What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Coach Bill McCartney's HOF Speech

For those of you defending it, I hope we never see a post from you criticizing a CU player referencing his high school in the NFL Monday Night Football intros. That's the equivalent to what Mac did.

A lot more people see MNF then this speech. I would have never known about this speech if I didnt read about it here.

Too bad he thought he should have more control than he was given. Remember, he did walk away and quit when he had numerous years left on a contract. I loved what he did for CU from a coaching perspective but he has run his course. We honored him at halftime of a game and now he is in the College Hall. Hope he goes away now and we focus on the future.

Re: Michigan Coach Bill McCartney's HOF Speech

Its one big cycle of life. An Homeresque Odyssey of Bill.

1974- Michigan
1982 - Ashes
1990 - From Ashes to Glory
2010 - From Glory to Ashes
2012 - Ashes
2014 - Michigan

The subplot involves playing for Mizzou and then 5th down, and then Mizzou kicking CU's ass 5 times during the Hawkins error.

Last edited by a moderator:
I understand your loyalty. What's your take?

I really think he wanted to honor Bo. There has been plenty of CU hoopla surrounding him, but he wasn't going to run a laundry list of his accomplishments. Other people did that. A thank you to Bill Marolt and Gordon Gee would have been nice, I guess. I just don't read as much into it as others.

Never meet your heroes. :sad1:
Definitely some truth to that, with social media everyone wants to know about their favorite athletes. But when you learn more, you discover sometimes, they aren't as "cool" as you thought they were.

CU football didn't make Bill McCartney great. Bill McCartney made CU football great. He attributes what he accomplished to what he learned from Bo. I am moving on.

The speech may make some sense in the context of Mac's current focus - trying to find some way to help Detroit out. So, it's natural he'd focus on Michigan for his speech. I won't link it, but the Denver Post has two articles currently about Mac, his personal life over the last year, and what he hopes to do.

I really think he wanted to honor Bo. There has been plenty of CU hoopla surrounding him, but he wasn't going to run a laundry list of his accomplishments. Other people did that. A thank you to Bill Marolt and Gordon Gee would have been nice, I guess. I just don't read as much into it as others.

See, I think you and your peers deserved a big thank you. He did a lot for you, but you did as much or more for him and the University.

Not mutually exclusive, he could do that and mention CU.

CU football didn't make Bill McCartney great. Bill McCartney made CU football great. He attributes what he accomplished to what he learned from Bo. I am moving on.
But without administration support he doesn't rise to the top

CU also stuck by him when they could've easily let him go. Looking back it looks like a rather obvious choice but today he'd likely be fired.

See, I think you and your peers deserved a big thank you. He did a lot for you, but you did as much or more for him and the University.

i appreciate your sentiment, but he owes me no thank you. I owe him an unrepayable debt. He is the second most influential man in my life, my father takes spot one. He took a chance on me. I'd probably piss people off by talking about him when I get inducted into the 35 year-old hall of fame rather than giving credit to DBT.

i appreciate your sentiment, but he owes me no thank you. I owe him an unrepayable debt. He is the second most influential man in my life, my father takes spot one. He took a chance on me. I'd probably piss people off by talking about him when I get inducted into the 35 year-old hall of fame rather than giving credit to DBT.

It was a very unusual speech, Fla.

If you'd heard it out of context, I bet you would have thought it was for a Michigan function honoring Bo.

I respect that BM tries very hard to be humble and thankful. He wanted to honor the man who was most influential in him being inducted to the HOF. And that's more than ok. But it's so weird to do so without starting with an acknowledgement of CU and the people there before saying, "But all of that wouldn't have been possible without Bo Schembechler. Bo yada-yada-yada-yada, etc., etc., etc." Leaving the CU part out smacks of being intentional.

Mac was a great coach and in talking to people I have known who played for him a great man. When he was the coach he took over a very difficult situation and gave it everything he had and made us what we were.

Maybe he isn't able to let that go, maybe he is now bitter and upset, maybe he just had a different intention in giving the speech. I don't know.

It's 30 years ago now and he is an old man. Let him be who he wants to be. I would rather he had focused on the time that put him into the HOF but it's his deal not mine. Let's live in here and now. He isn't our coach anymore, lets focus on the guy who is.

At his age we aren't going to change him so let it go.

Too bad he thought he should have more control than he was given. Remember, he did walk away and quit when he had numerous years left on a contract. I loved what he did for CU from a coaching perspective but he has run his course. We honored him at halftime of a game and now he is in the College Hall. Hope he goes away now and we focus on the future.
Yep he's been gone for 20 years now, I know he's the most accomplished coach but he was only here for 12 years. I don't want to see him go away like everyone else. He's not on payroll, don't like when he uses his stature for the bully pulpit role

I love coach Mac for his accomplishments at CU. I remember walking to the Hill on a Friday night during football season....probably 1985 or so...before he had any significant success. Coach Mac was walking the same direction and struck up a conversation. He took the time to speak to a punk about his vision of CU football, and why we should support the team. It was incredible.

Now, he appears to be a bitter, perhaps senile old bitch. It is a shame, but such is life. We need to write him off and move on.

Not to be a homer, but I lurk around here a lot and wanted to add what I know about the event. The inductees did not each give individual speeches at the event. Coach Mac was speaking on behalf of the entire class, which kind of changes the perspective and context of the speech he gave.

From the National Football Foundation website:

The 12 players and two coaches bring the total number of players in the Hall of Fame to 934 and the number of coaches in the hall to 205. Coach McCartney delivered the response on behalf of the class, stressing the importance of teamwork, and the important lessons he learned when he was an assistant coach under Hall of Famer Bo Schembechler. - See more at: http://www.collegefootball.org/tabi...nnual-Awards-Dinner.aspx#sthash.x6uBHIVk.dpuf

not to be a homer, but i lurk around here a lot and wanted to add what i know about the event. The inductees did not each give individual speeches at the event. Coach mac was speaking on behalf of the entire class, which kind of changes the perspective and context of the speech he gave.

From the national football foundation website:

The 12 players and two coaches bring the total number of players in the hall of fame to 934 and the number of coaches in the hall to 205. Coach mccartney delivered the response on behalf of the class, stressing the importance of teamwork, and the important lessons he learned when he was an assistant coach under hall of famer bo schembechler. - see more at: http://www.collegefootball.org/tabi...nnual-awards-dinner.aspx#sthash.x6ubhivk.dpuf
dude slapped!!!

Back