1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coach Hawkins - Right Call in Limiting Access to Practices

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by Idot Buff, Apr 9, 2009.

1. Idot Buff

Idot Buff Club Member Club Member

Despite the insatiable apetite of loyal fans to devour every bit of information about the team, Hawk made the right move to limit practice access to fans and media. The margin for success in the Big 12 is razor thin. Considering the uphill battle that CU faces, Hawk needs every advantage to beat UT, OU, and Nebraska.

I loved the daily practice reports, but will gladly give that up if it gives Hawk what he needs to succeed. Having said that, he sure as hell better succeed! No excuses. 10 wins, baby!

Rraalph 3000 likes this.
  2. Rraalph 3000

Rraalph 3000 Well-Known Member

^^^^ exactamundo

3. Sexton Hardcastle

Sexton Hardcastle Club Member Club Member

Then why not do this from the very begining? And why call out the fans? This could've been handled better by the AD.

4. Matt

Matt Nerd Drone Pilot Club Member

I don't care that he closed Practice, I do care that they at the athletic department think us "boarders" are some evil faction of the fan base. It's like I don't run a fan site for the buffs, its like some we are some unwanted stalkers.

5. Clean Undies

Clean Undies Flagship of the 12-Pac Club Member

Hawkins has every right to lock down his practice.

What I don't understand is why the Internet is the reason for doing so.

If Hawkins would have said, "the coaches and players want some privacy", that would be something I can respect.

But to blame cell phones and internet message boards is just not good PR.

The AD sooner or later will figure out how to leverage the internet and it's users. The bunker mentality and the propensity to paint the internet and it's users as the bad guy can only backfire.

6. Rraalph 3000

I definately agree to both accords...but I'm not offended by it, since I've seen many other people on these boards call Coach Hawk and even some of our players worse names

Coach Hawk is just doing what he thinks is in the best interest of the football team....granted they could have handled it better, but it's not nearly a fiasco like the Cutler saga was

Besides....they were really only blasting SliderNCider and JJ...who really cares about them anyways :lol:

7. Sexton Hardcastle

Neither am I really. I just think there's some juvenile hostility coming from the Ath Dept aimed at the internet. If Hawkins truly believed the internet hurts his program, then why does he have a Facebook and Twitter account?

I also don't buy the "Plati begged Hawkins to let the press in practice" line they dropped. There is a lot of misinformation going on, and most of it comes from the AD.

8. Idot Buff

Idot Buff Club Member Club Member

Again....who cares? Of course, I live thousands of miles from Boulder, so it is easy for me to say. But, it is about the wins.....take care of business this year, and I could care less about this crap.

9. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

yup. dead on.

10. AlferdJasper

AlferdJasper Well-Known Member

Agreed.

If camera and camera phones were banned, but photos showed up anyway, and if reports about practices were harming the team or team morale, then Hawkins has to do what he has to do.

I read the practice reports and there would be three or four points of view - just enough to tell me that some of the reports couldn't be accurate. How do we know whether or not the scuttle butt on a forum was causing problems on the team? or that something said about a practice was something the coaches didn't want to get out?

Hawkins didn't say the FANS were the problem, he said somebody was.
    Since it wasn't me, I didn't take it personally. Having open practices was great, but it was a rare thing in the Big 12 and it's over now. I don't hold it against hawkins. I want the buffs to have every chance to win, and maybe a little privacy and a few trick plays is going to help.

11. SCB

SCB Well-Known Member

Maybe Clark Evans is mad at us? :smile2:

12. AlferdJasper

Clark Evans doesn't care if the practices are closed, he can see through walls anyway.

13. Rraalph 3000

"If I can't practice, I can't practice. It is as simple as that. It ain't about that at all. It's easy to sum it up if you're just talking about practice. We're sitting here, and I'm supposed to be the franchise player, and we're talking about practice. I mean listen, we're sitting here talking about practice, not a game, not a game, not a game, but we're talking about practice. Not the game that I go out there and die for and play every game last it's my last but we're talking about practice man. How silly is that?

Now I know that I'm supposed to lead by example and all that but I'm not shoving that aside like it don't mean anything. I know it's important, I honestly do but we're talking about practice. We're talking about practice man. We're talking about practice. We're talking about practice. We're not talking about the game. We're talking about practice. When you come to the arena, and you see me play, you've seen me play right, you've seen me give everything I've got, but we're talking about practice right now."

14. Junction

Junction Moderator Club Member

:yeahthat:

I don't have a problem with the decision, I have a problem with laying the reason for it at the feet of some of their staunchest fans.

I sure haven't seen anything here that would justify this decision. Maybe there's been something posted elsewhere - Rivals, Scout, Netturds or AZ's site, for example. They did say that a few people ruined it for everybody... :huh:

15. buffaholic

buffaholic Club Member Club Member

Do you really think that video footage of spring practice will give any of these teams a leg up on CU? Me thinks that the footage of the CSU game and every game thereafter might be more interesting to NU and folks.

I think some posters (maybe on netbuffs, who knows) went off the deep end and pissed someone off. Generally speaking, people here have reasonably informed opinions and arguments and the occassional troll get's his head handed to him. I would think that if Dan actually read this stuff, he'd see that 99% of the posters here are fans, black and gold all the way and I have a hard time believing he would be critical.

I do think the current admin is a bit sensitive on this internet board stuff. CU is one of the most technically advanced U's in the country. The Ath Dept should be making money off of us. We crave info... We like to talk with other fans re: our team. If the AD ran a site like this, they could make the rules. No Video posts or links to You-Tube. Must use real names verified by a credit card... Inside scoops on "closed practices". Watch the plays thru Cody's helmet-cam... Sell advertising on the sidebars or whatever!

I got news for CU, the internet isn't going away. Make it your friend.

16. Rraalph 3000

1. The point isn't that the video footage is going to hurt the Buffs against the rammies...it's that there are signs everywhere saying you can't do it and if someone were to misuse that priveledge CU has every right to revoke it

2. I don't think it's legal by any NCAA manner for CU to make money off of a site that fed insider info....I believe Mike Leach or someone in Texas did this for awhile and got caught

17. Sexton Hardcastle

Show me these pics that have surfaced. I haven't seen any this spring. I've been to the majority of the practices, and I haven't seen anyone that had to be told to put his cell away.

18. Rraalph 3000

I do not know that they are out there, but I haven't looked at all...my arguement was against that of saying any photos/videos would hurt the Buffs...honestly, I almost hope there is something just to validate this issue a little

And Slider did admit earlier that he got yelled at for taking his phone out

19. Liver

Liver modded mod Club Member Junta Member

they can't take the heat, methinks.

we'll be waiting on those 10+ wins, zen master.

be the bow.

20. AlferdJasper

Here are some reports from the April 6 & 7 practices. Mostly April 7.
    I picked two categories, qbs and kickers, to see how random posters, bloggers and free sites discussed (didn't include any premium articles).
    Just two categories that got a lot of comments that could be compared, somewhat apples to apples.

There isn't a lot of consistency here. Some, but not much. Read for yourself:

Now kicking-

These reports show how subjective practice appears to different eyes. every one states a number with certainty, but none match up:

For one thing, if they are trying to work out the qb battle and work on the kicker's confidence, having every little thing dissected might have been a problem, or at least something they couldn't control. But, I suspect it was more the talking about plays and formations, etc. that started being a worry.

21. zbuff

zbuff Club Member Club Member

The completely absurd aspect of this is that the practices were open. Anyone could attend, including those intending to scout for other teams - they didn't need internet reports. If you are paranoid, why would you ever open practices to anyone? And why would media bother to attend if they can't report anything? Are you kidding me?

I loved coach Hawkins, but have to admit I've lost some respect for way this was handled. I now think what Hawkins means is that he loves fans to come, but they should keep they eyes covered, ears plugged, and when they leave, mouths shut.

22. sweaty teets

sweaty teets Club Member Club Member

here's the only thing i have to say: fsu, bama, ohio state, texas, florida, etc... have THOUSANDS of fans on rivals at any given time. CU is small time when it comes to the internet and the amount of blogs and forums those teams have. they sure seem to be struggling... i dont care about closing practice, if thats going to get us over the hump, great. dont take it out on the fans who crave information about the team because they LOVE the team and the school. i'll be at scrimmage saturday with all you scumbags.

23. Hugegroove

Hugegroove Club Member Club Member

According to todays Denver Post, Hawkins went to Bohn after yesterdays practice to request practice be closed because "people can't resist the temptation to post on the internet" including the use of cell phones and cameras. But here is the part that somewhat contradicts that statement. Hawkins said " Were probably more generous than any team in the Big 12 as far as gaining access is concerned"

He also said that CU's new strategies and innovations were being circulated on the internet. Also that this took place last year and that CU personnel asked visitors not to use phones & cameras. Hmmmm?

Well then, make one entrance for all of those who want to attend and confinscate the phones & cameras of those who won't abide by the rules.

24. Lt.Col.FrankSlade

Lt.Col.FrankSlade Well-Known Member

Sounds like a coach on the hot seat.

25. AlferdJasper

I'd rather the coaches and staff were doing their jobs and not monitoring the behavior of fans at practices.

Something happened to prompt the closures, we may not know the details, but there was an event, or events that convinced Hawkins it was not in the team's best interests. Many MANY teams have closed practices, now we are just one of them.

26. jpbuff

jpbuff Active Member

It's about following the rules. You could not attend a practice without seeing the signs that tell you cell phones are NOT to be used during practice.
    Obviously some people don't think the rules pertain to them. I was on at practice this Tuesday and saw two people talking on their phones. All it takes is one douchebag not following the rules to ruin it for the rest of us.
    The scrimmages are still open to the public (right now anyway's) so let's go and enjoy them.

27. dply

dply Doble hoja Club Member

I blame Bill Belichick.

28. Clean Undies

Clean Undies Flagship of the 12-Pac Club Member

Point taken. CU < tOSU, 'Bama, USC, ect.

But I'm not reading too much into Rivals numbers. Who needs Rivals for CU coverage when you have Allbuffs?

29. Daaah

Daaah Club Member Club Member

Slider said he got yelled at for having his cell phone out.

30. sliderNcider

sliderNcider MacLovin Club Member

That was one time, just for txting. Guys around me were talking on the phone and got nothing. Hate crime IYAM:smile2: