What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Coach Bill McCartney's HOF Speech

At least he did not say anything bad about CU. I think he wanted to share the lessons he learned from Bo but do agree it is strange that he made no mention of CU.
CU has this up on it's website, yet there's nothing in the speech about CU. Wonder if Michigan is playing this?

I'm not terribly offended. If Mac wanted to go out of his way to tarnish CU in some personal way, we know what that looks like and he would have done so in the speech. I think this was more about showing his respect for Bo, whom he probably feels is the single most important person in getting him to the HOF (which he is), than deliberately casting off CU. I believe that if this speech were longer, he would have favorably spoken about his career, coaches and players at CU.
Not mutually exclusive. Didn't he review his remarks with someone? Wouldn't that other person have said logically, no mention of CU here?

I'm not terribly offended. If Mac wanted to go out of his way to tarnish CU in some personal way, we know what that looks like and he would have done so in the speech. I think this was more about showing his respect for Bo, whom he probably feels is the single most important person in getting him to the HOF (which he is), than deliberately casting off CU. I believe that if this speech were longer, he would have favorably spoken about his career, coaches and players at CU.

This is the correct response IMO. Rick George worked for Mac, if I'm not mistaken. Mac was obviously outspoken about his disagreement over the firing of Embree, but I believe him when he says that he is over it and that he continues to have a deep love and support for the future success of CU. Mac has continuously spoken about the influence that Schembechler had on him as a coach, and Bo's influence was scene in every facet of CU's resurgence under Mac, and things that later held as "traditions" which were eradicated by Halk. Including, "The Pride and Tradition of the…..will not be entrusted to the timid or the weak" (not originated by Schembechler, by certainly taken by Mac from Ann Arbor to Boulder)

Eh whatever. It was weird he didn't mention Colorado, but he was just explaining the inspiration of Bo and how became a good coach. Without Bo, Mac believes he wouldn't have been successful. But really who cares.

Eh whatever. It was weird he didn't mention Colorado, but he was just explaining the inspiration of Bo and how became a good coach. Without Bo, Mac believes he wouldn't have been successful. But really who cares.

Im with you. It was his speech who gives a **** if he only wants to talk about Michigan. He really doesn't affect CU in anyway.

Im with you. It was his speech who gives a **** if he only wants to talk about Michigan. He really doesn't affect CU in anyway.
I am not offended either but I was surprised when I heard it and never heard him mention Colorado. That would kind of be like Jerry Rice doing his HOF speech and never mentioning the 49ers and only mentioning his high school coach. But whatever, NBD

For those of you defending it, I hope we never see a post from you criticizing a CU player referencing his high school in the NFL Monday Night Football intros. That's the equivalent to what Mac did.

I'm sure none of us became CU fans solely because of one individual. It's much more than that.

It's time to move on from the past and not only BM but also the team uniforms that we wear in football. That belongs in the old Big 8/12 era.

It's time for a NEW ERA and to leave BM in the dust.

Except that he's in the HOF because of what he did at CU. When Tad goes into the College B-Ball HOF, I'm sure he'll praise Larry Brown for mentoring him and then end it by singing the CU Fight Song. Screw Mac.

Regardless of how we feel about the omission, or about the man, it was clearly intended as a slight to CU.

**** him

You want to talk about Bo? That's fine, go right ahead, he should be in there. But how about thanking the AD for not firing you (ya know, since you went on a rant about that on the radio for a month), thank Gee for providing you all the resources you needed to succeed and get to the HOF, your players, your staff at CU, etc. Maybe he would have been hired to another school at some point, but the fact is CU was his only HC job and without that job he wouldn't be in the HOF now. Pathetic.

Last edited:
Regardless of how we feel about the omission, or about the man, it was clearly intended as a slight to CU.
Yeah like I said above, I imagine he sent his prepared remarks to a trusted friend or family member and they looked over it and probably said something like "nothing about CU," and he said "why should I include them." The logical response would be "because they are honoring you for what you accomplished there, you left your mark there, not Michigan."

Yeah like I said above, I imagine he sent his prepared remarks to a trusted friend or family member and they looked over it and probably said something like "nothing about CU," and he said "why should I include them." The logical response would be "because they are honoring you for what you accomplished there, you left your mark there, not Michigan."

I saw that, and I agree. I'm mostly responding to a few folks who (I think) feel as though it might have been an innocent oversight. That cannot be an oversight. It's not possible.

I saw that, and I agree. I'm mostly responding to a few folks who (I think) feel as though it might have been an innocent oversight. That cannot be an oversight. It's not possible.

That's my belief.

Yeah I know, we're in agreement for the most part. I have a hard time believing this could be an innocent oversight.

Great coach, glad he was here, but its time for the program to move on.

No more recruiting lunches, 50 yard line celebrations, car rides around folsom field.

He did his part for the program, the program has done their part for him.

Bye Bye Bill.

Re: Michigan Coach Bill McCartney's HOF Speech

Great coach, glad he was here, but its time for the program to move on.

No more recruiting lunches, 50 yard line celebrations, car rides around folsom field.

He did his part for the program, the program has done their part for him.

Bye Bye Bill.

Perfect, my feelings exactly.

We officially have a new Mac!

Back