What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Carroll has reached an "agreement in principle" with Seattle

What kind of domino effect may this have on recruiting? Any?

Hard to know for sure, but I'd suspect that just about every one of their recruits is now looking at his options. At the very least, they'll all want to know who the new guy is going to be. If there are wholesale changes made to the staff, it could be disastrous for USC. Jeez, that would be too bad.

I'd feel better about our chances at getting a few of these players if Hawkins weren't in such a precarious position himself. It's not like these kids want to go into another situation where the coaching staff is in question.

But let's say some USC recruits drop back to UCLA, or Cal, or OU or wherever... aren't those programs pretty full? So they will have to bump some recruits, etc.

But let's say some USC recruits drop back to UCLA, or Cal, or OU or wherever... aren't those programs pretty full? So they will have to bump some recruits, etc.

Depending on the quality of the kid walking away form USC and towards an OU or UF I'd say the new recipient will make room by kicking out the kid at the bottom of the class or asking them to gray shirt.

We will not get in on any of these kids.

Depending on the quality of the kid walking away form USC and towards an OU or UF I'd say the new recipient will make room by kicking out the kid at the bottom of the class or asking them to gray shirt.

We will not get in on any of these kids.
:lalala:

Over the Holidays, the NFL ran a bunch of Top 10 shows, Top 10 weather games, Top 10 Draft Busts, etc. One of them was Top 10 college coaches who busted in the NFL. Pete Carroll was on that list. (Bobby Petrino was number one). It is funny the NFL network has now removed that list from its site.

Over the Holidays, the NFL ran a bunch of Top 10 shows, Top 10 weather games, Top 10 Draft Busts, etc. One of them was Top 10 college coaches who busted in the NFL. Pete Carroll was on that list. (Bobby Petrino was number one). It is funny the NFL network has now removed that list from its site.

The thing is, Carroll wasn't a complete failure as a NFL coach. I think a better list would be the top 10 NFL coaches who were busts at the college level. Sherman, Callahan, Wandstedt (although he seems to be improving), Weiss, Kiffin (jury still out), Fairbanks... For every Saban and Carroll, it seems to me that there a ton of epic failures.

Jack Del Rio sounds interested and the rumored staff (if true) is pretty damn good.

fwiw, sporting news had an article recently that said something like the last 8 college coaches hired to be nfl head coaches failed miserably.

also, fairbanks was a very successful college hc at ou before he went to new england and before he returned to to college to fail miserably at CU.

carroll is a good coach and he's taking bates with him--- i think that he has a decent chance to do well at seattle.

Just a thought....but I read something today about the NCAA finishing up their investigation/probe on alleged football recruiting & other violations @ USC. Supposed to meet with the school in February to release information & any sanctions/punishments....I wonder if this may have anything to do with why Carrol wanted to leave? Possible imminent dooooooom on the horizon?

The thing is, Carroll wasn't a complete failure as a NFL coach. I think a better list would be the top 10 NFL coaches who were busts at the college level. Sherman, Callahan, Wandstedt (although he seems to be improving), Weiss, Kiffin (jury still out), Fairbanks... For every Saban and Carroll, it seems to me that there a ton of epic failures.

Faribanks actually was a successful college coach before he went to the NFL - winning several Big 8 titles and going 11-1 twice during his tenure. He was just a bust at Colorado. I don't think you can label Sherman a bust yet...

Anyway, it was not my list, it was the NFL Networks, other names I remember were Bud Wilkinson, John McKay, Spurrier - the point they made with Carroll (and some others) were that the rah rah stuff doesn't work at the NFL level. In college, it is usually all about the coach - in the NFL it is all about the players.

Just a thought....but I read something today about the NCAA finishing up their investigation/probe on alleged football recruiting & other violations @ USC. Supposed to meet with the school in February to release information & any sanctions/punishments....I wonder if this may have anything to do with why Carrol wanted to leave? Possible imminent dooooooom on the horizon?

That was bandied about, Carroll says absolutely not, but what else would you expect him to say.

If there are any serious sanctions/penalties that is completely ****ed up. Not for USC, just college football in general. Every coaches contract should have a payback clause if their recruiting or handling of student athletes during their tenure result in loss of scholarships for future years that they aren't coaching for. No more Slick Rick's without them at least paying the piper after they leave.

That was bandied about, Carroll says absolutely not, but what else would you expect him to say.

If there are any serious sanctions/penalties that is completely ****ed up. Not for USC, just college football in general. Every coaches contract should have a payback clause if their recruiting or handling of student athletes during their tenure result in loss of scholarships for future years that they aren't coaching for. No more Slick Rick's without them at least paying the piper after they leave.

That would require schools to hire 85 nazis to follow the SA everywhere they went and to mediate every conversation and experience on behalf of the univerysity. That aint legal. These kids, trouble finds them. It sucks but thats the way it is.

Chuck Fairbanks was the OU coach between Wilkinson and Switzer. I don't think he had much to do with the success of that program.

How about Bill Walsh - his 2nd stint at Stanford after leaving the 49ers was nothing special.

Chuck Fairbanks was the OU coach between Wilkinson and Switzer. I don't think he had much to do with the success of that program.

As I recall (and yes, I'm that old), Fairbanks did well with the boomers. That's why the nfl came calling, resulting in his stint at Boston/New England (that right?). I still have no clue why he was such a cluster-fug a CU.

As I recall (and yes, I'm that old), Fairbanks did well with the boomers. That's why the nfl came calling, resulting in his stint at Boston/New England (that right?). I still have no clue why he was such a cluster-fug a CU.

He was a cluster fug at CU for much the same reason that Hawkins is - He was an arrogant prick who thought the world owed him something and he never took responsibility for any deficiencies. It was always somebody elses fault. There was always an excuse as to why he couldn't win.

Jack Del Rio sounds interested and the rumored staff (if true) is pretty damn good.

That's the going rumor down here - Del Rio is the prime candidate who may/may not be eager to get out of Jax. The boomers also think this gives them a better than average shot at the TE recruit out of Bishop Gorman (Las Vegas) now that Petey is gone.

That's the going rumor down here - Del Rio is the prime candidate who may/may not be eager to get out of Jax. The boomers also think this gives them a better than average shot at the TE recruit out of Bishop Gorman (Las Vegas) now that Petey is gone.

By offering Del Rio right now, USC has put him in a tough spot. If he accepts the job and quits in Jacksonville, he forfeits the $15 million he'd be due if fired. With the USC offer on the table, Jacksonville can sit back and see if Del Rio accepts the job. Why fire someone and owe them $15 million when there is a real possibility the coach will leave on his own? Considering signing day is in a few weeks, Jacksonville knows he'd had to make his decision soon.

Tenuta for DC was the latest rumor I heard.

Reports are out there now that Del Rio has actually been offered a contract.

Grimble is looking at UCLA, LSU, and Miami. I do not think OU is an option anymore.

Actually you forgot Gomer Jones and Jim Mckenzie who were the 2 coaches at OU immediately after Wilkinson - Jones went 6-4 and 3-7, McKenzie went 6-4 but died unexpectedly. Fairbanks was there 6 years so at the end he was 9 years removed from Bud Wilkinson. I think he deserves a little credit.

Actually you forgot Gomer Jones and Jim Mckenzie who were the 2 coaches at OU immediately after Wilkinson - Jones went 6-4 and 3-7, McKenzie went 6-4 but died unexpectedly. Fairbanks was there 6 years so at the end he was 9 years removed from Bud Wilkinson. I think he deserves a little credit.
OU had a coach named Gomer? Well, gooollly, who would have guessed that.:lol:

USC beat writer just posted the following:

"We hear that Jack Del Rio informed USC he will not walk away from the $15 million left on his Jacksonville contract, which could prove fatal to his candidacy."

If true.. that hurts.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure he was the coach when they played that epic turkey day game against the fuskers (1971). Same year the nubs, boomers, and CU were 1-2-3 in the final polls.

Back