What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Cal's shockingly low athletic admission standards

We had a prior thread about the custom built major built for Cal athletes to allow them to stay eligible while taking the easiest classes from a variety of different subject areas at Cal.

Despite this, and no question that Cal has set their standards as low as they can get away with, this strikes me as similar to the "anti-athletic" stuff that has occasionally come out of the academic elitist in Boulder who detest the idea that the public pays more attention to athletic teams than to their published research about Emily Dickenson's use of semi-colins or the societal implications of artificial colors in hot dogs.

These people somehow seem to come out of the woodwork at the opportune moments when programs are down. They would rather make less money and have fewer resources than have what they do with a football coach making more than they do.

Cal is in a hole right now with their football program. They should be very carefull to make sure that these people don't get the chance to put them in the kind of situation that we were that makes it that much harder to come back.

We had a prior thread about the custom built major built for Cal athletes to allow them to stay eligible while taking the easiest classes from a variety of different subject areas at Cal.

Despite this, and no question that Cal has set their standards as low as they can get away with, this strikes me as similar to the "anti-athletic" stuff that has occasionally come out of the academic elitist in Boulder who detest the idea that the public pays more attention to athletic teams than to their published research about Emily Dickenson's use of semi-colins or the societal implications of artificial colors in hot dogs.

These people somehow seem to come out of the woodwork at the opportune moments when programs are down. They would rather make less money and have fewer resources than have what they do with a football coach making more than they do.

Cal is in a hole right now with their football program. They should be very carefull to make sure that these people don't get the chance to put them in the kind of situation that we were that makes it that much harder to come back.

I'm not sure what a semi-colin is, but if he didn't mind being used by Emily Dickenson, I don't see why it's really worthy of study, frankly....

This is an old hit piece. I'm surprised our new cloven hooved overlords in Boulder are just discovering it.

www.bearinsider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79104

we'd lost our bullying mojo so we're a little rusty at this stuff. don't worry, your inauspicious academic compromises (which make me jealous, actually) will be long forgotten once usc has their way with us.

the trojans are like the fuskers of the p12, except with ever-so-slightly higher IQs.

we'd lost our bullying mojo so we're a little rusty at this stuff. don't worry, your inauspicious academic compromises (which make me jealous, actually) will be long forgotten once usc has their way with us.

the trojans are like the fuskers of the p12, except with ever-so-slightly higher IQs.

And much better looking cheerleaders, thanks to the availability of quality plastic surgeons.

We've all seen this movie. It doesn't end well for Cal. They better find some folks with a backbone and fast. All this bullsh*t about holding symposiums to discuss the role of athletics at the university is nothing more than an excuse to come up with ways to gut their athletic department. They don't hold symposiums at Texas. Worse yet, they don't hold symposiums at Stanford.

We've all seen this movie. It doesn't end well for Cal. They better find some folks with a backbone and fast. All this bullsh*t about holding symposiums to discuss the role of athletics at the university is nothing more than an excuse to come up with ways to gut their athletic department. They don't hold symposiums at Texas. Worse yet, they don't hold symposiums at Stanford.

To be fair, I'm pretty sure they can't even spell symposiums at Texas....

This particular passage from the article caught my eye:

Stanford serves as the perfect example of an even higher quality academic institution that has found a way to win without compromising its standards.

a victory lap?

around.your.mummsy?

:lol:

i can't stop. i can't stop. aiyeeeeeeeeeeeeee! it is like i have an addiction. to sno's mummsy!

more mummsy! more!
It is fun watching you continue your deterioration into dementia.

"i may be going to hell in a bucket, but 'least i'm enjoying the ride."

on.your.mummsy.

it is like they write themselves.

Pretty sure between Ralph's sis and my mom, you've ridden this joke too hard and well into the ground. A feat that would no doubt surprise both of your favorite subjects.

Pretty sure between Ralph's sis and my mom, you've ridden this joke too hard and well into the ground. A feat that would no doubt surprise both of your favorite subjects.

firstly, it is philby's sister. i don't know ralph's sister.

second, who said they were my favorites?

third, actually, i agree. i may have to stop. stay tuned for that. it may happen any day now.

firstly, it is philby's sister. i don't know ralph's sister.

second, who said they were my favorites?

third, actually, i agree. i may have to stop. stay tuned for that. it may happen any day now.
Next you will stop using the word "collectivists." Believe it when I see it :lol:.

This particular passage from the article caught my eye:

Doesn't Standford allow add drops to basically the end of the semester. It is weird to see a school engaged in the success if a student versus looking at them as a paycheck.

Doesn't Standford allow add drops to basically the end of the semester. It is weird to see a school engaged in the success if a student versus looking at them as a paycheck.

I don't know. I just quote the articles.

But Stanford has the luxury of looking at students as something other than a tuition payment, and I agree it's refreshing.

Stanford has a lot of advantages that Cal doesn't have, though.

It's near endless list, but it starts with quality faculty, a sterling reputation and exceedingly high admission standards. They produce the best because they start with the best.

This is why the PAC invited CU in the first place - to raise the academic standing of the conference to help offset the weaker institutions like Wazzu and Cal.

It's near endless list, but it starts with quality faculty, a sterling reputation and exceedingly high admission standards. They produce the best because they start with the best.

Stanford can recruit nationally because it's a private school. Are the academics really that much different at Cal vs Stanford? Doubtful. Their brand can recruit nationally, much like a Northwestern or Vandy or Duke or ND, but even moreso.

From buddies that have gone to both, it's harder to get into Stanford, but much easier to graduate and graduate with a high GPA there. Cal grads are happy if they graduate with a 3.0 average. It can be brutal there.

Stanford can recruit nationally because it's a private school. Are the academics really that much different at Cal vs Stanford? Doubtful. Their brand can recruit nationally, much like a Northwestern or Vandy or Duke or ND, but even moreso.

From buddies that have gone to both, it's harder to get into Stanford, but much easier to graduate and graduate with a high GPA there. Cal grads are happy if they graduate with a 3.0 average. It can be brutal there.

You're not doing it right.

Semper Gumby

Back