What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Coach Embree doesnt like how we played last year... Imagine that.

That is dumb. The old film is information. How could you ignore valuable information when you only have 20 some practices until the first game? This staff needs to hit the ground running. I disagree. I want these kids to be told how badly they sucked. They need accountability.

Edit: Oops. Thats what I get for working while reading allbuffs.

To tack on, you can have a certain expectation, say, to win 8 games, be in the upper third of the conference in off. and def. stats, and win a bowl game, but if you have no idea where you are to begin with, then you have no real idea of how far you have to go, or what you specifically have to do to get there. You HAVE to look at where your predecessor left off to figure out where you're going and how you're going to get there.

"What shows up to me on tape was we didn`t play hard,"

I hope this is the beginning of the process to get the players to play with a smash the other guy in the mouth mentality.

"We`re awful at situational football, at understanding what the situation is,"

Please let this mean that we will no longer try the slow developing stretch hand off on 4 & inches, or the ever popular 3 yard out on 3 & 5.

"We`re awful at situational football, at understanding what the situation is,"

seriously. you don't take a sack on 3rd and 5 for a 10 yard loss just inside FG range. plus, with an astonishing lack of success....Dan's continued "thumbing of his nose" at conventional field position wisdom.....

seriously. you don't take a sack on 3rd and 5 for a 10 yard loss just inside FG range. plus, with an astonishing lack of success....Dan's continued "thumbing of his nose" at conventional field position wisdom.....

I agree, but to be fair, this is the same exact play that took us out of FG range before we punted to the rocket in the Orange bowl. We don't take that sack and the return doesn't even happen and we likely win 13-9, or we even continue the good drive and score a TD to win 17-9.

I agree, but to be fair, this is the same exact play that took us out of FG range before we punted to the rocket in the Orange bowl. We don't take that sack and the return doesn't even happen and we likely win 13-9, or we even continue the good drive and score a TD to win 17-9.

i'm just saying watching a team beat itself with "little things" like getting sacked out of FG range or jumping offsides on 3rd and 2 was pretty common. there were times when CU moved the ball great between the 30's and self-destruct in the RZ. O mistakes giving too many short fields and a close game turns into a 3 possession game in the 2nd half, CU loses.

Anyone catch this:

From Article said:
Embree said the Buffs will use a 4-3 as the base defensive scheme but they will also change looks at times and adjust to what opponents do offensively.

:thumbsup: Was hearing a horrible rumor that we were going to the 3-4.

Why does he have to say anything about last season at all? He wasn't the coach. He wasn't in the locker room. He was watching on TV.

I don't know why he can't say things like "We're focusing on moving forward and getting ready for next year."

Sure, it's coach-speak, and it doesn't mean much, and I understand he doesn't know squat about this team since they haven't started practice yet - but I fail to see how throwing the former coach under the bus solves anything, other than satiate the masses.

It just sounds like excuse making, to me.

You are sounding like a troll. Quit trying to generate controversy on Embree's evaluations about how the team played last year.

Personally, I really like where Embree was going with these quotes. He is directly challenging his players physical and mental toughness. He is putting the majority of the blame directly on the players not Hawkins and co - something totally different than the last regime. He doesn't think the program was "burned to the ground" when he got here. Just that the players look like a bunch of pussies out there. Hopefully some of the guys on the team will get a little pissed off and bring some god damn passion and fire back when they are out there on the field in spring and fall camps.

At this point I'm not expecting miracles for next season but I would be very happy if we are in most of the games we lose and we are knocking people on their ass every game and being physical. Attitude and behavior first, then players, then winning.

this is simple. provide tiger blood to drink and we will be winning

i just want to win.

they all come in and try to install their own deal. and they all engage in varying degrees of criticism of the previous regime. anyone remember RTD?

toughness is one of the fundamental cliches used by coaches when they take over a program. there really isn't anything to read into this.

the last staff sucked so completely that there are really very few things that aren't subject to severe criticism. it is all just talk anyhow.

win. that's all i want. the off-seasons speechifying is just red meat for the fans. embree is doing his job-- trying to build some enthusiasm for his regime.

it is all good.

i'm just saying watching a team beat itself with "little things" like getting sacked out of FG range or jumping offsides on 3rd and 2 was pretty common. there were times when CU moved the ball great between the 30's and self-destruct in the RZ. O mistakes giving too many short fields and a close game turns into a 3 possession game in the 2nd half, CU loses.

Or kicking long field goals instead of punting and trying to pin the other team deep.

(See: K-State game a few years ago where Hawk tries a long FG late in the second quarter. Said FG is subsequently missed and we essentially give K-State a freebie FG after a couple first downs. Momentum shifted, close game turns into an absolute rout in the second half.)

I loved embree's comments, tell it like it is and let it be known that playing like that will not be tolerated.

I loved embree's comments, tell it like it is and let it be known that playing like that will not be tolerated.

I'm surprised to hear that you're a fan of the "tell it like it is" approach, Mr. Sugarcoat.

I'm surprised to hear that you're a fan of the "tell it like it is" approach, Mr. Sugarcoat.

if he starts calling you "honeybuns" in return, it is going to be a little uncomfortable for the rest of us here.

i just want to win.

they all come in and try to install their own deal. and they all engage in varying degrees of criticism of the previous regime. anyone remember RTD?

toughness is one of the fundamental cliches used by coaches when they take over a program. there really isn't anything to read into this.

the last staff sucked so completely that there are really very few things that aren't subject to severe criticism. it is all just talk anyhow.

win. that's all i want. the off-seasons speechifying is just red meat for the fans. embree is doing his job-- trying to build some enthusiasm for his regime.

it is all good.

rtd sucks... get better customer service... wait your talking about the bus right? :lol:

Personally, I really like where Embree was going with these quotes. He is directly challenging his players physical and mental toughness. He is putting the majority of the blame directly on the players not Hawkins and co - something totally different than the last regime. He doesn't think the program was "burned to the ground" when he got here. Just that the players look like a bunch of pussies out there. Hopefully some of the guys on the team will get a little pissed off and bring some god damn passion and fire back when they are out there on the field in spring and fall camps.

At this point I'm not expecting miracles for next season but I would be very happy if we are in most of the games we lose and we are knocking people on their ass every game and being physical. Attitude and behavior first, then players, then winning.

Agree totally. No more pussies! I don't think EB or Embo will allow for that at any time.

I will say that as a coach I will never figure Hawkins. He defied all logic. I knew that Eddie got out of step with the players in 70s (when everyone was getting out of step), Mallory was great at Xs and Os but was weak recruiting and did not mesh with boosters, Fairbanks had lost all interest in the job and had some other issues, Coach Mac of course was great at motivating and leading - his personal views got him pressure from some areas, Neuheisel was too inexperienced and too touchy feely but he knew offense, Barnett was torpedoed by the scandal and could not regain momentum.

But Hawkins just appeared like he knew nothing about coaching and was totally unwilling to learn...I just could not understand him and what made him tick.

That's because you can't understand him with a normal brain. He has tiger's blood and Adonis DNA.

Good for Embree, that KU game should not be forgotten, the pride and tradition of the CU football team was left in the hands of the timid and weak that day.

I fully expect this team to compete for a south division title

I thank God for that KU game. Otherwise, we might still be sitting with Hawk at the helm today.

Back