchers a chance to show off their cutting edge science and techniques. CU sports fans might see some brilliant and athletically gifted kid with an LD a compete at the highest level. Win, win, win.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm going the other way. CU got a $250M donation for the study of cognitive disabilities not so long ago.
That money is already being put to use helping to find breakthroughs on how to educate dyslexics and students with any number of learning disabilities (LD).

Seeing that Rick George has the foresight to link the facilities project with cutting edge sports medicine science from the CU medical center, would it not also make sense to establish a similar bond with CU's cognitive disability research, too?

Since CU is carving out a niche in this field already, it only makes sense to leverage this competitive advantage in the athletic department. I would love to find recruits with who might not thrive at most universities who can come to CU for the opportunity to break through their LD. This would also give the academic researchers a chance to show off their cutting edge remediation techniques. And CU sports fans might see some brilliant and athletically gifted kid with an LD a compete at the highest level. Win, win, win.
Is this supposed to be funny?

Since CU is carving out a niche in this field already, it only makes sense to leverage this competitive advantage in the athletic department. I would love to find recruits with who might not thrive at most universities who can come to CU for the opportunity to break through their LD. This would also give the academic researchers a chance to show off their cutting edge remediation techniques. And CU sports fans might see some brilliant and athletically gifted kid with an LD a compete at the highest level. Win, win, win.

In the works. Rick George already had the dedication plaque for the new facility made and uses it in his presentation.

tumblr_l8wkfpSzOu1qa9a0do1_500.jpg

Is this supposed to be funny?

There may be a perception than learning disorders are a sign of people being stupid.
The truth is that there is a vast range between severe mental retardation and a highly functional dyslexic who can not read.

Each of these athletes have dyslexia, and are considered highly intelligent.
Muhammad Ali
Bruce Jenner
Magic Johnson
Nolan Ryan
Rex Ryan, Coach.

How many football recruits have dyslexia, can't read, but are otherwise brilliant?
Info on the Coleman Institute at CU is provided. The mission of the Coleman Institute for Cognitive Disabilities is to catalyze and integrate advances in science, engineering, and technology to promote the quality of life and independent living of people with cognitive disabilities. Over 28 million people in the U.S. alone are affected by impaired cognitive function such as intellectual disabilities, brain injury, Alzheimer's disease, stroke, and serious, persistent mental illness. An estimated 350,000 persons in Colorado have cognitive disabilities.

Brain injury, as is prone to occur, is yet another angle where this department has something to offer.

I am dyslexic.(mildly)

There may be a perception than learning disorders are a sign of people being stupid.
The truth is that there is a vast range between severe mental retardation and a highly functional dyslexic who can not read.

Muhammad Ali
Bruce Jenner
Magic Johnson
Nolan Ryan
Rex Ryan, Coach.

It is embarrassing at times, but in no way would I equate it with other mental handicaps. Not being able to identify issues with your spelling and issues concerning reading are vastly different then cognitive dysfunction that is readily visible physically and in speech patterns. Most people don't even know I have an issue. It is only when you attempt to read my writing or when I attempt to do stuff on a site like this that it comes out.​

Muhammad Ali
Bruce Jenner
Magic Johnson
Nolan Ryan
Rex Ryan, Coach.

How many football recruits have dyslexia, can't read, but are otherwise brilliant?
Info on the Coleman Institute at CU is provided. The mission of the Coleman Institute for Cognitive Disabilities is to catalyze and integrate advances in science, engineering, and technology to promote the quality of life and independent living of people with cognitive disabilities. Over 28 million people in the U.S. alone are affected by impaired cognitive function such as intellectual disabilities, brain injury, Alzheimer's disease, stroke, and serious, persistent mental illness. An estimated 350,000 persons in Colorado have cognitive disabilities.

Brain injury, as is prone to occur, is yet another angle where this department has something to offer.

I would make a distinction between (a) legit LD and (b) people who never gave a ***** about academics and are not very bright to begin with. I think group "b" is large and "a" is small.

Muhammad Ali
Bruce Jenner
Magic Johnson
Nolan Ryan
Rex Ryan, Coach.

Sorry just came across as insensitive. Yeah, plenty of people have learning disabilities and a wide range. There's programs for GT people with disabilities.

It is embarrassing at times, but in no way would I equate it with other mental handicaps. Not being able to identify issues with your spelling and issues concerning reading are vastly different then cognitive dysfunction that is readily visible physically and in speech patterns. Most people don't even know I have an issue. It is only when you attempt to read my writing or when I attempt to do stuff on a site like this that it comes out.​
The worst is reading or transcribing long numbers.

Muhammad Ali
Bruce Jenner
Magic Johnson
Nolan Ryan
Rex Ryan, Coach.

Our own Malcolm Creer suffers from a LD (think it is dyslexia, to)

Our own Malcolm Creer suffers from a LD (think it is dyslexia, to)

Nice catch. Now that you mention it, I recall a story about that a while ago.

It would be interesting if CU's accommodations are just like every other university's, or if there is an advantage in attending Colorado over other P12 and other BCS schools in this regard.

its a shame CU isn't even mentioned in this article.

this just might be one of many recruiting tactics CU might use to its advantage if they could just find 5* athletes with the "right" kind of LD.

Dyslexic

As one who is dyslexic and an educator I can attest to the lack of public understanding of the condition. My particular condition means that I don't visualize words and numbers in my mind like most people can. I don't have that "blackboard" to work with.

For me this results in a couple of notable issues. One is that I cannot spell if my life depends on it. Since I don't "see" words until I have put them down and even then I don't have a reference I can look almost like I am trying to misspell words. I am one of the few people who can regularly misspell words in Spanish, a language in which 3rd graders can usually spell virtually any word without effort.

The other is that I struggle to construct words and letters in writing by hand. I can type easily but to write with pen and paper is a struggle since unlike most educated adults I have to concentrate on correctly forming the individual letters. Even then my writing is barely legible. At work I type virtually everything short of my signature and use an interactive white board and keyboard when I am instructing groups of students.

Like most dyslexics my IQ is not impacted in any way (although some would argue.) I have completed multiple fields of study with excellent transcipts for my graduate work. Surprisingly I have no problem with numbers and have always been very good at math. On the other hand don't even think I might remember your name if I meet you since I don't do the normal mental face/name association.

I did have a year of special work in 5th grade to try to help manage some of the issues. Up until that time which of course was well prior to computers being available I would commonly take a pencil in one hand and write across the page, switch the pencil to the other hand and write back the other way repeating this all the way down the page. Looked perfectly normal to me. I could also write a half a page with one hand and when that hand got tired switch to the other hand for the other half page writting equally bad with either hand.

As a teacher I can say that there are a certain number of kids who have various learning disabilities who are of normal or higher intelligence who come across as lazy or dissinterested when it is actually a struggle for them to read or more often write so they just give up or resist.

Dyslexic

As one who is dyslexic and an educator I can attest to the lack of public understanding of the condition. My particular condition means that I don't visualize words and numbers in my mind like most people can. I don't have that "blackboard" to work with.

For me this results in a couple of notable issues. One is that I cannot spell if my life depends on it. Since I don't "see" words until I have put them down and even then I don't have a reference I can look almost like I am trying to misspell words. I am one of the few people who can regularly misspell words in Spanish, a language in which 3rd graders can usually spell virtually any word without effort.

The other is that I struggle to construct words and letters in writing by hand. I can type easily but to write with pen and paper is a struggle since unlike most educated adults I have to concentrate on correctly forming the individual letters. Even then my writing is barely legible. At work I type virtually everything short of my signature and use an interactive white board and keyboard when I am instructing groups of students.

Like most dyslexics my IQ is not impacted in any way (although some would argue.) I have completed multiple fields of study with excellent transcipts for my graduate work. Surprisingly I have no problem with numbers and have always been very good at math. On the other hand don't even think I might remember your name if I meet you since I don't do the normal mental face/name association.

I did have a year of special work in 5th grade to try to help manage some of the issues. Up until that time which of course was well prior to computers being available I would commonly take a pencil in one hand and write across the page, switch the pencil to the other hand and write back the other way repeating this all the way down the page. Looked perfectly normal to me. I could also write a half a page with one hand and when that hand got tired switch to the other hand for the other half page writting equally bad with either hand.

As a teacher I can say that there are a certain number of kids who have various learning disabilities who are of normal or higher intelligence who come across as lazy or dissinterested when it is actually a struggle for them to read or more often write so they just give up or resist.

FIFY

Only a few spelling mistakes.

Back