What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Chicago Tribune calls CU a darkhorse for Big Ten

:rofl: Yeah, I must have missed when they won the Big East football championship and the Big East basketball championship these past 10 years..

The Big 10 isn't going to add some loser program..

But they will add a program that will bring a whole lot of TV sets their way, and unfortunately money will probably trump a program's winning tradition, or lack thereof, when it comes to conference expansion.

But they will add a program that will bring a whole lot of TV sets their way, and unfortunately money will probably trump a program's winning tradition, or lack thereof, when it comes to conference expansion.

Kind of like how Colorado and Missouri are better targets than Oklahoma and Nebraska. They're top 5 programs with much bigger overall ADs, but we're more attractive options for conferences looking to expand. The landscape has changed.

Jimmy's right about Rutgers, though. I'm not convinced that a cable company would provide the Big 10 network in the NYC area just because of Rutgers. Seriously, nobody in NYC cares about Rutgers. I don't think most of them even know where Rutgers is. We all think Denver is a Pro sports town, and it is, but it pales in comparison to NYC. That is a pro sports town from top to bottom. College basketball (St. Johns) is as close as they get to caring about college athletics.

There are more OOS CU alum in states other than California than there are in California. CU's 'natural' fit in the Pac-10 arguement is overblown IMO.

I'm okay with either the 12-Pac or the Big 10. Either location adds more variety than an other decade of B12 locations. I only wish CU were a darkhorse in an SEC discussion. That would be awesome.

Quick note on Rutgers- didn't the scarlet knights play the first collegiate football game in the history of CFB? That school has tradition.
I somewhat disagree with those who say the NYC market doesn't care about Rutgers or CFB. I know some hard core Rutgers fans. But then again I'm on the phone alot with people from New Jersey.

I bet Rutgers could find a few opponents in the Big 10 who would fill the Meadowlands if given the chance (versus Penn State, Michigan, Ohio St)

the darkhorse was awesome. i had this card (i still have it, and it doesn't have an expiration date!!!) that entitled me to any draft beer or well drink for $1.19, any night of the week. that was a well-used discount card. i had many good times in the darkhorse and learned some life lessons there too.

I had one of those cards too! I found it in a billfold that I thought I had lost 20 years ago. When I took it in the Horse a few months later and asked if they would honer it, they said No Way! Then the manager came over and asked me if he could make a copy, I said sure, for a free beer of my choice. He gave me the beer.

Little known fact about the Tribune, several of their largest shareholders kids went to CU.

Jimmy's right about Rutgers, though. I'm not convinced that a cable company would provide the Big 10 network in the NYC area just because of Rutgers. Seriously, nobody in NYC cares about Rutgers. I don't think most of them even know where Rutgers is. We all think Denver is a Pro sports town, and it is, but it pales in comparison to NYC. That is a pro sports town from top to bottom. College basketball (St. Johns) is as close as they get to caring about college athletics.

The question for the Big Ten Conference/Network folks though is:

Would Rutgers playing Michigan, Penn State, Ohio State, Wisconsin, Illinois, Iowa, etc get people excited about Rutgers football/basketball.

Just like any business it isn't necessarily about what you have done in the past, but about what capacity/potential is there. Rutgers has a pretty high potential payoff for the Big Ten.

South Florida had NO tradition but the Big East gambled on them because of their capacity for success. Of course, we are talking bigger stakes here, but the potential for success is also much higher.

Back