1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coach Hawk

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by sliderNcider, Feb 23, 2009.

1. sliderNcider

sliderNcider MacLovin Club Member

Dear Coach Hawk,

You have done many things that get overlooked by us internet scumbags:smile2:. But, thank you for:

-Putting an emphasis on academics
    -Actually caring about this University and not just the football team
    -Recruiting good men (see Shreveport volunteer work among others)
    -Stabilizing this program when it needed this the most
    -Closing the borders and hauling in the state's and nation's best to Boulder
    -Keeping your word on recruiting Heisman type players
    -Being a man of integrity
    -Proving we can beat elite teams (Oklahoma, nearly Georgia)

I know I'm missing a lot. Looking at all of the above, nearly all of it was missing from the previous regime. A football program isn't all just about winning. It's about representing the University. Hawk makes it easy to be proud to be a Buffalo. I think a lot of you guys really look past everything Hawk has done for the University. With all that said, let's get some W's:thumbsup::gobuffs::gobuffs::gobuffs:

OUBuff and NiTownBuff like this.
  2. buffsyko

buffsyko Club Member Club Member

`
    Your list shows how much he has done outside of football and he has done a great job! Heisman type players and almost beating georgia was strange though....

3. sliderNcider

Some things players/recruits have said about Hawk:

Nate Bonsu: "I love Coach Hawkins. He is one of the coolest, most genuine people you'll ever meet in your life. That is a great man right there." (rivals snippet)

Evan Eastburn: I'm paraphrasing this because I can't find the exact quote but he said something like, "Coach Hawk cares more about his players than anyone on the country."

I've personally met Hawk and he actually gave me the time of day to talk to me. He really was an awesome guy. I'm a firm believer in good things happen to good people, I see it happening soon. GO Buffs

4. sliderNcider

Maybe I say this because I've never actually truly witnessed an elite Buff team, so I don't know how great the feeling is to watch them. But, from what I can tell, everything Hawk has done off the field has been outstanding. We'll get em this year. Shoulder to Shoulder

5. Kameltosis

Kameltosis Well-Known Member

Yeah, I kinda lul'd at the Heisman thing.

6. jjbuffs13

jjbuffs13 Well-Known Member

I would also say that the person who hired Hawk also has great intentions. Mike Bohn has progressed this University and risen above the recruiting issues we had during the previous leadership. Both Bohn and Hawkins have brought positive publicity to this University and both have done their part to make sure that these kids are recognized as student athletes, with students being the more important of the two. And for that, I give both of you a :woot:

7. SBG

SBG Formerly known as EFNMB Club Member Junta Member

Let's also not forget to mention that Hawk has tried to establish ties to the faculty. That alone is a major plus since a lot of faculty dislike the emphasis people place on sports.

8. Unleash Hell

Unleash Hell Well-Known Member

It all comes down to wins and losses though. He needs to win a minumum of 7 games this year IMO.

9. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

:yeahthat: barring some really extreme circumstances that make last years look minor, yes he does.

10. sliderNcider

I respectfully disagree, yes win, but at what costs?

11. 87toInfinity

87toInfinity Well-Known Member

I think he meant, it's great and all that Hawk is doing these things, but we aren't going to keep him around for that if he doesn't win. Community and winning is necessary.

12. Unleash Hell

Unleash Hell Well-Known Member

As it's been talked about, CU needs a 7+ win season now more than anything. It is very critical for our fan support, hawk support and overall future of CU football. 5-6 wins in year 4 and people are gonna stop the support, the recently slowed momentum we had from 2007 will cease, and it will start to be very difficult to continue recruiting like Hawk has IMO. I'm rooting for him hard this season, CU football needs it!!

13. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

Glad we agree.:smile2:

They're not mutually exclusive. No reason we can't have the on-field success and the off-field successes as well.

14. buffsyko

What cost? Good gravy, CU admissions doesn't let in kids like other big 12 schools, we don't have the money $$$$ like most of the other schools or support.

We've been doing it this way forever, what in the world would more wins cost us?

Join the IVY league if that's all that matters. You can have a great university and academics and a damn good football program too.

15. sliderNcider

I misread his post, I read it as it's all about wins and losses.

16. BuffNut99

BuffNut99 Club Member Club Member

It's been a little while, but it's a joy unlike just about anything. College football is the hardest sport for your team to do well in, because the competition is the greatest and the margin of victory is the slimmest. A MNC is better than a Super Bowl win, a Conference Championship better than any regular season accomplishment (NFL/NBA/MLB etc), a singular win more precious and valuable than any regular season game.

When the Buffs have had great teams, you watch a game knowing that you are seeing something special that you will remember for a long time. There is a feel-good confidence in knowing that you're going to win. You bond with the players that make you smile and who put you on the edge of your seat when they have the ball. We have those kinds of players - now.

I know that Hawk will get us there, and right soon. Go Buffs

NiTownBuff, SBG and 87toInfinity like this.
  17. buffsyko

In the end he's right, many coaches have done things right off the field but their w/l record got them fired.

18. AlferdJasper

AlferdJasper Well-Known Member

Nice post. Agree with all.
    It was absolutely critical that CU hire a man with integrity who could change the perception of our football program. Brought in kids with character. He's done that. Now he's working on winning, more power to him.

19. buffalo30

buffalo30 Active Member

Yes!! All of this stuff is important and I'm proud of Coach Dan for getting it done. Thanks for mentioning it. Now is the time for the past struggles to pay off.

20. DBT

DBT Club Member Club Member

Hawk will be here for as long as he wants to be here and will leave, when the time comes, on his own terms. Not because he's a great guy. But because he will win and win big. I, for one, am getting tired of the "he better win at least 7, or he's gone" stuff. I do not even think in those terms. I think in terms of, "he's a great coach and he's going to win, no doubt in my mind." Sorry, I just cannot even entertain any negative thoughts about this program. It isn't part of my psyche, I guess. :thumbsup:

21. buffsyko

Great attitude, I totally disagree but great attitude :thumbsup:

22. sliderNcider

23. AlferdJasper

AlferdJasper Well-Known Member

I like it.

24. boulderado2

boulderado2 Established 1909 Club Member

Was that your position during the regular season last year? I think I remember you melting down more than once after a loss.

Just saying.

:huh:

25. 4DemBuffs

4DemBuffs Most admired poster Club Member

he is old. cut him some slack. :smile2:

unbiasedtruth likes this.