What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Coaching carousel in full spin...

WVU short list includes Terry "the weeble wobble" Bowden, Jim Grobe and Todd Graham. Others on the list include an asst. on the UF staff named, no kidding, Doc Holliday. Does anybody think a coach named Doc Holliday at WVU wouldn't be hilarious?

Dark horse Big 12 coach who could do well at WVU, Mangino. No news, just pure speculation on my part. My $$$ is on Graham. Young, dynamic and has WVU ties.

Grobe's not going there, he might interview, but he's a Marshall man who has no intention of going to WVU.

Todd Graham and Terry Bowden are 1a and 1b on their list, then it goes to Bud Foster or Doc Holliday.

Any new news on the fUCLA job?

Just that they're having a hard time, since USC's budget for their two coordinators is about the same as UCLA's budget for ALL of the assistants they're having a tough going.

I think I read over the weekend they're bringing in Slick Rick and Chow for interviews.

Any new news on the fUCLA job?

Last I heard they interviewed the Trickster. But that was Friday. Herm Edwards apparently said he wasn't intertested over the weekend which probably means they are ironing out the contract details now.:lol:

Anybody but me think that Terry Bowden has been out of the game too long to be any good? He's been out of coaching for what, 10 years? A lot has changed in the last 10 years.

Anybody but me think that Terry Bowden has been out of the game too long to be any good? He's been out of coaching for what, 10 years? A lot has changed in the last 10 years.

I think so. I hope he takes it, as a WVU hater, I want to see them suck :)

If Graham gets the WVU job, which I think he will, Larry Coker will get the Tulsa job if he wants it.

I think so. I hope he takes it, as a WVU hater, I want to see them suck :)

If Graham gets the WVU job, which I think he will, Larry Coker will get the Tulsa job if he wants it.

OK, it's a rumor, but it's a darn good one.

Apparently $aban has interest in the WVU job because the "bammers are driving him nuts. If that happens I might need surgery on my funny bone.:lol::lol::lol:

OK, it's a rumor, but it's a darn good one.

Apparently has interest in the WVU job because the "bammers are driving him nuts. If that happens I might need surgery on my funny bone.:lol::lol::lol:

it's a big time rumor. they could barely afford the $2m per year for RR.

Spoke to one of my friends, an attorney back home who is one of the top boosters to the WVU program. Said he talked to Rich yesterday and Rich assured him that he had nothing to worry about, etc.

He finds out that from the WVU AD that Rich agreed to a deal with Michigan at the meeting on Friday, came back to Morgantown on Friday and coached practice, went to the WVU Fiesta Bowl presser on Saturday morning, sat in with the team meetings on Saturday, then he went into WVU's AD office and said, "Let's work out a deal for my buyout, I'm leaving." Then he left the ADs office and went to his office and called recruits all night recruiting them for Michigan, etc. At 1:30pm ET today he went into a meeting with his players and spoke to them for like 2 minutes, told them he was going to Michigan and left. A couple of the players tried to ask him some questions, he ignored them and walked right out.

Wow. If that's true than Rich Rodriguez is an...

asshole.gif

So if he coaches through Jan 3 then Michigan has to pay $4mm. Sounds like there is a lot of bad blood between RR and WVU and the WVU players which doesn't make for much of a game. I bet the Fiesta Bowl would like to have Missouri now. :smile2:

So Rick gets the gig at UCLA. Sounds like a lot of people took a pass on that one. Al Golden, possibly Mariucci, Chow, Belotti, Petersen, Leach, June Jones...maybe all those guys weren't really on UCLA's radra but it does look like Rick was not necessarily the first choice. Why wouldn't UCLA be a plum job? I can't figure that one out.

WVU is the last big gig floating around now. It will be interesting to see what happens since the Buffs play them next year.

Apparently, DeWayne Walker, the DC at UCLA, is joining Willingham at UW. Good move IMO. Paging Mr. Christoff.....

Last edited:
Bill Stewart gets the WVU gig. That pretty much wraps up the carousel this year, except for SMU, who is supposedly pursuing June Jones. Looks like GB isn't going to get the job. IMO, GB would be a good choice for SMU, but I imagine Jones will do well also.

This is a done deal? Damn. I like the guy from what I saw last night, but that was quick. Doubt he was even a consideration until that win.

Word on the street is he and the WVU pres. cut a deal last night after the game. A presser is set for today at 11 a.m. I thought the CMU guy was a lock but I guess they decided to go in house. I can't really blame them after last night.

Word on the street is he and the WVU pres. cut a deal last night after the game. A presser is set for today at 11 a.m. I thought the CMU guy was a lock but I guess they decided to go in house. I can't really blame them after last night.

He's a pretty emotional guy - seemed to be crying a lot on the sidelines. :cry: 'Tho after one of the many TDs, he grabbed Pat White on the sidelines and told the kid he loved him. Although cheesy, the players obviously responded to him & the staff after RR left them.

To me the WVU hire seems like it's extremely emotional. I don't know much about Bill Stewart, but he made himself a lot of money by wining last night. I suspect if WVU did win last night, he's not the coach.

To me the WVU hire seems like it's extremely emotional. I don't know much about Bill Stewart, but he made himself a lot of money by wining last night. I suspect if WVU did win last night, he's not the coach.

It's emotional and financial. I guarantee Stewart comes at a fraction of the price T. Bowden or any other candidates would have required. At WVU that's a big consideration.

He's a pretty emotional guy - seemed to be crying a lot on the sidelines. :cry: 'Tho after one of the many TDs, he grabbed Pat White on the sidelines and told the kid he loved him. Although cheesy, the players obviously responded to him & the staff after RR left them.

One word. Continuity.

Rumors are out there that Pete Carroll is talikng shop with the Atlanta Falcons. Anybody else hearing this?

Who is this guy the Raven's hired?

Ravens hire Harbaugh as new head coach
Associated Press
OWINGS MILLS, Md. -- All the time he spent in the background as an assistant paid off for John Harbaugh, who welcomed the "opportunity of a career" Saturday upon being introduced as the new head coach of the Baltimore Ravens.

Harbaugh brings 24 years of coaching experience with him, even though he has never been in charge of an offense or a defense. That only intensified the excitement he derived from becoming the third head coach in the 12-year history of the franchise.

Baltimore Ravens
Complete coverage:
Video | Schedule | Stats
Roster | Depth chart | Transactions
Official team site: BaltimoreRavens.com
"I'm a football coach. I've been a football coach for a long time," Harbaugh said. "I'm proud to be the football coach of the Baltimore Ravens."

Harbaugh had an unspectacular playing career as a defensive back at Miami (Ohio) before starting his coaching career as a running backs/outside linebackers coach at Western Michigan in 1984. He was an assistant at the college level with Pittsburgh, Morehead State, Cincinnati before joining the Philadelphia Eagles as special teams coach in 1998.

Harbaugh was promoted to secondary coach last season, and this month emerged among six candidates to replace Brian Billick as the leader of the Ravens.

"There are ways to prepare to be a head coach. I'm proud of the path I took," Harbaugh said. "You pay attention to detail, you do the best job you can, and good things happen."

With his wife and parents sitting in the front row of an auditorium at the team training complex, the 45-year-old Harbaugh said, "This is the opportunity of a career, and it's a dream of ours we've had for a long time. We can't wait to get started."

He didn't care that the Ravens first offered the job to Dallas Cowboys offensive coordinator Jason Garrett, who turned down the bid after receiving a raise from Cowboys owner Jerry Jones and a promotion to assistant head coach.

"As far as being perceived as the second choice ... that's irrelevant to me," Harbaugh said. "I never thought about it in those terms, never would. It doesn't matter. It's an opportunity to go forward. I know they looked at six great coaches here, any one of whom could have done a great job. I feel fortunate to be the one that's going to get the shot."

When he fired Billick on Dec. 31, Ravens owner Steve Bisciotti said the decision was the result of a "gut feeling." Choosing Harbaugh was no different.

Before becoming owner of the Ravens, Bisciotti took pride in hiring young, untested people for Aerotek, a highly successful staffing company in the aerospace and technology sectors. He used that method in choosing Harbaugh over an experienced head coach like Marty Schottenheimer.

"Do I like a guy that has to earn his resume? Yeah. I kind of made a living on hiring people with thin resumes and it's worked out pretty well for me in the last 25 years," Bisciotti said. "I think that works to John's advantage. I said three weeks ago you have to take chances to be successful. You have to be willing to do things that the masses wouldn't do, or I don't think you will be able to separate yourself from the masses.

"Is it a little bit more of a perceived chance? Yeah, but the time we spent with John Harbaugh gave me a comfort level that we hired the right guy," the owner said. "You go with your instincts, and I have pretty good instincts."

Harbaugh inherits a team that followed a 13-3 season with a 5-11 disappointment in 2007. His first task will be to assemble a staff; Bisciotti said Ravens defensive coordinator Rex Ryan, who was dismissed with Billick, will be asked back if he doesn't get hired as head coach of the Atlanta Falcons.

Ryan was one of six candidates interviewed for the job in Baltimore. Only Garrett and Harbaugh received a second interview. New York Jets offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer, Marty's son, was among those interviewed in early January.

Ravens general manager Ozzie Newsome said Saturday that Marty Schottenheimer did not wish to be a candidate for the job until Baltimore dismissed his son as an option.

Harbaugh is the product of a football family. His father, Jack, is former head coach at Western Kentucky and his brother, Jim, is head coach at Stanford and a former quarterback with the Ravens. John Harbaugh learned plenty from those two, but also gave thanks to former Eagles head coach Ray Rhodes for hiring him as special teams coach in 1998, and to current Philadelphia coach Andy Reid.

"I wouldn't be sitting here with this chance if it wasn't for Andy Reid," Harbaugh said. "He's been my mentor for nine years now."

Now, it's time to see what the student can do. Harbaugh acknowledged that some might question his credentials, but stressed that as a special teams coach he had to deal with every player on the 53-man roster, which of course is part of the job description for his new post.

"A lot of people don't realize you are handling the entire team every single day," he said. "You're dealing with offensive linemen, defensive backs, wide receivers. They're all a little bit different. You also get to deal with the young guys."

Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis isn't a special teams player, and he isn't young. But establishing a rapport with the unquestioned team leader is a must for Harbaugh, and Bisciotti envisions player and coach having a strong relationship.

"I don't know where Ray is right now. He may be in Jamaica, but I guarantee you that the minute he hears this, he's going to start thinking, 'How can I help this coach be a great coach?"' Bisciotti said. "And that's a great place to start off on this team."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80614e90&template=with-video&confirm=true

Not surprising...

Sparano reunited with Parcells, named Dolphins head coach
Associated Press
DAVIE, Fla. -- Tony Sparano is going to work for Bill Parcells again, this time as coach of the Miami Dolphins.

Sparano, who had been the Dallas Cowboys' assistant head coach, accepted a job offer Wednesday from new Miami boss Parcells. The two worked together with the Cowboys when Parcells was head coach in 2003-06.

Recent Dolphins head coaches
Name Years Record Win pct.
Cam Cameron 2007 1-15 .063
Nick Saban 2005-06 15-17 .469
Jim Bates 2004 3-4 .429
Dave Wannstedt* 2000-04 42-31 .575
* Wannstedt also posted a 1-2 playoff record, going 1-1 in 2000 and 0-1 in 2001.
"I've coached for a lot of people and worked for a lot of great coaches," Sparano said at a news conference. "Coach Parcells has taught me the most and prepared me the most for this job. ...

"I know Coach Parcells is here as a resource for me, and I'm going to use him as much as I can."

Sparano becomes the Dolphins' fifth head coach since 2004. Parcells, named the Dolphins executive vice president of football operations on Dec. 27, was on the job for only a week before he fired Cam Cameron, who went 1-15 in his first year as an NFL head coach.

The 46-year-old Sparano became available when the Cowboys lost their playoff game to the New York Giants on Sunday. He has been the front-runner for the Dolphins job since the start of their search.

"I'm prepared," Sparano said. "I'm confident in myself."

Sparano flew in from Dallas on Tuesday evening and had dinner with a group that included Parcells and Dolphins owner Wayne Huizenga. Sparano arrived at the team complex on Wednesday morning accompanied by new Miami general manager Jeff Ireland. Huizenga soon joined them, and an hour later an agreement was reached.

Ireland, who spent the past seven years in player personnel with the Cowboys, first interviewed Sparano in Dallas on Jan. 5.

"When Bill and I discussed what we were looking for in a head coach, we talked about one of high character," Ireland said. "We wanted someone who understood how to develop young players, one who could instill a culture that's all about winning.

"We think we found that guy. We know we found that guy."

Parcells and Huizenga also attended the news conference but didn't talk to reporters.

Others interviewed by the Dolphins were Minnesota Vikings defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier, former Baltimore Ravens defensive coordinator Rex Ryan and Tennessee Titans defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz. But none of them could rival Sparano's ties to Parcells and Ireland.

Howard Smith / US PRESSWIRE
Tony Sparano becomes the fifth Miami head coach since 2004.
"I know what the people here are capable of, and I'm excited about that," Sparano said. "I'm just happy to be part of the family."

Sparano also interviewed for head jobs with the Ravens and Atlanta Falcons, but he had been widely expected to join the Dolphins.

Sparano is a native of New Haven. His only head coaching experience was at New Haven in 1994-98. His team was NCAA Division II runner-up in 1997.

The Dolphins have repeatedly tapped the Dallas pipeline since the arrival of Parcells. Former Cowboys assistant David Lee was hired as quarterbacks coach, and on Tuesday, Brian Gaine was hired as assistant director of player personnel after three years as the Cowboys' assistant director of pro scouting.

Sparano joined Parcells in Dallas in 2003 as tight ends coach, became offensive line coach in 2005 and called plays for Parcells in 2006. He was promoted to assistant head coach last February.

Miami's search has been much less extensive than a year ago, when at least a dozen coaches were interviewed and Huizenga traveled as far as Costa Rica to meet with potential candidates.

The Dolphins are coming off the worst season in team history. They lost their first 13 games and missed the playoffs for the sixth consecutive year, extending a franchise record.

The coach's office became a revolving door in 2004, when Dave Wannstedt quit after nine games and was replaced by Jim Bates. Nick Saban became the coach in 2005, but lasted only two years before leaving for Alabama.

"I'm here because I believe I can handle this job," Sparano said. "I can't be concerned with what happened in the past."

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80606c27&template=with-video&confirm=true

New Haven lost that game 51-0 to none other than Joe Glenn and UNC.

Last edited:
Back