1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CBS Critical Coaches Series: "Who's the Biggest Cheater?"

Discussion in 'Colorado Basketball Message Board' started by Goose, Aug 10, 2012.

1. Goose

Goose Hoops Moderator Club Member Junta Member

CBS is doing a cool series where they interview coaches and ask them a bunch of questions. We've seen overrated coaches, underrated, is World Wide Wes that big of an influence, etc.. Today? Who cheats? Calipari is #1, which surprised me a little bit, just because of who's #2.

Scott Drew.

How the hell he didn't win is beyond me. Here's your money quote:

It's an interesting read (and UCLA's Ben Howland is on the list too), but ultimately, I think this one sums it up best:

2. BuffaloSoldier76

BuffaloSoldier76 Unsound Meat Club Member

If you don't think Scott Drew has cheated or worked the system in grey areas to get Baylor to where it is, you haven't been paying attention. Calipari I assume is more clean than dirty now since he has a resume to back up what kind of coach he is (if you disregard the vacated final fours) and is at a traditional power school. I just don't think he needs to cheat as much as he used to.

Something is certainly fishy with Drew and Baylor. Didn't that program JUST get off probation in 2010 for all the murder/drugs/payments/recruiting violations? Let's not forget that Baylor is not exactly a historical power in basketball, so they weren't rebuilding a once proud tradition or anything.

3. JJBuff

JJBuff Club Member Club Member

**** baylor.

4. GoBuffs!!

GoBuffs!! Active Member

A co-worker of mine said his kid was going to bailor next year. Started talking about the charleston classic and possibly playing CU.

He said - "Its pretty unlikely that CU will beat bailor"
    I said - "I just hope they dont kill us"

I dont think he got the joke

FLounder likes this.
  5. FLounder

FLounder The Buffs will rise again! Club Member

hahahah. rep

6. CarolinaBuff

CarolinaBuff Weekend Poster Club Member

I just like that they voted crybaby as the most over-rated coach. :lol:

7. Mick Ronson

Mick Ronson Well-Known Member

Drew has been rumored dirty for years on the old Big XII UT, ATM, OU, OSU boards.

he and Rick Barnes had a public i dare you to out me moment in about 2007 where it was mutually assured destruction. i hate Texas, but i sorta like Barnes for some reason so i was hoping....

Calipari shouldn't surprise anyone.

funny thing though, my step-dad used to be on a legal team that accompanied Kelvin Sampson to NCAA meetings for Oklahoma. he would come back from these "ethics" committee meetings that Kelv was a part of saying that everyone thought Billy Donovan was the biggest cheater around. hey, and a couple years later, Sampson has OU on probation!

Last edited: Aug 11, 2012
  8. Mick Ronson

Mick Ronson Well-Known Member

dave rice has been the coach at UNLV for exactly one year. hard to think he's got an elaborate cheating regime in place.

9. MtnBuff

MtnBuff Not allowed in Barzil 2 Club Member

Bailer has a culture where cheating is expected of their coaches. They have a complex where they believe that they are being held down by the other schools including UT and aTm and that cheating is just a way to balance things out. They also justify it by thinking that they are doing "missionary" work and having winning teams justifies how they get there because of the value of the end result. They also know that winning games means more money for the university and again it is justifiable to them.

This isn't any different than the mentality that got SMU the death penalty but Bailer doesn't believe it will apply to them because they are them and their political connections will protect them.