What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Coaching carousel in full spin...

Mike Leach to Ark

No way...that will be the laugher of the century. They actually have DL in the SEC. If you can pressure Leach with only your front four, you can watch that O go down the tubes. Oh yeah, most teams can run the ball in the SEC too. That always seemed to help TT's O. Urban Meyer's spread works because they have an option element which keeps the DL honest. I pity the poor kid who has to run Leach's gimmick in the SEC. TT lived on OOC patsies, Baylor and ekeing out 2-3 more wins v. Okie lite and the north. Sure on paper they look great going 7-5 or 8-4 every year with a big upset every two to three years, but the bulk of their wins came against patsies. There are very few patsies in the SEC. If Leach goes to Hogville I predict he'll get eaten early. It will be completely entertaining though, since I have relatives who are Arky grads.:smile2:

Spread option and a true spread attack are two very different animals. And I agree that Leachs will probably not work in the SEC.

I don't think Leach will be especially successful either, but not because it is a worse fit in the SEC than the B12. The premise of the two offenses is comparable--primarily short passes with substantial gaps between linemen. If you look at Meyer's pass to run ratio at Utah, I bet it would be comparable to Leach's ratio currently.

The other key to Meyer's success is having a competent DC already in place in Charlie Strong. Leach will flounder if he can't get a better D on the field than he has mustered at Tech.

Tech has usually finished 3rd or 4th in the b12 south. I would expect comparable finishes in the SEC West.

yeah, Urban Meyer really flopped over there with his spread O:lol:

Urban Meyer runs the spread offense, but he actually runs the ball. Running the ball is important in the SEC. Here are the rushing offense rankings of their teams during their careers:

Urban Meyer
2001 (Bowling Green)-46th
2002 (Bowling Green)-11th
2003 (Utah)-48th
2004 (Utah)-13th
2005 (Florida)-56th
2006 (Florida)-38th
2007 (Florida)-26th

Mike Leach
2000-113th
2001-113th
2002-108th
2003-104th
2004-112th
2005-104th
2006-112th
2007-119th

You can't win in the SEC if you don't run the ball.

Urban Meyer runs the spread offense, but he actually runs the ball. Running the ball is important in the SEC. Here are the rushing offense rankings of their teams during their careers:

Urban Meyer
2003 (Utah)-48th
2004 (Utah)-13th
2005 (Florida)-56th
2006 (Florida)-38th
2007 (Florida)-26th

Mike Leach
2000-113th
2001-113th
2002-108th
2003-104th
2004-112th
2005-104th
2006-112th
2007-119th

People used to say the same thing in the Big 12.

Personally, I don't think Leach is an improvement over Nutt. Both occasionally rise up and win games they shouldn't (Oklahoma/LSU) an both generally drop down and lose games they probably shouldn't.

Running the ball is important in the B12, too. Very few teams (any?) have ever won the B12 with a non-existent running game.

KU, Mizzou and OU all averaged over 170 yards rushing per game this year. KU and OU were close to 200 a game.

EDIT: Cool thing to note - CU played 4 of the top 7 scoring offenses in the country this year (KU, Mizzou, OU, TT) and went 2-2 vs them. Only Mizzou topped their season average vs. CU.

Last edited:
As the carousel spins...

Houston radio reporting Art Briles the next coach to tempt fate at the coach killing institution known as Baylor. good news for the Buffs if we tangle with Houston high in the TX bowl. Major distractions can only help the Buffs.

Urban Meyer
2003 (Utah)-48th
2004 (Utah)-13th
2005 (Florida)-56th
2006 (Florida)-38th
2007 (Florida)-26th

Mike Leach
2000-113th
2001-113th
2002-108th
2003-104th
2004-112th
2005-104th
2006-112th
2007-119th

Damn BB, nice work. I will concede there is a bigger discrepancy than I thought. I still think the biggest issue Leach will have is getting a better DC.

Also, after looking over the SEC West, I better revise my prediction on where he will consistently finish. With Tuberville, Miles, and Saban in place, I guess he will do no better than 4th. Considering I already said Nutt is a better coach, I better put Ole Miss ahead as well, and I am a Croom fan, they have seemed to turn a corner at MSU, so I will put them ahead as well.

So I think he'll consistently be last:huh:

Fayetteville NC paper list BILL CALLAHAN as a potential coach candidate for Duke. Now you know why they call it the silly season....

Fayetteville NC paper list BILL CALLAHAN as a potential coach candidate for Duke. Now you know why they call it the silly season....

Well the good thing about Duke is they don't really have a "historied" football program, so he won't have too much to ruin there! :wow:

Well the good thing about Duke is they don't really have a "historied" football program, so he won't have too much to ruin there! :wow:

He will prolly be fine if he just leaves Cosgrove behind..when you have to score in the 60's and 70's just to stay in games, it's tough to pull out many W's.

As the carousel spins...

Houston radio reporting Art Briles the next coach to tempt fate at the coach killing institution known as Baylor. good news for the Buffs if we tangle with Houston high in the TX bowl. Major distractions can only help the Buffs.

7 x 1.7m

He's making $700k more per year than Hawk!

footballscoop lists Charlie Strong as the top candidate for Arkansas, so maybe they aren't dumb enough to hire Leach. (If you missed Paige's column this morning, he begs for Strong at CSU, so maybe the Razorbacks will have tough competition from Fort Fun:smile2:)

HOWEVER, footballscoop also says if UCLA can't beat USC this week he is gonzo, and lists Leach as their candidate. What is it with this guy:confused:

footballscoop lists Charlie Strong as the top candidate for Arkansas, so maybe they aren't dumb enough to hire Leach. (If you missed Paige's column this morning, he begs for Strong at CSU, so maybe the Razorbacks will have tough competition from Fort Fun:smile2:)

HOWEVER, footballscoop also says if UCLA can't beat USC this week he is gonzo, and lists Leach as their candidate. What is it with this guy:confused:

I posted it in the other thread, there is a growing clamor in LA for Slick Rick to UCLA

I posted it in the other thread, there is a growing clamor in LA for Slick Rick to UCLA

If either Slick Rick or Leach goes to UCLA, any running back considering that program should run like hell. Possibly the two worst possible head coaches for building a strong running game... :huh: (Are you listening, D-Scott?? :cool:)

Some are saying Lane Kiffin is ready to leave Raiderland and head to Arky...now that would be interesting.

Some are saying Lane Kiffin is ready to leave Raiderland and head to Arky...now that would be interesting.

That would be beyond interesting. That would be absolutely amazing, and funnier than hell. If Kiffin cuts out on the faders after one yera to go back to college, who the hell would they ever get to replace him.

And if he is looking to return to college, UCLA would be crazy not to throw everything they have at landing him rather than pursuing Neuweasel...

That would be beyond interesting. That would be absolutely amazing, and funnier than hell. If Kiffin cuts out on the faders after one yera to go back to college, who the hell would they ever get to replace him.

And if he is looking to return to college, UCLA would be crazy not to throw everything they have at landing him rather than pursuing Neuweasel...

That would cement Oakland's reputation as the laughingstock of the league. I'm all for it.:thumbsup:

Is the crypt keeper Frank Broyles still the AD at Hogville? He must be 108.

Correction Broyles is 109 and don't you forget it.:thumbsup: He is retiring this January and Jeff Long will take over as AD. Frank had a great run and he is as good as they come in my book.

Back