What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Coach Bill McCartney's HOF Speech

Not to be a homer, but I lurk around here a lot and wanted to add what I know about the event. The inductees did not each give individual speeches at the event. Coach Mac was speaking on behalf of the entire class, which kind of changes the perspective and context of the speech he gave.

From the National Football Foundation website:

The 12 players and two coaches bring the total number of players in the Hall of Fame to 934 and the number of coaches in the hall to 205. Coach McCartney delivered the response on behalf of the class, stressing the importance of teamwork, and the important lessons he learned when he was an assistant coach under Hall of Famer Bo Schembechler. - See more at: http://www.collegefootball.org/tabi...nnual-Awards-Dinner.aspx#sthash.x6uBHIVk.dpuf

Thank you for posting.

All my bitching is retracted with apologies to Bill McCartney. I was wrong.

Not to be a homer, but I lurk around here a lot and wanted to add what I know about the event. The inductees did not each give individual speeches at the event. Coach Mac was speaking on behalf of the entire class, which kind of changes the perspective and context of the speech he gave.

From the National Football Foundation website:

The 12 players and two coaches bring the total number of players in the Hall of Fame to 934 and the number of coaches in the hall to 205. Coach McCartney delivered the response on behalf of the class, stressing the importance of teamwork, and the important lessons he learned when he was an assistant coach under Hall of Famer Bo Schembechler. - See more at: http://www.collegefootball.org/tabi...nnual-Awards-Dinner.aspx#sthash.x6uBHIVk.dpuf

Dammit Dude. You and all your providing perspective nonsense making us look like a bunch of assholes.

Thanks.

CU football didn't make Bill McCartney great. Bill McCartney made CU football great. He attributes what he accomplished to what he learned from Bo. I am moving on.

Dude, you're lost. Read some books, know your history. CU was by no means a football wasteland before Mac. Mac DID NOT make CU football.

Michigan Coach Bill McCartney's HOF Speech

I still think he owes Fla Buff something. :lol:

Wow, I wish I took this program as personally as some of y'all do.

This from a guy who played for Mac. Marking every word they are. Counting his vices. Haters will hate.

I really think he wanted to honor Bo. There has been plenty of CU hoopla surrounding him, but he wasn't going to run a laundry list of his accomplishments. Other people did that. A thank you to Bill Marolt and Gordon Gee would have been nice, I guess. I just don't read as much into it as others.

A speech never written to be broadcast on TV sure seems to have a lot of people's panties in a wad once it did.

Ill not forget what he left on the field for us. Nor will I forget how much many on campus absolutely hated him and felt embarrassed by his presence. Sure, he said some things recently he shouldn't have. He's always been a firey guy.

Last edited:
Personally, I'm a little miffed McCartney didn't call out ESPN in his speech for portraying Saturday's basketball win as a KU loss rather than a CU win.

Wow, I wish I took this program as personally as some of y'all do.
Me too, big fella. Seems to me that it was Coach who was honored, not CU. All love from me to one of three men who were/are formative figures in my growth as a man.

Call me old fashioned but wouldn't it be great if we could just hit guys like this in the face. I know I would feel better.

Eh, the facts of the speech hit this guy in the face, as well as others who looked for a slight when there was none.

Call me old fashioned but wouldn't it be great if we could just hit guys like this in the face. I know I would feel better.

Violence never solves anything.......and besides, you know, deep down, that he's half right!

Mac lost me when he declared that he didn't think resigning when he did, took any "thunder" away from Salaam's 2,000 yd./Heisman-winning effort. Yet, it was always all about him and that SOM continues.

Back