What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Coach X On Summer Recruiting

Goose

Hoops Moderator
Club Member
Junta Member
Eamonn Brennan has a nice summary of the latest "Coach X" article from ESPN Insider. I'm not a fan of ESPN, but I really enjoy the "Coach/Athlete X" articles they do and this one delivers as well. It talks about how hard it is to recruit now that they've limited recruiting times and if they really wanted to help they would actually change the recruiting rules so they more closely resembled the women's game.

Money quote:

Right now we've got two evaluation periods in July that total 20 days, plus 161 days from October to March. And it's tough to get on the road during the academic year, when I'm focused on my team. I promised my recruits and their families that I'd help them mature, and I'm supposed to leave campus every free moment to see a high school game? So, basically we get a couple of days at the big sneaker camps in July or one or two visits to the kid's high school to see whether he'd be a good fit. That's where the NCAA has really hamstrung the coaches. The recruiting period gets shorter, you have only a finite period of time to see a kid and it forces coaches to go off recruiting lists. And people are shocked that there are more transfers than ever? We make mistakes.

Difficulties create opportunities for an up and coming program. NCAA mistakes work for us in this case, I think.

Agreed. The key is to take advantage of our opportunities. We can't afford a Darrel Scott type situation in basketball. If we do land a 5* big hype guy, he has to be a home run to prove to the others that this is a good place to go. I like our odds with Tad, but it is a concern.

Agreed. The key is to take advantage of our opportunities. We can't afford a Darrel Scott type situation in basketball. If we do land a 5* big hype guy, he has to be a home run to prove to the others that this is a good place to go. I like our odds with Tad, but it is a concern.

If we can sign a 5*, I'm willing to take the risk. :smile2:

Agreed. But I just don't want us getting the designation of being a bad place for 5* players to go.

I hear you. If a Duke or Kansas signs a 5* who flames out, the player gets blamed rather than the coaches or system. They move on. We're not at a point where we'd have that luxury. It would be serious bad mojo in basketball circles.

Back