What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Chiaverini and Leavitt

From what I understand, it is a little more than that. Lance Carl is pretty much AD for football to discuss things with HCMM on a constant basis. Within that, it appears to be a collaborative effort on strategic planning for the program with HCMM having the ultimate authority and responsibility for his staff (as it should be, since HCMM is the guy -- not Carl or George -- who will get fired if the team fails to win). The AD is engaged, but it's supportive rather than dictatorial. That is a healthy setup. What some people assume is going on or wish was going on (i.e., HCMM being a figurehead who is being told who to hire and fire) would be an absolutely horrible way to run an athletic department. If that was going on, RG would need to be fired.
And I guess this is what I was trying to get at. The AD should be assisting HCMM in any way it can, but the decisions should be ultimately coming down to the HC.

The talk I remember was that Lance Carl had been a big reason we got Chev here more than anything.

It was suggested that Chev be interviewed when Walters got the job at UCF. Groundwork had been laid earlier when Chev visited Boulder with his son doing an unofficial visit the previous summer. During that visit, Chev and HCMM had an opportunity to get to know each other.

It just cracks me up that people put all of this pressure on Mac (myself included) to win his first game or else he should be fired. He then goes out and puts the worst beating on CSU in what 40 years? and now fans have to make other excuses of why he should be gone. Now it's, RG and Carl are actually responsible for the changes.

It just cracks me up that people put all of this pressure on Mac (myself included) to win his first game or else he should be fired. He then goes out and puts the worst beating on CSU in what 40 years? and now fans have to make other excuses of why he should be gone. Now it's, RG and Carl are actually responsible for the changes.
Some people have already made up their minds about HCMM. Nothing is going to change it. So any type of success that he may experience this year is not his doing.

I'm going to wait until mid season before I start wringing my hands about how we keep the staff together.
Hawk would have brought up the contract extensions in the post game press conference!

From what I understand, it is a little more than that. Lance Carl is pretty much AD for football to discuss things with HCMM on a constant basis. Within that, it appears to be a collaborative effort on strategic planning for the program with HCMM having the ultimate authority and responsibility for his staff (as it should be, since HCMM is the guy -- not Carl or George -- who will get fired if the team fails to win). The AD is engaged, but it's supportive rather than dictatorial. That is a healthy setup. What some people assume is going on or wish was going on (i.e., HCMM being a figurehead who is being told who to hire and fire) would be an absolutely horrible way to run an athletic department. If that was going on, RG would need to be fired.
I believe to a degree some of us are thinking back to Mac's coaching tree, we get some good press and we become concerned which is a by product of having been down for 10 yrs. We all know that the HC's head is on the chopping block as being ultimately responsible. We've all seen coaching changes in the past where certain assistants are retained by the next HC. RG is and will continue to be in a position of rebuild until CU is successful on the field, regains respectability in the public's eyes and last puts butts in the seats.

Some people have already made up their minds about HCMM. Nothing is going to change it. So any type of success that he may experience this year is not his doing.

After 3.5 years one would think there would be some strong opinions. Took about the same amount of time for Hawk

I think most people said they wanted to see a bowl game or he should be fired. I am in this group. However this first game was seen as a must win as, most likely, you were not getting to six wins without beating CSU.

If MikeMac finishes with a good season (one game against a poor CSU team doesn't mean much), I assume he will be a hot coaching candidate out there. The good news is we have great facilities and support now, so we should be able to attract talent (or be competitive in trying to retain any existing coaches).

You reward your head coach for rebuilding a team. A process that has taken 4 years, in which the DC has only been a part of it for 2. The HC gets the credit. Always.

Do you? Oregon pushed out Belotti in favor of OC Chip Kelly, who had only been there 2 years, and unlike Leavitt had zero track record as a HC. And that was on the back of a 10-3 season where they finished the season ranked in the Top 10.

Do you? Oregon pushed out Belotti in favor of OC Chip Kelly, who had only been there 2 years, and unlike Leavitt had zero track record as a HC. And that was on the back of a 10-3 season where they finished the season ranked in the Top 10.
Don't be so logical

I open AllBuffs first every morning, it's a site where I don't get fed a steady diet of media BS. All of the forums are well done in the information they provide...salute. Views and opinions of all vary and with them comes food for thought, how they're conveyed/received is sometimes a different story. I don't have to agree 100% with one opinion or another but always read and try to be open minded, makes things a little more enjoyable. In the end we all would like to see the same thing and the start of a new season brings me hope that I may live long enough to revisit what we have enjoyed in the past. 44 yrs and counting.
The best Thursday I've had in years.

That was a great point. Very different circumstance (Knight loved Kelly and he gets what he wants). An exception to the rule, too. Usually schools keep the HC and end up having the coordinator hired away. But there's no doubt that in that case it worked out for Oregon.

Look at University of Wisconsin and Barry Alvarez as the AD for an example of what happens with the AD is micromanaging the football program. 2 head coaches have jumped at opportunities to leave to situations that most would have considered downgrades from UW's status at the time since Barry became the AD.

Look at University of Wisconsin and Barry Alvarez as the AD for an example of what happens with the AD is micromanaging the football program. 2 head coaches have jumped at opportunities to leave to situations that most would have considered downgrades from UW's status at the time since Barry became the AD.

Carried over to their basketball program, too, where the HC had to pull some shenanigans with his retirement (moving it to an in-season change) so that his long-time chief assistant would get an opportunity to take the reins as HC.

JMO one left for family reasons and the other because he didn't want to live in a shadow of previous success.

Now it becomes informative to me, many of you keep up with all of the goings on that I can't...why I read AllBuffs

Interesting thread. All of this will work itself out as the games are played. For now, we are 1-0 with a dominating first victory. I am not sure how good this team is but it is much better. Better athletes than 4 years ago. Better execution. Better play by the players. Better coaching all around. It has been a process to climb out of hell but it appears we are doing it.

We will see how the season goes and I still think we are a 6 to 7 win team. Results were good week one. Onto week 2. Go Buffs!

^^^Exactly one week in to the season and we get some righteous pub and we/I hate to say are all ready concerned about being poached. There's an old saying "what you want and what you need are usually two different things"

I've been out-spoken in support for MM on these boards; on the 'does MM keep his job' threads this summer, all of last year, even after the Hawaii game. MM is a good coach and I am not about to put him down....but JL is not a good coach, he is a special coach. He would no doubt be a better HC.

If you are purely rational and want nothing more than the best football team you retain JL even if you have to make him HC this year. If you find it dishonest to bail on MM after the very year he turns it all around, given all the ire and heat he has had to endure, then MM is your HC and you have to accept that another program is going to lure JL away and he will build for them a world-beater program.

This isn't an easy decision.

Disinformation - they both wanted to GTFO because of Barry.
Anderson left for personal reasons well documented (family), Beilema didn't fit Barry's mold let alone the fact he has a huge ego not to mention a huge pay check. I almost forgot the academic restrictions used by one as a reason/excuse.

Belotti was good, but Kelly was special and everyone knew it. Darron Thomas was a good QB that left, because he knew that red shirt freshman named Mariota was a special player. Just like we know JL is special. The difference though is that Belotti didn't have to first dig a program out of ten years of self-inflicted death sentence before handing over the keys.

Last edited:
Anderson left for personal reasons well documented (family), Beilema didn't fit Barry's mold let alone the fact he has a huge ego not to mention a huge pay check. I almost forgot the academic restrictions used by one as a reason/excuse.
That's funny because what I heard him say was.
1.Wanted to get back west
2. Loves working with poly kids, and Wisconsin wouldn't work with him to get kids in that he needed. (Barry wouldn't back him)
3. He had a hard time having every decision reviewed and challenged by the administration. (I took to mean Barry)

What did you hear about his family?

8jah is very close to where I am. JL embraces and uses tools available in this recruiting age much like Chev. MM is a good person no denying the fact. The coaching is for me the issue, up by how ever many points Montez to the best of my recollection didn't throw one pass and to what avail?
It's 12:45 my time, I figured it was happy hour in London so I started a bit early today, I still think it was weird seeing Leomiti wear #3

Back