1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Certain things said today got me thinking.

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by GBL, Nov 9, 2010.

1. GBL

GBL Club Member Club Member

Aug 27, 2005
    Hey...long time lurker, once in awhile poster...

All of this talk about the negativity around Hawk and the program and (maybe I am reaching here) EXTREMELY pissed off fans, along with the wide known fact that CU's admin is always academics first...

Do you think this whole debacle might have opened up the powers that be's eyes that the donors and alumn want football to be a consideration, too? A HUGE ONE? Do you think the uproar the fans made might help in making a change in the importance of football at this university? Or, do you think we will be dealing with this until new people are put in place? Or will this always be an issue?
  2. Liver

Liver modded mod Club Member Junta Member

Jul 8, 2005
    I think it has helped to focus their attention on the fact that successful athletics are big value drivers for a school in terms of fundraising and connection to the school and admission levels.
  3. GoldenBuff

GoldenBuff Club Member Club Member

Dec 9, 2007
    I think the powers that be are starting to realize how important a pr force football can be. I think that it took seeing things go almost as far south as they could possibly go to open their eyes though. I think the increased contribution to the athletics budget is evidence of that, as is this mid-season firing of Hawkins. I'm not sure if you guys caught it in the press conference but Bohn specifically mentioned a permanent indoor facility as a priority. Before that though, he took a more big picture view and said that we'd invested quite a bit in basketball and volleyball recently with the hiring of new coaches and the practice facility and all of that. Now, he said, we're going to focus on football. I think things are going to change a lot in the next few years and that it's going to be for the better.
  4. buffaholic

buffaholic Club Member Club Member

Oct 5, 2008
    Comparing themselves to Stanford, Cal, UCLA will open eyes.