What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Calm before the storm

Duff Man

Club Member
Club Member
Junta Member
For those of you anxiously waiting for recruiting news, it's coming:

March 2nd-3rd: Las Vegas New Level Athletics 7-on-7
March 9th: Junior Day
March 9th: Phoenix Rivals Camp
March 10th: LA Rivals Camp
March 10th: LA Nike Camp
April 13th: Spring Game/Junior Day
April 15th-May 31st: Spring Evaluation Period

I think that we have a logjam at QB right now that will make it difficult to recruit a blue chip QB this cycle.

With Liufau and Dillon on board, I'd like to see our staff look for a good all around athlete at the QB spot. A kid who could play multiple positions if needed. The prototypical pocket passers will be tough to land, but maybe we can find that great athletic QB to come here.

With Liufau and Dillon on board, I'd like to see our staff look for a good all around athlete at the QB spot. A kid who could play multiple positions if needed. The prototypical pocket passers will be tough to land, but maybe we can find that great athletic QB to come here.

Doesnt that describe Sefo to a T?

I think you are going to see QB recruiting play out a bit slower this recruiting cycle, especially out West. Seems to me it is a year with few can't-miss prospects, but fairly deep overall. I think schools are going to be cautious with offers.

As far as our situation, the depth chart will look different in a few months. Coaches know it, players know it, and recruits will know it.

At the end of the day, we need another quality QB in this class. Dillon and Liufau in consecutive years is not enough.

I've read that Sefo could play TE, but that's it. Maybe not, that's what I remember. I'm more referring to a kid who can run in the 4.4 to 4.5 range and play WR or DB.

Sefo also had a 20 pt 22 board night for his basketball team before signing day.

At the end of the day, we need another quality QB in this class. Dillon and Liufau in consecutive years is not enough.
Agreed. Gotta bring in 1 quality qb every class. All good programs do that and some take 2 but I don´t think that´s a good idea unless one is a likelihood to switch positions.

Either way, I'm much more concerned with our defensive recruiting, mainly the front 7.

I think you are going to see QB recruiting play out a bit slower this recruiting cycle, especially out West. Seems to me it is a year with few can't-miss prospects, but fairly deep overall. I think schools are going to be cautious with offers.

As far as our situation, the depth chart will look different in a few months. Coaches know it, players know it, and recruits will know it.

This is exactly correct. We have a logjam this spring, but I think that will take care of itself real soon. This offense requires a QB who can make quick & accurate throws. I'll leave it at that. I think Dillon gets the opportunity to take it from here. It's the perfect time for a coach to break in his QB of the future, assuming he has the goods.

And I don't see them recruiting QBs who can fall back to other positions. They are going for guys that can play QB first and foremost.

I would like to see us get to the point where we are taking a quality QB in each class. Top flight programs can and do draw a QB in every class. That keeps you from getting in the situation where we have been the last several years where we have taken lightly recruited guys or transfers that either cannot break the starting line up at other schools or are a reach from a talent standpoint. The Hawk hangover put us in a desperate situation where we took guys we never should have. One quality recruit per class cures the issues we currently have at CU. Quality QBs are not afraid of competition.

Forgot to add a big event taking place this weekend-the Las Vegas New Level Athletics 7-on-7 tournament.

There is no logjam at Quartback. Just the opposite...we don't have an identified QB. Top players do not avoid schools because of competition, the Top Schools sign top players every year. You have to take a QB every cycle just to have two or three at the end of the day. We are still paying for the Cody Hawkins experiment IMO. When Embree got here they had a Senior (Hansen) and a RS - Freshman. No numbers at all. Getting Dillion and Sefo recruited was a step in the right direction. The reason we got so many bodies in at the position was to try to fill the gap but unfortunately most of them did not work out.

There is no logjam at Quartback. Just the opposite...we don't have an identified QB. Top players do not avoid schools because of competition, the Top Schools sign top players every year. You have to take a QB every cycle just to have two or three at the end of the day. We are still paying for the Cody Hawkins experiment IMO. When Embree got here they had a Senior (Hansen) and a RS - Freshman. No numbers at all. Getting Dillion and Sefo recruited was a step in the right direction. The reason we got so many bodies in at the position was to try to fill the gap but unfortunately most of them did not work out.
No there's a logjam, it's just a logjam of deadweight

We are playing semantics with the QB situation. No matter what you want to call it, 6-7 scholarship QBs is stupid. And while agree the top QBs are not afraid of competition, they might begin to wonder about a coaching staff's ability to develop QBs if we continue to have a crazy amount of QBs on the roster and not one of them looks any good on the field.

Well the story I read yesterday about another QB that is walking on 6'1" like 190... Dual threat kid. Talk about log jam. I can not find the article now. There also was a 6'5" receiver considering walking on and a kicker/punter... anyone else see or read this? maybe it was a dream? All three kids from California..

Last edited:
Well the story I read yesterday about another QB that is walking on 6'1" like 190... Dual threat kid. Talk about log jam. I can not find the article now. There also was a 6'5" receiver considering walking on and a kicker/punter... anyone else see or read this? maybe it was a dream? All three kids were from California..

Barzil

Also added two big camps in Phoenix and LA the weekend of March 9-10 being put on by Rivals. Lots of top end talent will be at those camps, including CO kids Kalen Ballage and Avery Anderson at the Phoenix camp.

So our March 9th JR day is coming up. Hopefully we get a commit or two. What goes on at a JR day anyway?

Usually a tour of the campus, meeting with academic support staff, and of course the football coaches. Junior days are a great opportunity for prospects to meet coaches face to face, especially MacIntyre since a head coach is severely limited in off-campus contact. Also nice for the school because the school is not paying for the visit and they get to size up players (without physically measuring).

Usually a tour of the campus, meeting with academic support staff, and of course the football coaches. Junior days are a great opportunity for prospects to meet coaches face to face, especially MacIntyre since a head coach is severely limited in off-campus contact. Also nice for the school because the school is not paying for the visit and they get to size up players (without physically measuring).

Speaking of "physically measuring", what limitations have been on the coaches since January heading into Spring ball. I know there's no organized practices.

For example, I'd assume the playbooks are out and the QB coach has met with the QBs to watch film, to learn the offense.
The QBs are certainly doing drills and working out getting ready. They have to be on a throwing regimen just like pitchers coming into Spring Ball.
Assuming these are indoors, are they taped? Can the QB coach watch them? Can he correct things he sees such as a drill not being done right or improper footwork? Does this allow for any evaluation at all? Or is Thursday literally the first time he's seen them other than game/practice footage from before?

I know it's supposedly an even field come Thursday but 6 QBs? They are going to want to start working with the best few quickly. I know when I played baseball, we had 60+ walkon's the first day and coach cut 55 or so of them on day 1. Literally, I'm not sure he saw a few kids do more than trot over towards the dugout and he cut them.

Coaches are allowed to watch players in drills and look at transcripts during the Spring Evaluation period. Then you have the camps put on by schools that allow recruits to be measured and put through drills (good guess the coaches will ask some Junior Day invitees to camp at CU). Pretty sure the coaches are prohibited from working out recruits any other time, including on official visits in the fall.

Coaches are allowed to watch players in drills and look at transcripts during the Spring Evaluation period. Then you have the camps put on by schools that allow recruits to be measured and put through drills (good guess the coaches will ask some Junior Day invitees to camp at CU). Pretty sure the coaches are prohibited from working out recruits any other time, including on official visits in the fall.

My question above pertained to guys who are already enrolled at CU. Sorry I wasn't more clear. Wondering how much information they have going into Thursday in terms of who's capable of what.

Back