What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Chicago Sun-Times: CU on Big Ten radar

I'd like to avoid the Big Ten, personally. I don't care for the style of play in hoops and football. I'd rather go west or stay in the Big 12. It'd be a long trip to State College.

It would not suck having the opportunity to work through the B10 roadies.

Better to be on the gravy train than off.

It's nice to be wanted, and if it helps light a fire under the Pac 10 then great, but that move would take us even farther from our alumni base on the west coast. We had a sh**load of fans at the ASU game a couple years ago and we'll have a huge turnout at Cal this year, but how many CU fans went to see the Toledo game this year?

I'm luke about this idea, but it's probably all bulls**t anyway.

My preference would be as follows:

1. Pac-12 invite
2. Big 10 invite
3. Big 12 stays as it is.
4. CU joins MWC with some other North schools.

I don't disagree there but I'd rather avoid Big Ten campuses in the fall. lol

Maybe some of them in the very late fall, or early winter, but the Big T1E1N has some great towns and campuses, which are awesome places to be for most of the conference season.

EDIT: I would still prefer a Pac-10 bid, though.

Given our market size and academics we would seem to fit the profile. However the history of the Big 10 and PAC 10 working together, and their desire for the Rose Bowl to remain a viable contest, I'd have to question whether the Big 10 would be willing to snag one of the PACs few viable expansion candidates when they have so many options. Plus an expansion with 3 western teams would stick PSU even more on an island. I also think we have a lot better shot of getting back to competitive respectability in the PAC 10 then in uber-Big 16. We're trying to get away from facilities arms race, not take it to another level.

After all is said and done, getting $25-30 million a year as a member of an even more lucrative Big Ten has real advantages to getting $10-14 million a year as part of an expanded and somewhat financially improved Pac-10. If both offers were on the table, looking east would be hard to avoid.

While CU definitely fits the Big Ten bill, and it is flattering to be desired, we'd be on even more of an island westward than PSU is eastward.

While CU definitely fits the Big Ten bill, and it is flattering to be desired, we'd be on even more of an island westward than PSU is eastward.

yeah, i've posted before that i have a couple PSU alum buddies and they both feel Penn St. has had trouble integrating into the Big Ten...and still after more than a decade feel sort of like the +1 to the group. I'd think we'd have the same problems....being completely out of the upper midwest/Chicago/Great Lakes gravitational pull.

I have a feeling that being mentioned here may a bit of a shot across the bow for more likely invitees (MU, NU, Rutgers, Pitt, Cuse, or ND) that you aren't the only game in town and you be on the clock if the offer comes, all unofficially.

Last edited:
Yes, when your comparing most of the collage towns in the B10 to places like Ames, Manhatten, stoolwater, stinklon, etc; there is no comparison. I would still prefer the P10 destinations.
Flatering article, but I can't see CU moving to the B10 for any reason.

Pac 10 does not interest me at all, mediocure schools, Thats why I would prefer the Big 12 to stay as it is, or go to the Big 10. In the Pac10 we would not have any natural rivals, and we risk falling into the ocean on every away game. At least with Big12/Big10 we could keep our Nebraska rivalry possibly.

Pac 10 does not interest me at all, mediocure schools, Thats why I would prefer the Big 12 to stay as it is, or go to the Big 10. In the Pac10 we would not have any natural rivals, and we risk falling into the ocean on every away game. At least with Big12/Big10 we could keep our Nebraska rivalry possibly.

I'm with him, PAC-10 does nothing to enhance our athletic reputation, I wouldn't mind seeing us go to the Big 10, lots of history, nice schools to visit but I don't see that happening...too far outside their geography. One things for certain, if we were to go to the Big 10 that would be a huge payout...think about it...not only would the revenue sharing more than double our income, fans at many of the Big 10 schools travel religiously...we would sell out most of our games getting more revenue and we would open a new recruiting ground...we are already recruiting heavily on the west coast and we don't really ever play there. That won't stop and could be helped by a Rose Bowl appearance or two. But it would open up Michigan, Illinois, and Ohio to us. We should be openly courting the Big 10 and be noisy about it.

this actually makes quite a bit of sense, the Big 10 have a fairly large amount of alumni in the Denver area and the Big 10 network would get a lot of eyeballs.

meh. Not interested.

Why? Don't like the money? Or just have a travel crush on Cali?

I think the fantasy of Pac 10 travel spots exceed the reality of the situation.

Arizona can be hot, hot, hot. Who wants to sit in 95+ degree weather to watch football?

SoCal is, in this case, LA. Once you've been to LA and done the whole Disneyland thing, it loses it's luster pretty quick.

NoCal. Oakland is a pit. We'll have more to say about Cal in a few more months. Stanford will be wonderful in a "they are richer than you are" kind of way.

Oregon = no beach trip. Is anyone really looking forward to flying into Portland and making the drive south to Corvallis? What does Eugene have that B10 campuses don't, better weather?

Seattle is one big traffic jam. Sure tailgating on a yacht is cool. But how many of us are going to be able to do that?

Wazzu - Pullman? Puh'lease.

The B10 locations of MadCity WI, Columbus OH, Ann Arbor MI, State College PA are legendary.
Chicago is a great town, even when it's cold. The bars inside the L are great.

Sure Minnesota, Illini, Bloomington, Indiana, Iowa City and East Lansing are blah. But for an extra $10M in revenue, that's worth it.

I just don't think it's a good fit geographically. Half the Big 10 is in the Eastern time zone for cryin out loud.

Trivia time: When was the last time CU won a game played in the Eastern time zone?

I just don't think it's a good fit geographically. Half the Big 10 is in the Eastern time zone for cryin out loud.

Trivia time: When was the last time CU won a game played in the Eastern time zone?

Miracle in Michigan.

And it's much more than just travel opportunities. As has been mentioned about a gazillion times, there are more CU alumni in California than there are in all the other Big 12 states combined. That alone is a big reason for a move to the Pac.

Miracle in Michigan.

And it's much more than just travel opportunities. As has been mentioned about a gazillion times, there are more CU alumni in California than there are in all the other Big 12 states combined. That alone is a big reason for a move to the Pac.

if memory serves, about 70% of CU alum are in Colorado. There are more Cal alum than any other state. But the number of California alumni is fewer than the sum of alumni from every other state.

California is a retirement mecca, but I'm not sure the number of California alum translates into loyal CU backers. The only data point we've unearthed is the 16,000 fans at the UCLA game many years ago. That's hardly due dilligence.

Jobs and affordable housing are slowing California's growth. Are CU graduates finding work in CA, or just moving into their parent's basements? Are yuppies with $750K morgages going to have much discretionary income to become a solid CU booster?

There are a lot of CU alums in Chicago, across the midwest, and along the East Coast who would just as soon see CU take the most conference money that the TV market can provide.

If the Pac 10 can outbid the Big 10, then westward, ho! Otherwise, hop on the B10 gravy train.

Back