What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Coach Jeffcoat

buffaholic

Club Member
Club Member
There was an interesting interview he did with Rivals where basically he repeated "we have to work hard and work harder" to every question and gave no information about progress, standouts, etc.

In that same thread, one of my most "favorite" posters, the legend in his own mind, stated that having two super bowl rings doesn't mean anything to young kids because they are 20 year old rings.....

Another poster suggested that he can't be too good of a coach since he went from coaching the Dallas Cowboys (when they were good) for 7 years to coaching at (UH) Houston and SJSU the last 5 years.

Thought this could make some discussion.

My thoughts:

1. Jeffcoat's motivation of where he coaches is probably different than a lot of DL coaches that are trying to make it up the ladder. (Ego and $$$ are probably not his primary concern)
2. Jeffcoat's results coaching for the Cowboys, UH, and SJSU look damn good. Really good in fact.
3. Jeffcoat is on Mac's staff because he wants to. They spent time together under Parcells.
4. Two superbowl rings as a player, top 25 all time in the NFL in sacks.... kids don't care about that stuff.

I think we are pretty damn lucky to have a guy like this and at this point in time, second guessing the guy's abilities is pretty darn laughable to me.

The one good nugget in the article is that he expects his DL guys to be lighter and more in shape, as they sometimes can't get off the field, and need to be ready to go. It's a fact of life in the PAC12 guys that teams are going to run a lot of plays and quickly and you got to defend it. Tupou at 350 won't help us in that situation.

P.S. I do not post on Rivals. I retired my account a few months back, but I do login from my buddy's account from time to time. Any information gleaned from the rivals content is shared here only to spark discussion. If this needs to be removed Mods, let me know. Adam does a great job over there btw.

Last edited:
I was impressed with Jeffcoat. Seemed to me to be a no nonsense guy. Very straight forward and articulate. I don't go to Rivals, so I don't know these posters, but I think they are way off. I think we are lucky to have him. Furthermore, I was generally impressed by a lot of our assistants. Lots of energy and good people.

i don't know how we can be critical of them at this point-- we've had smoke blown up our skirts for years by the last couple of staffs about how improved everything was going to be. i'm in wait and see mode.

i wish the staff had more proven assistants from major college ball and a couple of known great recruiters, but jeffcoat isn't one of my beefs. mm put this staff together and now they are here and they deserve a chance to do it their way.

There is a sizable portion of our battered and abused fan base that has gotten to the point where they can't accept any good news or believe in anything/anyone. Their default on coaches & players is: "If he was any good and there wasn't a fatal flaw, he wouldn't choose to be here."

Put me firmly in the "show me" camp.

However, I wouldn't go so far as to be in the camp that 'Nik describes. Mac is here as this was the next step up, and I want to believe he believes he can rebuild and have the kind of success here that we sampled over 20 years ago. Most of his assistants are here because they needed a job when Mac hired them at SJSU and they are along for the ride now. Jeffcoat is the likely exception. I think he's here because he knew Coach Mac before anyone else did. By the way, he's got 5 kids and the two youngest are not yet in High School.

Lastly, anyone remember Embree trashing Romeo Bandison (Hawkin's DL coach) last August? Here's the thread and the video (8:30 minute mark).

You won't see this from HCMM's staff. The old thread is worth looking at just to see how enthusiastic 'Nik was last August! :lol:

Embree then goes on to talk about how great the QBs look.... And how the running game is really improved.... blah blah blah

Romeo Bandison was a disaster. Tui was an improvement both in recruiting and in coaching. I think Jeffcoat is another step up from Tui.

As far as Super Bowl rings being inconsequential, it is a bit different when said coach is a household name in the DFW area, you know, where he is doing most of his recruiting.

Put me firmly in the "show me" camp.

However, I wouldn't go so far as to be in the camp that 'Nik describes. Mac is here as this was the next step up, and I want to believe he believes he can rebuild and have the kind of success here that we sampled over 20 years ago. Most of his assistants are here because they needed a job when Mac hired them at SJSU and they are along for the ride now. Jeffcoat is the likely exception. I think he's here because he knew Coach Mac before anyone else did. By the way, he's got 5 kids and the two youngest are not yet in High School.

Lastly, anyone remember Embree trashing Romeo Bandison (Hawkin's DL coach) last August? Here's the thread and the video (8:30 minute mark).

You won't see this from HCMM's staff. The old thread is worth looking at just to see how enthusiastic 'Nik was last August! :lol:

Embree then goes on to talk about how great the QBs look.... And how the running game is really improved.... blah blah blah

Haha.

****** previews and trying to rally some fan support (plus my natural inclination to think about the potential if everything breaks right) notwithstanding, I knew it was going to be bad. In 2011, Embree and staff was counting on that vet-loaded offense to carry the team. It didn't. So 2012 we were looking at a much worse offense and hoping that the defense would be able to keep us in games. I still think that if Polk and Rippy had been healthy that we would have improved on D. But that offense was hopeless unless a QB stepped up as a playmaker. Still, it shouldn't have been anywhere as bad as it was in 2012.

It's hard for me to believe the Jeffcoat name and rings don't blow parents and kids away when he walks in to a living room in Dallas.

Jeffcoat is the real deal. A lot of us wanted him to come home to ASU in the past. You will be pleased.

Heh. Saw that thread and had to laugh. Being a big part of the 90s Cowboys and recruiting in the Dallas area is kind of a big deal.

Romeo Bandison was a disaster. Tui was an improvement both in recruiting and in coaching. I think Jeffcoat is another step up from Tui.

As far as Super Bowl rings being inconsequential, it is a bit different when said coach is a household name in the DFW area, you know, where he is doing most of his recruiting.

Yes Romeo was a disaster.

But Embree was WAY out of line in that interview.

As long as CU's recruiting plans include the state of Texas, there is going to be a role for the likes of Jeffcoat.

May he please do better in the lone star state than Bobbie Kennedy, Kanavis McGhee and Denver Johnson.

#texasHSpipeline

If you spend any time with HS athletes you quickly figure out that even those who realistically have close to zero chance usually have a dream in the back of their minds of playing in the NFL. Even kids who go D2 have a small thought that if they can just get a scout's attention they might have a chance to get into a training camp.

In these kids minds superbowl rings and NFL experience does mean something and something significant even if they are too young to remember the guy playing. Jeffcoat's name and Cowboys history will mean even more in the parts of Texas that are Cowboys territory but his past should help him get in the door with recruits even outside of Texas.

Jeffcoat's a big name in Dallas.

I don't know why that is hard for Buffs fans to wrap their heads around. Think about how former Broncos are big names in the Denver metro. We're talking about a Cowboys all-time great player here.

Which is why I'm still working on my Knuckleball. I KNOW I could help the Rockies, but they won't take my calls!

by a lot of this logic, no successful coach could be over the age of 30. Jeffcoat compared to Denver Johnson recruiting Texas is a pretty big step up for us.

Back