What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Chipper: OU To Apply For PAC 12 Membership

Based on Chips record of accuracy in the past this has about as much credibility as Hollywood wedding vows. Chip is a mouthpiece for the Texas AD who wants something to happen that will benefit them. What it is I don't know and don't care but Chip isn't a source I get worked up about.

As to OU applying for membership in the PAC, that wouldn't surprise me, if for no other reason than to get away from UT and their BS. I still believe that the PAC holds the cards to determine if and who gets in.

The superconference idea may have some momentum but I also think that as it gets closer some schools and conferences may not think its a great idea. It won't happen without all the majors agreeing to it and the more we see the more it looks like it may not be the best deal for the PAC.

My proposal would be 5 conferences of 12-14 teams. If you want a playoff you get a conference championship game then an 8 team playoff, 5 conference champs and 3 wild cards. This would result in more money overall and each conference having more control and more money per school.

10 is the best number for a conference. You play everyone every year in football and get home/home with everyone every year in hoops.

Going to 12 to get championship game money trumped that.

The reason to go from 12 to 16 is, again, championship game money. It allows for a 2-round playoff (3 games).

Pods deliver the most balanced scheduling.

10 is the best number for a conference. You play everyone every year in football and get home/home with everyone every year in hoops.

Going to 12 to get championship game money trumped that.

The reason to go from 12 to 16 is, again, championship game money. It allows for a 2-round playoff (3 games).

Pods deliver the most balanced scheduling.

Has there been any indication from the NCAA that they will allow conferences to have a 2-round playoff, as would be required if there was a four team pod format?

Just throwing this out there: What about Rice? former SWC school, so they have some football history, and a very good academic reputation (AAU member). I'd take them over TTU

Just throwing this out there: What about Rice? former SWC school, so they have some football history, and a very good academic reputation (AAU member). I'd take them over TTU

plus, i think we could beat them!

Texas seems very, very interested in getting the message that OU wants to move West out. Why?

plus, i think we could beat them!

humph. depends where we are playing boulder or houston? :lol::cry:

but, OU gets the Dallas market, Rice gets the Pac-12 into southern TX. SEC has Vandy, B1G has Northwestern, If the Pac is going to be a super-conference, we need a private school patsy like the others. :thumbsup:

humph. depends where we are playing boulder or houston? :lol::cry:

but, OU gets the Dallas market, Rice gets the Pac-12 into southern TX. SEC has Vandy, B1G has Northwestern, If the Pac is going to be a super-conference, we need a private school patsy like the others. :thumbsup:

Sta ... oh, I forgot this is 2011.

Has there been any indication from the NCAA that they will allow conferences to have a 2-round playoff, as would be required if there was a four team pod format?

They allowed a championship game when the conferences wanted to move to 12. The NCAA doesn't drive this train, it's along for the ride. If the Pac, SEC, Big 10 and ACC all want something then it's going to happen. All the leverage is with those 4 conferences. They don't have to remain members of the NCAA and without them, the NCAA does not have the resources to do everything it does for the rest of the FBS, FCS, DII and DIII. When you control the money, you're in control. The NCAA serves at the whim of the big BCS conferences.

Whatever happens - the idea of DeLoss Dodds flying to Norman to grovel at Boren's and Castaglione's feet is pretty damn funny.

Texas seems very, very interested in getting the message that OU wants to move West out. Why?

I think the reason is that it gives them an out. The writing on the wall is that the SEC is going to take either 2 or 3 teams from the ACC/Big East (maybe one from the Big 12). Big 10 is going to do something similar (3 plus Notre Dame).

That leaves the ACC pulling in the remnants of the Big East football schools that work for it and also looking to make a splash. That splash is UT, which will pair with TCU as a travel partner. ACC doesn't have equal revenue sharing and allows teams to control their own 3rd tier rights. Further, the ACC has the academic prestige that UT wants from its conference affiliation.

We'll get the superconferences and UT will be in the ACC (which might get re-named).

If the Pac, SEC, Big 10 and ACC all want something then it's going to happen. All the leverage is with those 4 conferences. They don't have to remain members of the NCAA and without them, the NCAA does not have the resources to do everything it does for the rest of the FBS, FCS, DII and DIII. When you control the money, you're in control. The NCAA serves at the whim of the big BCS conferences.

This is the only reasonable explanation for expanding. It's not a money grab - there's already plenty of that to go around. It's a power grab. A cartel of four superconferences can dictate to the NCAA what it wants and how it wants it. Still, I don't see why the Pac would need to expand to gain this kind of influence. They can have a seat at the table with a 12 school conference.

I think that is without a doubt. OU has a large fanbase in Texas

According to OU's alum site, there are 30,000 Sooners in DFW alone. That's comparable to how many CU alum there are in California's big markets...combined.

There was some speculation around here that uTerus had/is having discrete talks with the boomers in an effort to get ou to take the lead on getting both schools into a conference. Seems that uTerus knows they are on the "skyline" from the the LHN affairs.

I can see ou being proactive. Why sit around and watch the benign (B9?) conference implode around you?

There was some speculation around here that uTerus had/is having discrete talks with the boomers in an effort to get ou to take the lead on getting both schools into a conference. Seems that uTerus knows they are on the "skyline" from the the LHN affairs.

I can see ou being proactive. Why sit around and watch the benign (B9?) conference implode around you?

or better yet.

Wink, nod, and let UT twist in the wind.

Dang bandwaggoners..........LOL! Really just makes me laugh. So I guess they thought that when CU left, you didn't really leave for a reason. But now that A&M is out (although they caught alot of crap for speaking out) NOW its the thing to do?

So the assholes are going to try to leverage UT into the Pac-16, which would give OU and UT the added benefit of making Scott take Okie State and Tech. Yay. But why would OU help out the Whorns at this point? Unless this whole ****ing thing has been a charade. This **** is making into a conspiracy theorist.

I need to get a hobby.

So the assholes are going to try to leverage UT into the Pac-16, which would give OU and UT the added benefit of making Scott take Okie State and Tech. Yay. But why would OU help out the Whorns at this point? Unless this whole ****ing thing has been a charade. This **** is making into a conspiracy theorist.

I need to get a hobby.

$$$

For as much money as OU and UT make in the Big 12, they stand to make a good deal more in the Pac-16.

You could pretty much take all the money that the Big 12 got in their most recent television contract, and bring that over to the Pac-16.

So the assholes are going to try to leverage UT into the Pac-16, which would give OU and UT the added benefit of making Scott take Okie State and Tech. Yay. But why would OU help out the Whorns at this point? Unless this whole ****ing thing has been a charade. This **** is making into a conspiracy theorist. I need to get a hobby.
I'm not sure if the "tag-alongs" are a prime topic of discussion between the boomer and whorn leaders. I imagine, if all this speculation is true, that the folks on both sides are looking at various scenarios and options. They'd be stooopid not to.

This "speculation" becomes a little more believable when you consider the boomers relationship with the state of texas. Numerous alumni, heavy recruiting ties, and an annual game that has an 80 year history. When thought of in these teams it's almost as if the boomers are married to okie lite but in bed with uTerus. They could get a divorce but they can't lose the concubine.

If Texas was nearly any other school, it would be a no-brainer to go to the PAC. They'll make more money there, even without the LHN, than in the Big XII or as an independent. Texas would be lucky to join the PAC, any other school would know that.

Lucky for us, Texas isn't like any other school. They have an ego as big as . . . Texas-and they just can't stomach being in a conference where several schools are their equal or better in academics and athletics. Stanford and Cal can laugh at Texas' academics, USC can laugh at their football history, UCLA and Arizona can laugh at their basketball history, and on and on. Texas' ego is the only thing saving us from them, let's hope they don't wise up anytime soon.

Best quote of the article IMO ...

"Expansion would require a change of sensibilities. The culture of football in Oklahoma and Texas is such that Oklahoma State coach Mike Gundy, he of the "I'm a man, I'm 40," infamy, recently fired a carpenter because the man showed up wearing an "Oklahoma Baseball" T-shirt. Seriously.

According to court documents, Gundy called the carpenter a "stupid idiot" for wearing an OU shirt on "Cowboy soil." The carpenter, Brent Loveland, was so offended that his attorney claimed Gundy went "beyond the bounds of decency."

Had a carpenter showed up at Oregon coach Chip Kelly's house wearing an Beavers T-shirt, Kelly would've felt not outrage, but sympathy. He would've presented him with several green/yellow/ black/camouflage Nike shirts and given him a $250 bonus for not saying anything about the Willie Lyles scandal." :lol:

Read more: http://azstarnet.com/sports/footbal...819-5493-b281-01c43d67bbae.html#ixzz1Xm1T5eqO

If OU and UT are so attractive, why isn't the Big Ten chasing them as well? Makes about as much geographic sense as the Pac-12.

because the b10 already has a successful tv network.

Doesn't the Big Ten realize that adding OU and UT will add 1-2mm dollars per school per year!!! And get them into the Dallas and South Texas markets!!

Last edited:
Doesn't the Big Ten realize that adding OU and UT will add 1-2mm dollars per school per year!!! And get them into the Dallas and South Texas markets!!

i believe that, to date, the b10 has wanted to stay away from ut because of the tv network issue and the equal rev share issue. and, i think they have their eyes on eastern markets, not texas and the southwest.

if things heat up, i would think the b10 will take a look at all options including ut and ou, but i really think they'd rather go east.

I'm fine with expansion. We benefited when the PAC-12 gave us the opportunity to get out the of hell that was the BIG-12. So it just took longer as opposed to "sooner" for OU to wise up. I'd be good with KU, OU, OSU and Rice.

But I do have a question if Rice why not one of the more obscure schools in California - San Diego State, Fresno, San Jose etc..... Is it simply a matter of being athletically unappealing? Would they be a poor choice academically? Financially? Or is it a combination of all three that makes them inferior to a standard that the PAC-12 is trying to maintain. I confess I really just don't know that much about those schools.

Academics is part of it - but mostly it is eyeballs. The Pac12 already has those eyeballs - they want new ones

Academics is part of it - but mostly it is eyeballs. The Pac12 already has those eyeballs - they want new ones

to build on this, schools like ucla and usc do not want any part of sdsu in the conference for example. sdsu is much easier academically and they can get guys in that usc and ucla can't touch. but, it is also the fact that usc and ucla view san diego as part of "their" footprint. they don't want to compete for eyeballs in what they view as their own market. and, to dio's point, none of these schools add incremental households so the result would likely be less money per team rather than more per team.

fresno state is an even tougher sell -- many of the p12 school presidents would stroke out at the thought.

Back