What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Cheer up folks

Weak excuse IMO - no matter what offense we run, we still need players who can throw, block, catch, and run fast - we are severely lacking in all these areas. And by the way, all these players who were recruited to run a different offense - they sucked at that offense too.

Yeah they did and now it's worse because very few should be playing on a BCS team and the staff is installing a new offense with players who can't execute it. Next year will be better but this **** ****ing sucks right now.

Pledge Allegiance to the Swag

I do not expect a top 15 class, sorry if my post was not clearer. I was trying to point out to MtnBuff that he brings up that mythical expectation pretty much every time this topic comes up and no one on Allbuffs has said anything of the sort.

My expectation for the 2012 class continues to be a top 30-35 class.

Been away from the board most of the day as I will be the next few days.

Top 30-35 classes are reasonable to expect, at least top 40 and close to middle of the PAC for the next couple of years.

Beyond that 3-5 years out, once they have had time to establish recruiting networks and camp relationships, and should have an identity established on the field and in the locker room then it would be reasonable to expect them to move up into the 20's which is the level of talent needed at a minimum if you are hoping to have a consistent shot at going to a conference championship game.

Understand that I have no problem with holding the coaches and the program to reasonable benchmarks and expecting to see quantifiable progress. We had enough of the feel good, karma and coconuts crap with Hawkins. That is what got us into this mess we are in right now.

My only argument is that we have a right to expect reasonable progress and legitimate evidence of that. This means recruits that for the most part coaches other than our own think can play at this level. This means competing in the games on the field against schools that have similar talent to ours on a consistent basis. This means looking like and acting like a major college football team.

As bad as the situation was for Embree and company coming into this year I am okay with the progress I have seen so far. I am optimistic based on the commits we have so far and hope for (and expect at least one or two) pleasant surprises in recruiting before LOI day. On the field we are still undisciplined and lack heart but at least we can get a play in and get lined up without 3-5 delay of game penalties and illegal formation penalties.

My recruiting benchmark for this year is a little lower than yours but not much, next year I would expect both of us to move it a step us. I also expect to see a more productive off-season and to see progress on the field next year in terms of wins and in terms of competitiveness in the games we don't win.

I do believe that some people here have unreasonable expectations of Embree and Co. at this time. At no time do I say that we shouldn't have expectations, only that even with our frustrations those expectations should be reasonable in light of the time frame and situation.

If we are not reaching benchmarks and we don't have a significantly better program 2 years from now, don't waste time like we did last time, make the change.

It would be wrong to place blame on the CU fans who have done their part buying tickets, attending road games, and showing interest a program that has been residing in the cellar of the conferences.

It's also misguided to place blame on just Hawk or Embree.

The culture of complacency starts with Benson, the regents, DiStephano and Bohn. The foundation for a winning culture has to be lead from the top.

It's clear that the CU fans are hungry for a winning program and will support those who are committed to getting CU back to the promised land.

How do you think CU's administration would receive the suggestion that the win-loss record of the football team is a core element of their job responsibilities? A university is an academic institution before it is anything else. My suspicion is that, truth be told, they could probably do without the entire thing. We all love football here -- more than most -- but I don't think it's fair to propose that the chancellor and president of the university need to devote all-that-much attention to it.

How do you think CU's administration would receive the suggestion that the win-loss record of the football team is a core element of their job responsibilities? A university is an academic institution before it is anything else. My suspicion is that, truth be told, they could probably do without the entire thing. We all love football here -- more than most -- but I don't think it's fair to propose that the chancellor and president of the university need to devote all-that-much attention to it.
SO then you're okay with being terrible? Nice.

I'll respond with this video depicting how CU's admin treated the CU athletic department (and fans) during the Big 12 era, when everyone but CU was engaged in an athletic facility arms race. The point when Hawkens was given year five is fairly obvious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQ_7GtE529M&feature=youtube_gdata_player

In closing, your suspicion is consistent with what happened and where the program is today.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll respond with this video depicting how CU's admin treated the CU athletic department (and fans) during the Big 12 era, when everyone but CU was engaged in an athletic facility arms race. The point when Hawkens was given year five is fairly obvious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQ_7GtE529M&feature=youtube_gdata_player

In closing, your suspicion is consistent with what happened and where the program is today.

Holy ****! Rep to you for the video, which stands on its own, but is even more remarkable as a metaphor (or is it a simile, since there are actually buffalo involved?).

Wow!

Back