1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coaching a massive concern -- my top 10 issues

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by Sportsfan101, Sep 7, 2009.

1. Sportsfan101

Sportsfan101 Active Member

Our coaching is atrocious. I've been a Hawk supporter, but last night may have been the last straw. Our coaching was as bad as I've ever seen at CU (and I'm an old man). Inexcusable.

1. Get the offensive play in faster. Stop Cody running over to the sidelines between plays to get the next play. Signal the play in. We have no time to audible, and Cody was snapping the ball on "0" all game long. Very frustrating.

2. Don't shuffle defensive packages so much. Let the kids on the field get into a rhythm. We looked very confused pre-snap defensively. Let's focus on the basics, and get the players lined up and ready to go.

3. Our offensive skill position players last night were potentially the worst I've ever seen from a CU team, in large part because we don't play our athletes. Where the heck was Darrell Scott last night? Brian Lockridgde? Stewart? [edit: Stewart reinjured his hammy] Our skill position players (Espinoza, McKnight and Sumler) may not be as good as Mullen High School's skill position players.

4. Let's do a little self-scouting. Sumler in the game = pass.

5. WAAAY too many unsportsmanlike penalties. For a team that wasn't ready to play, that's a major disappointment. Shows a lack of coachng.

6. Show some ingenuity on offense. I thought this was supposed to be Hawk's strength. If Hanson isn't going to redshirt this year, split him out and run a reverse QB pass. Put him at TB and run a TB pass. Heck, he has to be as good a WR as Jason Espinoza. Put Speedy in the slot. Play Lockridge in the slot. Get our athletes the ball in space. Try a trick play. Anything.

7. Why are we running the sprint out pass to Cody's left, forcing him to throw against his body, as much as we do? Bad coaching.

8. Why wasn't the team ready to play in the first half? In the FIRST GAME OF THE SEASON? Inexcusable.

9. Jason Espinoza?

10. Demetrius Sumler?

Buffy-too and FChairbanks like this.
  2. Sportsfan101

Sportsfan101 Active Member

Just writing that pissed me off.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2009
  3. BroncoBuff

BroncoBuff New Member

Great post, all good concerns ... I think the whole board is on the same page.

The horrible clock management is all on the head coach.

4. aik

aik Club Member Club Member

Yes. Unfortunately, CU coaching caught on to that one at halftime and spent the second half playing him in all situations to atone for their blunder.

5. Rraalph 3000

Rraalph 3000 Well-Known Member

Defintately true...of course, since Mullen is the only football team left that isn't a giant disappointment to me, I might be drinking the Kool Aid.

Good God...I've been saying this for 2 years...WTF is with this constant play call, I mean it's not like Cody doesn't have enough trouble throwing the ball when he's flat footed with time, let alone having him throw against his body on the run????? :wow:

Good lord I wish CU had a hip hop/rap degree last night