What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Chizik to Auburn???

Let me just remind everyone'

Who was Bob Stoops before he became HC at Oklahoma? The DC at Kansas State and then Florida.

Who was Pete Carroll before he became HC at USC; a washed up NFL coach

Who was Bill McCartney before he became HC at CU; a 10 year assistant at Michigan

Who was Jimmy Johson before he became the HC at Miami; a guy that spent a couple three years at Oklahoma State

Who was Urban Myer before he became the HC at Florida; a guy who coached a mid major program

Who was Nick Saban before he became the HC at LSU; a guy who could barely keep Michigan State in the top 25.

Who was Lou Holtz before he became the HC at Notre Dame; only DBT is old enough to remember.

Who was Bob Stoops before he became HC at Oklahoma? The DC at Kansas State and then Florida.

Who was Bill McCartney before he became HC at CU; a 10 year assistant at Michigan

Who was Jimmy Johson before he became the HC at Miami; a guy that spent a couple three years at Oklahoma State

Who was Urban Myer before he became the HC at Florida; a guy who coached a mid major program

Who was Nick Saban before he became the HC at LSU; a guy who could barely keep Michigan State in the top 25.

Who was Lou Holtz before he became the HC at Notre Dame; only DBT is old enough to remember.

Interesting. The only one I'd disagree with is Urban Meyer because he had a legitimately good team at Utah.

:lol: at Holtz/DBT comment

To be fair, you should also write about the many number of unproven coaches that failed in these types of situations.....

To be fair, you should also write about the many number of unproven coaches that failed in these types of situations.....

Or you could write about the proven guys who change schools or come back from the NFL only to be a bust 2nd time around. McKay, Schnellenberger come to mind.

The point is this really a risky business and identifying and hiring the coaches that are world beaters is very hard to do. Colorado is not likely to ever be one of those jobs.

In my mind, I see it as a terrible hire. But, it is a helluva alot easier to win at Auburn than it is to win at Iowa State.

In my mind, I see it as a terrible hire. But, it is a helluva alot easier to win at Auburn than it is to win at Iowa State.

Not at the level of expectations there. In Ames, if they win 6-7 games a year and beat Iowa and/or Nebraska once every 2-3 years, they're satisfied. At Auburn, 6-7 wins a year is viewed as the apocalypse. They base their success on whether or not they beat Alabama, LSU, Tennessee & Arkansas.

Interesting comments by Barkley, I actually came to this thread to post them before I saw they were already linked.

It's easy to dismiss his comments as a bit cliche, or just simply as whining, but I think there may be some validity here. I understand race in Alabama is probably a bit of a different issue than it is in Colorado...

Not to suggest Auburn turned Gill away because he was black - that is going a bit too far - but the # of black coaches in CFB compared with the number of black players in CFB is a bit telling. Even QB, a position that produces coaches at a pretty high rate compared to the rest of them, sports a waaay higher % of black players than HC positions.

Don't know enough about the situation to comment but Barkley seems pretty passionate here. I think there will probably be some fallout from his comments, to some extent at least...

Sir Charles first condemns the consideration of race as a factor:

"I think race was the No. 1 factor," said Barkley, who played basketball for three seasons at Auburn during the early 1980s. "You can say it's not about race, but you can't compare the two resumes and say [Chizik] deserved the job. Out of all the coaches they interviewed, Chizik probably had the worst resume."

But then he says:

"Clearly, if we'd hired a black coach, it would have created a buzz."

:lol:

Both of my cousins going to school at ISU are real happy about this at least....able to unload a coach that hasn't done a damn thing and that they were locked into for awhile...at least someone's happy about it :smile2:

Turner Gill to ISU?

UBuffalo Coach Turner Gill is expected to speak with Iowa State AD Jamie Pollard
about the ISU football coaching job as early as tonight. This comes despite denials
from Gill’s attorney who has told media outlets “there has been no contact.”

That contact comes tonight when Gill returns to Buffalo from a weekend away.
Gill was thought to be a candidate at both Syracuse and Auburn and never got a serious
look by either school.

http://www.62andeven.com/

My wife is from Alabama...but hates the lingering race hatred that is entrenched in the older population..truth told..the old whites are probably not more hating than the old blacks..but that's another story.

A relative, an Auburn grad, told her that Gill was stopped by the old boys club of donors, not just because he was black..which they might have been able to swallow..but that he has a pretty white wife. That they could not tolerate.

The fallout for Auburn is large...today two four star commits..including their prized QB commit...decomitted. I think that is at least 10 de-commits from the time of the announcement. Chizik has his hands full...but a lot more talent to work with than he had in Ames.

Last edited:
You gotta love Charles Barkley, but this quote is utter bullsh!t: "My biggest problem with the black coaches is they're not getting jobs and they're getting [expletive] jobs when they are hired," Barkley said. "They're not getting good jobs. They're not getting jobs where they can be successful."

Sorry, but Miami, Washington, Notre Dame and to a lesser extent Oklahoma State are not "sh!tty jobs". Washington was a good job before Willingham went there. Barkley lost any credibility he might have had when he said that.

Seriously, if you can't be successful at Notre Dame, Miami or Washington then Auburn certainly isn't a better situation. Playing second fiddle to Nick Saban in-state. Good luck with recruiting your own state let alone the other recruiting machines in the area.

..but that he has a pretty white wife. That they could not tolerate.

Maybe if Gill had an ugly white wife they could tolerate him. :rolleyes:

Seriously though, Gene Chizik had his greatest success, as a member of a college coaching staff, at Auburn when he was their defensive coordinator; they went to three bowls in those years.

To him it is a sweet return, I'm sure.

Last edited:
It's easy to dismiss his comments as a bit cliche, or just simply as whining, but I think there may be some validity here. I understand race in Alabama is probably a bit of a different issue than it is in Colorado...

Just curious what this means.

Barkley's comments are absurd. Chizik was the hottest commodity in coaching just two years ago, and while defensive coordinator at Auburn his defense never lost a game. If Chizik hadn't accepted the Iowa State job (where it is impossible to win), and were still the defensive coordinator at Texas (where he also never lost), this would be viewed as a fantastic hire. Turner Gill will get his shot very soon, perhaps even at Iowa State, which is a better fit for him given his Big 8 pedigree.

Besides, look at how CU fans are judging Hawkins and his record right now -- the Big 12 is just so tough, one's coaching record needs to be taken in context. I don't think Barkely follows the Big 12 very much, he just looked at Chizik's record, and then Gill's MAC record and matched up wins and losses.

Barkley's comments are absurd.

I disagree, A.) this was a **** hire B.) this is the second time a candidate with an inferior resume who was white got the auburn job "once is a coincidence twice is behavior."

Barkley's comments are absurd. Chizik was the hottest commodity in coaching just two years ago, and while defensive coordinator at Auburn his defense never lost a game. If Chizik hadn't accepted the Iowa State job (where it is impossible to win), and were still the defensive coordinator at Texas (where he also never lost), this would be viewed as a fantastic hire. Turner Gill will get his shot very soon, perhaps even at Iowa State, which is a better fit for him given his Big 8 pedigree.

Besides, look at how CU fans are judging Hawkins and his record right now -- the Big 12 is just so tough, one's coaching record needs to be taken in context. I don't think Barkely follows the Big 12 very much, he just looked at Chizik's record, and then Gill's MAC record and matched up wins and losses.

Turner Gill signed an extension at Buffalo yesterday, so I guess he´s not going anywhere for at least 12 months.

We hired slick rick over simmons, and Mac lobbied for Simmons. Slick Rick tore apart Mac's program, Simmons couldn't do anything at OSU but I think it would have been different if we would have hired Simmons instead.

We hired slick rick over simmons, and Mac lobbied for Simmons. Slick Rick tore apart Mac's program, Simmons couldn't do anything at OSU but I think it would have been different if we would have hired Simmons instead.

That is a common misnomer.

McCartney did not recommend any one specific coach to become his successor. He recommended several different coaches, including both Neuheisel and Simmons. I believe he also recommended his DC Mike Hankwitz.

Simmons did have one pretty good year at OSU (1997, if I recall) where they went 8-4 or so.

Back