What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Coach Hawk Is Going Nowhere

Agreed, if "The Ragin Cajuns" can beat this team CU has absolutely no reason to lose - even in Manhattan. KSU is probably the weakest team we will play the rest of the season. A loss to this team is completely unacceptable.

We do play aTm this year.

A feasible scenario would be a 5-7 season this year being viewed as improvement and cause for the coaching staff to be retained.

I think this would lead to the program treading water in mediocre territory. I liked the Kansas win, as we all did, but I do not think that this team is "turned around" and I do not expect a .500 season this year. With the current staff at the helm, I would not expect a strong year next year.

I need to see more than one strong win at home against Kansas that we easily could have lost to have faith in these guys to get it done.

Excellent points.

Plus, I believe that DiStefano (and Benson if he cares at all about athletics) is pretty satisfied with the job performances of Hawkins, Bzdelik and Bohn.

The academic/administrative side only cares that the AD is pulling its financial weight, gaining positive press for the university, and that the student-athletes are performing reasonably well as students while staying out of trouble.

From everything I've seen and heard, Benson does not put football anywhere near the top of his priority list. He delegates the affairs of Boulder to DiStephano.

Benson's office is in downtown Denver. His passion is with the continued development of the $1B Anshutz Medical campus and the related research grants. He's focused on obtaining federal grants in areas like space exploration, climate change and alternative energy. He's going for stimulous money. He's also creating alliances with CSU, Mines, UNC, Metro State and the other institutions that are bound by state law. He'll be doing his part to target the 2010 and 2011 legislative seasons to either increase state funding or decrease the shackles that the state puts on higher education institutions (i.e., if the state only contributes 6% of CU's $7B budget, then how can the state justify capping instate tuition at <$6,200 per semester, or whatever the real numbers are)

From what I've seen, Bruce Benson has bigger fish to fry than to worry about some piddly $50M athletic budget. That's the kind of small stuff Phil DiStephano gets paid to handle.

Benson would be more likely to hang out with Nobel Lauriate Thomas Czech on a football Saturday in pursuit of some $500M research grant. Atleast that's my uniformed take on the situation.

Which among the diehard Hawkins supporters on this board do you expect to negative rep you? :lol:

No question this has been a very disappointing year, but it looks like the team may have turned a corner. There is no question in my mind they continue to show improvement each week.

Hawkins will have most of his team back next season, and winning the north this year actually looks doable, so if he can pull it off I am supportive of his return. I sure as hell won't be cancelling my tix if he does.

Chilly is who I expect to and he did...

Reactions: DBT
What if he has 5 wins total with this last 3 wins coming over a ranked OSU, MU, and KNU.

Just playing devils advocate. This is why I want to see the entire season playout before I judge.

So many ways to win and lose that If he gets 5 wins this year, with 4 of them being against top 20 teams, it will be tough not to give him 1 more year to see what he can do with this same team when they are Juniors and Seniors.

That's a ridiculous argument. If he can beat a ranked KU, OSU, MU and Neb, I'm even more pissed off that he lost to CSU, Toledo, WVU, ISU, KSU and aTm. Especially considering that those losses to KSU, ISU and aTm are sandwiched by beating 3 ranked teams to close things out.

That's a ridiculous argument. If he can beat a ranked KU, OSU, MU and Neb, I'm even more pissed off that he lost to CSU, Toledo, WVU, ISU, KSU and aTm. Especially considering that those losses to KSU, ISU and aTm are sandwiched by beating 3 ranked teams to close things out.

I'm with you. I'd feel better about Hawkins if we beat KSU, ISU and aTm. Under Chilly's scenario, we miss a bowl game because we lost to 5 ****ty teams. I can handle road losses to WVU, Texas and Okie Lite. Very few teams would win those games.

Edit: I just realized that this must be where I have my major disconnect with Chilly. To him, that win over Oklahoma more than cancels out the loss to Montana State (I assume). I'm exactly the opposite.

Chilly is who I expect to and he did...

Yeah Shilly is an asshat who loves to neg rep fellow Buff fans who dont agree with him. :rolleyes:

Anyways, I agree w/ you. I think his job is still on the line and he has to at least get a bowl game or he's gone, just like Callahan.

The buyout is huge dollars. Bohn can see improvement.

Folks... it's not going to happen so lets hope the Buffs
can win at least 4 out of their next 6 games and go bowling.

Suddenly the future looks brighter in the QB, WR, OL & DL positions.
Mr. Jones and Spond will be Buffs next year and others will follow.

No need to dwell on a new coach since it's not going to happen. Lets focus on the positives.

Hey, and I thought only the "little things" were keeping us away from dominating the Big 12.

As much as I am very dissapointed with how we started the season, and the extremely questionable coaching decisions, and Hawk's stupid defensive behavior. If this team goes 7-5 regular season, I'll give Hawk another season, because that is what I stated at the beginning of the season. I am very displeased with him right now, but this team has displayed a rapid improvement since Wyoming. I'm in definite wait and see mode.

:yeahthat: I don't think this scenario is likely at all, as it would mean we beat OSU on the road, but somehow lost to ISU and KSU on the road. If that does happen, I don't think even wins over those teams vindicates Hawk. For me, his job is nowhere near safe. Starting this week Hawk has a few games in a row that he pretty much needs to win. He has had one marginal season here in four years, that's just not good enough. That one good season even included a game vs NU as a must win to get to a bowl game. Everything under Hawk has been a mess. Even the wins we do get are close and come down to the last minute. Have we even had a blowout victory under Hawk? Miami OH doesn't count.

A feasible scenario would be a 5-7 season this year being viewed as improvement and cause for the coaching staff to be retained.

I think this would lead to the program treading water in mediocre territory. I liked the Kansas win, as we all did, but I do not think that this team is "turned around" and I do not expect a .500 season this year. With the current staff at the helm, I would not expect a strong year next year.

I need to see more than one strong win at home against Kansas that we easily could have lost to have faith in these guys to get it done.

:yeahthat: Especially the bolded part.

I could forgive Montana St. and Baylor at home in '06, especially after the Okie win a year later. CSU and Toledo this season? Not so much. The KU game was great, but Hawk and co. have to prove it the rest of the season.

A 5-7 record and I guess I could support this staff another year. Wouldn't be opposed to seeing Bohn go another direction either.

Yeah Shilly is an asshat who loves to neg rep fellow Buff fans who dont agree with him. :rolleyes:

Anyways, I agree w/ you. I think his job is still on the line and he has to at least get a bowl game or he's gone, just like Callahan.

I didn't know neg rep hurt y'alls wittle fewwings so bad. I pwomise to stop.

Bohn is a great AD outside of his coaching selections.

His biggest weakness, by far. At Idaho and SDSU, his coaching hires were never really supposed to be world beaters. They were middle of the road schools in middle of the road conferences with zero expectations from their fans. He can't get away with that here, at least not as it's related to the football team.

We do play aTm this year.
Both garbage teams, maybe aTm even more. No excuse to lose either one of these games. If Juicebox does, it proves he isn't a major college head coach. If he can't out coach a 70 year old geezer dying of whatever, he needs to be sent packing.

I have seen improvement each week since Toledo. I feel that every week we look a little bit better than the last, hopefully that continues. I still have my doubts about Hawk, but am willing to see the season play itself out. If we don't go to a bowl, then I am all for a new coach. The thing I am excted about right now is this is the first season under Hawk we see improvement as the season goes on. And QB play may have just been what the doctor ordered, lets see how the second half goes with TH.

So what other option was there? You can't get worse than what I saw against Toledo.

At some point you need to see some season-to-season improvement, rather than just game 1 to game 12 improvement. Frankly, I am hesitant to say that we have even seen that while Hawkins has been here.

Reinventing the wheel every year and then "improving" to 5-7 is not going to fly.

Losing to CSU and Toledo back-to-back was virtually unfathomable. Even the dreariest of pessimists would not have predicted that at the start of the season.

Making a bowl game this year is going to be nearly impossible. I am really not sure why we have so many posters predicting that this team is going to literally sweep our north schedule, but it is not going to happen.

The buyout is huge dollars. Bohn can see improvement.

Folks... it's not going to happen so lets hope the Buffs
can win at least 4 out of their next 6 games and go bowling.

Suddenly the future looks brighter in the QB, WR, OL & DL positions.
Mr. Jones and Spond will be Buffs next year and others will follow.

No need to dwell on a new coach since it's not going to happen. Lets focus on the positives.
The HOMERUN hire is going nowhere!!!!

So what other option was there? You can't get worse than what I saw against Toledo.

Holding Texas to two touchdowns in their house and beating #17 Kansas is dramatic improvement since Toledo. A completely different team since that game. And yes, you can get worse, they could have folded after Toledo, but they said **** you to the fans that were bashing them (myself included) and started competing and starting to win now.

Holding Texas to two touchdowns in their house and beating #17 Kansas is dramatic improvement since Toledo. A completely different team since that game. And yes, you can get worse, they could have folded after Toledo, but they said **** you to the fans that were bashing them (myself included) and started competing and starting to win now.

I love this attitude. They can say **** you to me all they want as long as they win (not the coach, the team)

Back