What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Coach Mac on xfinity live Monday 6:30 pm

cruisebuff

Club Member
Club Member
Coach Mac will be on Channel 4 in Denver's Xfinity Live program - Monday 6:30 pm. Hosted by Vic Lombardi.

VicLombardi 10:44pm via TweetDeck Pleased to be joined by the legendary Bill McCartney tomorrow night on Xfinity Monday Live. Come on out to the Tavern Downtown at 6:30.

Last edited:
Here's a summary of what Coach Mac said:

Do you have any regrets you left coaching early?

I felt like I needed to be a better husband and father when I got out. So no regrets.

Why is Jon Embree a good choice for head coach?

Jon is a competitor deluxe. Everything rises and falls on leadership. This guy is a leader.

EB is the most competitive guy I ever coached. These guys are going to
recruit well. They both coached at UCLA. EB is from California. You have to
be able to recruit California to do well at CU.

Boulder is a special place. A survey was done of all the universities in the country grading them on a 1 to 5 scale in 3 areas: social, academic, and quality of life. No school scored a 15. Four schools scored a 14, and CU was one of those. CU was the only school of those four that played Division I football. (this is the same story Mac gave at the recruiting lunch)

You can sell boulder to the california kid.

when you took job nebraska was your rival, who should be CU's rival now?

I think we should choose UCLA. UCLA is an academic school, that's the
school we will have to contend with in recruiting. UCLA has USC
but they need another rival.

Why not utah?

There's no history there

what is the hardest position to recruit?

The defensive line. When they come out of high school the big
ones play in the oline. They don't develop until after you get them.
Guys that have the great instincts in the dline are very valuable. The Broncos having 2 guys coming off edge this year will change everything (assuming he meant Dumerville and #1 pick Von Miller)

There is a great tradition in football at CU, isn't there?

We currently rank #16 in all time victories. We have a great
football tradition. We take on all comers. It's a killer schedule.
The year we won the natl champ we had the nation's toughest schedule.

What should fans do to support coach embree?

Give him time. His staff is good - these guys can coach. My first
3 years I won 7 games. Give Embree time and he'll get it done.

In the 1991 Orange Bowl what do you remember most?

Charles Johnson coming off the bench. He hadn't had that much playing time during the season. He took us down the field masterfully.

What are your expectations for the 2011 Buffs?

You will be able to measure it by how well the offensive line plays. If they can run consistently they can win 7 or 8 games.

It's a wide open conference but CU will want to possess the football and play well against the run. If the oline gels and goes to hawaii and knocks them in the mouth we can get off to a good start.

I like the UCLA as a rival thing and I think it makes a lot of sense if you take a step back for a second and consider the big picture like Mac said. Good academics, same type of recruits, same division and only one rival plus the whole coaching thing built in. If we try to claim USC they will disown us like Nebraska claiming Notre Dame and UCLA as Nebraska claimed Oklahoma. I think you can have two rivals but any more than that it doesn't really make sense and I don't really think you could consider it a true rivalry.

Rivals are built, not picked. UCLA has been so irrelevant the last 20 years that I don't want them as a rival. I want CU to be back to glory and we then are kicking butt and our rival will be USC. Aiming for the also-ran UCLA makes no sense to me.

I would guess Embree and EB won't say it now, but in their minds, they are going after USC. One step at a time, but you got to have dreams.

I'm pretty sure CU has more history in football against Utah than they do against UCLA...

I watched the show and Mac spoke to Vince pretty much the same way he speaks to any group of people. His voice inflection and look you in the eye approach always has your attention. Although I don't know why he went on record as saying ucla should become our rival?

I watched the show and Mac spoke to Vince pretty much the same way he speaks to any group of people. His voice inflection and look you in the eye approach always has your attention. Although I don't know why he went on record as saying ucla should become our rival?

It still stings to think about JFly and Cobra Kai defecting to lala land.

It still stings to think about JFly and Cobra Kai defecting to lala land.

+ Tricky Ricky and our current coaches past at UCLA. Since we aim to recruit LA, it really must be a California school within our division, so why not UCLA. Add in the fact that our basketball team will rivals theirs soon :smile2: and it just makes sense.

I also believe a natural rival will develop in time.

Mac targeted the nubs as a "rival" to get the team's attention. He needed something for them to rally around. Going into a new conference, that just isn't available to us. These things take time. The comment about there not being enough history with Utah is puzzling, though. Haven't we played them something like 40 times? True, the vast majority of those games were played before DBT was born, but still, there's history.

Mac targeted the nubs as a "rival" to get the team's attention. He needed something for them to rally around. Going into a new conference, that just isn't available to us. These things take time. The comment about there not being enough history with Utah is puzzling, though. Haven't we played them something like 40 times? True, the vast majority of those games were played before DBT was born, but still, there's history.

And I think the last game they kept us out of the Skyline Bowl or something, let's get that bad blood boiling again!

I think he meant recent history. We have much more recent history with UCLA; coaches, losing/winning head to head recruiting battles, defections.

I think McCartney is wrong by his own premise of a rival. He declared Nebraska our rival because they were the standard he wanted our program to aim for. UCLA is maybe equal to Colorado as a program. He should know that we want to aim for USC as a standard for success.

I am starting to think: why name a rival? It made perfect sense in Coach Mac's day - we played Nebraska every year and the Cornhuskers were consistently one of the top teams in the country. In the Pac 12 the only team in our division who might fit that bill is USC, but that program currently is not what it was a few years ago under Pete Carroll. If we were in Oregon's division the Ducks would be a great choice (we already have a pretty good history with them from past bowl games and regular season matchups), but we don't play Oregon every year.

Maybe when you were a kid. :smile2:

More like when DBT was a kid... :lol:

I can see the reasons for UCLA as a rival (although I agree it goes against Mac's grounds for picking the Corn as a rival), I just don't quite get him citing "history" for picking them over Utah. If you want a standard for us to shoot for, I'd pick whOregon or U$C, only without the cheating. If you want a historical rival in the Pac-12, the most logical choice from CU history is Utah. If you want to look at the last couple decades, there isn't much history on the field with anybody. Washington as much as anybody, probably... And I'm not sure you build a rivalry based on the movement of coaches (only a couple of whom went directly from one school to the other, and we've got them back) and a couple transfers who are going to be gone before we really get out feet wet in the Pac-12.

Football wasnt even invented yet when DBT was a kid, get it right. Imho, U$C is who we should aim at simply because they are who everybody thinks of when you say Pac-10, oops Pac 12 lol.

If you want to look at the last couple decades, there isn't much history on the field with anybody. Washington as much as anybody, probably...

I think we have a good history with Oregon, with each side having their share of victories:

1967 Colorado 17 Oregon 13 at Eugene (with Bobby Anderson at quarterback for the Buffs)
1968 Colorado 28 Oregon 7 at Boulder
1978 Colorado 24 Oregon 7 at Boulder
1979 Oregon 33 Colorado 19 at Boulder
1984 Oregon 27 Colorado 20 at Eugene (the Ed Reinhardt game - a bond was formed between the two programs after Ed was seriously injured during the game)
1985 Colorado 21 Oregon 17 at Boulder (I was at this game in Boulder sitting next to the Oregon section - a key goal line stand won it for the Buffs at the end. Important game in Mac's turn around 7-5 season after going 1-10 the year before)
1986 Oregon 32 Colorado 30 at Eugene (tough loss for the buffs on their way to a 0-4 start, but later in the year Mac got his big upset of Nebraska)
1987 Oregon 10 Colorado 7 at Boulder
1995 Colorado 38 Oregon 6 (Cotton Bowl - as I remember the Ducks were mad at Neu for running up the score)
1998 Colorado 51 Oregon 43 (Aloha Bowl)
2001 Oregon 38 Colorado 16 (Fiesta Bowl - Ducks get revenge for previous two bowl losses, big disappointment for the Buffs in an otherwise great year)

If Oregon was in our division they'd be a great rival.

Didn't read the thread except for OP. But one thing stuck out and that is the rival conversation. Honestly, I don't want to pick a rival. I also don't care if a rivalry is found. I want every single team we play, from the ****** to the good, to ****ing hate us. I want to be the most hated team in the country. I want others schools to fear playing us and to gameplan for weeks to try and beat us. At that point, nothing matters except for us, and that is the way it should be. **** everybody up, treat every team like they are the next bitch in line, and walk off the field shaking hands of the players you pussified. **** everybody.

Didn't read the thread except for OP. But one thing stuck out and that is the rival conversation. Honestly, I don't want to pick a rival. I also don't care if a rivalry is found. I want every single team we play, from the ****** to the good, to ****ing hate us. I want to be the most hated team in the country. I want others schools to fear playing us and to gameplan for weeks to try and beat us. At that point, nothing matters except for us, and that is the way it should be. **** everybody up, treat every team like they are the next bitch in line, and walk off the field shaking hands of the players you pussified. **** everybody.
I like your style.

Exactly. **** 'em all up. Let God sort 'em out.

Back