What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Coaching carousel...

wonder what desertdawg things of this...... :smile2:

DD thinks that it's amazing people still know there is a Husky team. That's a positive sign for Husky Football:huh:

I have no feelings toward Husky Football until Ty is gone. He's the worst Husky coach ever, captain of the 4th all-time worst Pac-10 coaching stint, he's put the 2-3 worst all-time defenses on the field, he's off to the worst season since 1969 and will make it at best a tie for the worst Husky season ever. He's 11-31 at UW, 6-31 in conference games and has alienated fans and boosters in a fashion never before seen at UW. At least North Texas is the only other Div I school without a win. Great company. UW is the only school from a BCS conference without a win. I will enjoy watching ND maul the 'Dawgs today as it is only one more nail in Ty's coffin.

Ty has banned former players from the sidelines and from the UW gym. In honor of one of our most important teams (the '77-'78 Rose Bowl winners) last weekend, he gave them each one ticket in the nosebleed section of the endzone bleachers, he wouldn't allow their family members to attend the game, and in order to go to the banquet honoring the players they had to pay $$$$ to attend. Ty isn't even a man of integrity IMO. He's a man who needs complete control, and he's a horrible coach with a career losing record..

If and/or when the "W" stands for Washington and not Willingham, I can support them again. For now... F*** 'em.

Last edited:
I'm surprised not only that Ty hasn't done well at UW, but that he's done so poorly. After all, he took Stanford to the Rose Bowl one year and took the irish to a BCS bowl, so he's had success as a head coach before.

I'm surprised not only that Ty hasn't done well at UW, but that he's done so poorly. After all, he took Stanford to the Rose Bowl one year and took the irish to a BCS bowl, so he's had success as a head coach before.

Remember the media 4 years ago saying that Ty never had a chance with his own players at ND and was unjustly fired?

Look at when he won with Stanford and when he won at ND.

And now look at the lack of depth those programs had after his departure. Stanford is finally becoming good (sort of), ND still is a laughing stock, and it's easier to recruit there than any place in this nation IMO.

Ty's (bowl) wins were NOT with his players. He's possibly the worst recruiter in the history of college football. But he has put players into the NFL. So maybe it's less a matter of recruiting (he's had one solid class in his 4 years at UW), and more a matter of poor coaching. I think if he led the Trojans against Baylor it would be a 3 point game, IMHO. He's a poor recruiter and an even worse coach. He had our star QB break his hand this year for throwing a block for our RB. He is screwing many of "his" kids out of NFL careers because they aren't getting adequate coaching. For good sportsmanship, the UW now plays season highlights of the opposition on the Jumbo Tron to make them feel welcome in our stadium. We're losing boosters that contribute over $250k yearly left and right.

In the words of Ty, "we just need more bullets". IMO... that starts at the top!

This is year 4 of Ty-ball, and the majority of "his" players are now the starters. The only win possible this year for UW is Wazzou, who would probably lose to Northern Colorado this year. And we can still lose that game to make it our first winless season ever.

:saythat:

Last edited:
Ty announces he will resign at the end of the year at UW. No surprise there, really.

Who's on the short list Petersen, Muschamp, Pinkel?

Ty announces he will resign at the end of the year at UW. No surprise there, really.

Who's on the short list Petersen, Muschamp, Pinkel?

1. Mora
2. Pat Hill (Fresno State)
3. Petersen or Pinkel
4. Christiansen (Mizzou O.C.)
5. Graham (Tulsa) or Muschamp

I would be thrilled with Mora (rumor is there is an "out" in the Seahawk contract), and very happy with either Hill or Petersen.

Rumor is Nick Saban, while talking to our President a few months ago (who hired Saban to LSU originally), pointed a finger to Pat Hill as being the best candidate.

My top 3.... Mora, Mora and/or Mora. He would be phenomenal at UW.

I don't know enough about Graham though he has Tulsa playing great right now (possible BCS buster this year). Muschamp and Christiansen I'm not sure about due to their lack of experience.

Getting Ty out is step #1. I'm very happy right now.:thumbsup:

1. Mora
3. Petersen or Pinkel

I would be thrilled with Mora (rumor is there is an "out" in the Seahawk contract), and very happy with either Hill or Petersen.

Rumor is Nick Saban, while talking to our President a few months ago (who hired Saban to LSU originally), pointed a finger to Pat Hill as being the best candidate.

I don't know enough about Graham though he has Tulsa playing great right now (possible BCS buster this year). Muschamp and Christiansen I'm not sure about due to their lack of experience.

I notice you don't even discuss Pinkel. Do you think that's a possibility at this point? I have to think it's going to take a HUGE offer to get him out of Mizzou coming off the success he's finally had there...

I notice you don't even discuss Pinkel. Do you think that's a possibility at this point? I have to think it's going to take a HUGE offer to get him out of Mizzou coming off the success he's finally had there...

Pinkel is lower on the list. Four years ago it would have been a slam dunk. I'm not sure he'd want UW now, and I'm not so sure he'll really be offered.

He did bring Mizzou to prominence, but it also took him a long, long time.

I'm not sure the UW wants anybody affiliated with a Don James coaching staff the way Pinkel was...

Realistically it will likely be Mora, Hill or Peterson. Mora is a longshot, but would be the best fit. He could immediately recruit head to head against any coach in the country, and was a former UW player under Don James with professional experience, attitude, enthusiasm and a willingness to teach, not to mention he would be very good with the media, uber-wallets and stadium fund-raising.

Hill would immediately bring attitude, a hit 'em in the face type of mentality, and he wouldn't likely turn UW down.

Peterson would be a very interesting pick.

My only beef (not a big deal really) is that Ty beat both Hill and Peterson during his 11 wins during his four year coaching stint...

Last edited:
You guys can do better than Pat Hill. For all his tough talk, he has never won a conference championship.

1. Mora
3. Petersen or Pinkel

What about Kiffin ?

1. Mora
3. Petersen or Pinkel

Boy, I don't know about Hill, the guy doesn't seem like he would fit in boating crowd in the PR dept.

I'm surprised Gary Patterson at TCU's name hasn't come up...unless he's waiting for something in Texas (not sure what that would be since ATM was open last year, Tech?). I'm sure there's a reason, but I don't know what it is.

Last edited:
I'm surprised Gary Patterson at TCU's name hasn't come up...unless he's waiting for something in Texas (not sure what that would be since ATM was open last year, Tech?). I'm sure there's a reason, but I don't know what it is.

Lots of rumblings he may be targeted by KSU. I'm not sure he wants take that job, but you never know. It will take something pretty darn good to leave TCU because he really does like it there and he makes pretty good coin there. Also, he has taken that program to a new level where they can compete for BCS bowls.

Lots of rumblings he may be targeted by KSU. I'm not sure he wants take that job, but you never know. It will take something pretty darn good to leave TCU because he really does like it there and he makes pretty good coin there. Also, he has taken that program to a new level where they can compete for BCS bowls.

GP, IMO is ready to get to a BCS gig because he knows that the only way he gets to a BCS bowl at TCu is to run the table. Hard to do even in the Mtn. Weenie Div. The chance of a non-BCS team getting a MNC shot is as close to zero as you can get.

GP would love a TX gig, but might consider a KSU like job. I imagine though he would think long and hard about not biding his time to see if TT or a more attractive school than KSU came along. JMO.

1. Mora
3. Petersen or Pinkel

:

Some are throwing Marty Mohrinweg and Major Apple white's names into the ring too, what do you hear DD?

I just can't see Mora ditching a $5MM gig with the Seahawks out to go to UDub. I think you guys missed the boat last year....

Pinkel - on the list, but unlikely (we missed the boat, and he took too long at Mizzou)

Kiffin - on the list, but I hear there is no way. We want a coach for a long tenure, not one who is resume building

Hill - I'm not sure about Hill, but I love the "anyone, anytime, anywhere" mantra. Many Huskies on Husky boards don't seem to like him, but his name was given by Saban (rumored anyway) to our President Mark Emmert (a UW grad who hired Saban to LSU when he was LSU's President -- and Saban was given his first coaching position by none other than Don James, our "Dawgfather"). So the recommendation of Hill comes with a heavyweight backing. Hill would look at UW as a final career move which is what we want and need, though he is 58. I'm not sold either way on Hill, but any attitude brought back to UW would be great. We used to have a chant coming out of the tunnel that had the house rocking ("Say Who? Say Dawgs.... .... Who says Dawgs aint bad MuthaF***ers") - this was eliminated by Ty due to mild profanity and has killed as much attitude as any other single act. This chant was brought back by the recent honorees of the '77-'78 Rose Bowl winning team when they were honored last weekend. Highlight of the game according to those present.

Mora -- we likely missed the boat. Absolutely. Rumor is he was never talked to last winter. Rumor also has it our President fired Ty but AD Todd Turner called the NAACP who put pressure on UW to keep him. Rumors... but we did have to let the whole world know Ty sucks. Notre Dame was that media turning point that let the UW off the hook per se... But Mora did say the UW was his dream job while HC at Atlanta. That's not lost on any Husky fans. He's guaranteed $20 million by the 'Hawks and would need at least a $12-15 million guarantee to consider the Huskies. This would be likely a $2.5+ million annual deal for a minimum of 6 years. With a deal structured to have significant money guaranteed, he could consider. He is the hands down favorite of Husky-board posters, myself included. We won't pay the same annual $$$$, but could offer a longer contract and Mora could potentially coach the 'Dawgs for 20+ years. He is the best fit, and exactly what we need and want. We'll see, but his hire would make my lifetime as far as being a Husky fan goes. He's that cherished by the fans, and would immediately go toe-to-toe with any coach in the country for any recruit. He's defensive minded, has coached a team in the Super Bowl (thanks for Elway's 2nd :smile2:), loves to teach and was a player under one of Washington's most revered coaches. He's the complete package.

As of now, the most inclusive list thrown out by UW people in the know include (some of these are not feasible but they are "on the list"):
-Mora
-Hill
-Saban ($24 million buyout)
-Pinkel
-Muschamp
-Christensen
-Kiffin
-Butch Davis
-Mike Riley (Oregon St)
-Chris Petersen (BSU)
-Todd Graham (Tulsa)
-Bob Gregory (DC @ Cal)
-Jim Harbaugh (Stanford)
-Bobby Hauck (Montana)
-Dan Hawkins
-Brian Kelly (Cincinnati)
-Mike Leach
-Bronco Mendenhall (BYU)
-Gary Patterson
-Jeff Tedford (Cal)
-Mike Tice
-Brent Venables (DC @OU)
-DeWayne Walker (DC @ UCLA)
- Kyle Whittingham (Utah)

....these are the names I've heard thrown out. Again, some are very unlikely or unlikely. I guess in a search you throw out everyone and then begin to narrow.

My top 5 picks: Mora, Mora, Mora, Mora and Mora

:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Charlie Weis
Phil Fulmer
Stoops Brother
Joe Pa (by retirement)
Bobby Bowden (by retirement)

I don't see Joe Pa retiring. Although he probably should with a chance to retire on top. I see him carrying on whining and everything until he dies.

As of now, the most inclusive list thrown out by UW people in the know include (some of these are not feasible but they are "on the list"):
-Mora (Not likely because of the 'hawks job)
-Hill (Good possibility, but not a good choice IMO)
-Saban ($24 million buyout, enough said)
-Pinkel (Wedded to Mizzou, not likely)
-Muschamp (No HC experience but a young solid coach)
-Christensen (Muschamp lite)
-Kiffin (Good coach, but will always be looking over his shoulder for the next gig a la Ellen)
-Butch Davis (No way)
-Mike Riley (Oregon St) (A Beaver becomes a Husky?, good coach, but I don't see it)
-Chris Petersen (BSU) (Flat affect not likely to play well, but brilliant OC)
-Todd Graham (Tulsa) (No name)
-Bob Gregory (DC @ Cal) (Odd choice, no real chance IMO)
-Jim Harbaugh (Stanford) (Interesting)
-Bobby Hauck (Montana) (Would be a disaster IMO)
-Dan Hawkins (I really doubt this)
-Brian Kelly (Cincinnati) (Great choice IMO)
-Mike Leach (ARGGH, ahoy mateys...weird guy, PR disaster, but offensive mad scientist...it would be interesting if nothing else)
-Bronco Mendenhall (BYU) (Good candidate)
-Gary Patterson (Little pudgy guy now ready for BCS, good candidate)
-Jeff Tedford (Cal) (Doubt he leaves Cal)
-Mike Tice (DOn't do it...really)
-Brent Venables (DC @OU) (>Christensen, <Muschamp)
-DeWayne Walker (DC @ UCLA) (Interesting...BCA would be proud)
- Kyle Whittingham (Utah) (Good candidate)

JMO

xx

I'm not sold either way on Hill, but any attitude brought back to UW would be great. We used to have a chant coming out of the tunnel that had the house rocking ("Say Who? Say Dawgs.... .... Who says Dawgs aint bad MuthaF***ers") - this was eliminated by Ty due to mild profanity and has killed as much attitude as any other single act.

You got that wrong. The single biggest item that "killed as uch attitude a any other single act" was you're now playing in the post-Neuheisel era. The teams he takes over are soft and undisciplined within 4 years. Ty'ssuccessor will show improvement, just like Weis did at ND almost immediately.

Mora is not college proven is he?

Pinkel would have them winning in 3 years and that offense would be a new challenge to the Pac-10.

Kiffin is a proven ass't from USC who can recruit, recruit, recruit.

Hawkins on this list is laughable. He hasn't done anything yet at CU and I don't see him leaving Cody behind. If you see Cody transferring to a D-2 school, then I'd start to think Hawk is looking. He's currently the co-starting QB here so you can cross Hawk off any list in the country.

I'd have to add Peterson to the list though.

I would even consider Koetter, who built the Boise State program. He was a hot hire at ASU and they improved. He had a solid talent base left behind for Erickson who got them in the top-10 for awhile last year. Erickson has lost 5 in a row so suddenly, Koetter is looking a little better. ASU panicked on this guy who I feel was building a foundation. They thought he mishandled the QB issue two years ago (and he did), but hsight shows that the QB who went to NU wasn't that good and Carpenter was the right choice). Anyhow, UW will go after a better name, but some mid-level school will give Dirk another shot and be very happy they did.

I'd have to add Peterson to the list though.

QUOTE]

I should have said "near the TOP of the list".

Also, I know that Oregon runs a similiar offense, and nobody has stopped it. It's been a great equalizer. Locker is a great dual option threat, and I believe that someone with serious spread-know-how, would use that it threat better than Ty's OC has and exploit this in the Pac-10.

A keen defensive mind to fix the D, and a good OC to run the spread would improve this team quickly.

I should have said "near the TOP of the list".

Also, I know that Oregon runs a similiar offense, and nobody has stopped it. It's been a great equalizer. Locker is a great dual option threat, and I believe that someone with serious spread-know-how, would use that it threat better than Ty's OC has and exploit this in the Pac-10.

A keen defensive mind to fix the D, and a good OC to run the spread would improve this team quickly.

The only problem is that Oregon has the talent to run that system and washington does not. Even with the greatest of coordinators and coaches UDub is small and slow. I don't think Locker will be around to enjoy anything regardless of who the coach is.

In fact I don't think Ty's a bad coach, just at the wrong place at the wrong time in both his ND and UW jobs. Ty got fired when all his players were still young and inexperienced (kinda like another team we all know lately) at ND and then another dude came in and got the credit once they matured. UW situation is a little bit different as Ty got hired to a team that had no talent and to a team who's best days were behind them and a had a ceiling. Not saying a change wasn't need, but I don't see the grass being any greener for whatever coach comes in. The state of washington simply doesn't have the homegrown talent to compete year in and year out.

You got that wrong. The single biggest item that "killed as uch attitude a any other single act" was you're now playing in the post-Neuheisel era. The teams he takes over are soft and undisciplined within 4 years. Ty'ssuccessor will show improvement, just like Weis did at ND almost immediately.

The biggest problem is actually our upper campus, who single-handedly destroyed Husky Football.

Both Neu and Ty are products of that.

The upper campus maybe changing now that they realize what a cash cow UW Football used to be, and funds are desperately needed...

And yes, I expect the successor to be much better. Ty is supposedly a great coach Sunday through Friday, but on Saturday's he's shown me nothing.

Last edited:
The only problem is that Oregon has the talent to run that system and washington does not. Even with the greatest of coordinators and coaches UDub is small and slow. I don't think Locker will be around to enjoy anything regardless of who the coach is.

UW is definitely small and slow. Thanks Ty. Luckily Locker has two more years, and he very well could be around to enjoy a great team, if the coaching staff is great. Right now Locker has had the worst coaching of any QB in the country the past two years, IMO.

UW situation is a little bit different as Ty got hired to a team that had no talent and to a team who's best days were behind them and a had a ceiling. Not saying a change wasn't need, but I don't see the grass being any greener for whatever coach comes in. The state of washington simply doesn't have the homegrown talent to compete year in and year out.

Until there is a first class coaching staff, and A.D. who lets them be, and a supportive upper campus, Husky Football is done.

The best years may be behind them, or not... As for a ceiling, the UW is the only school that can realistically compete with USC (possibly UCLA) on an annual basis historically. It's a great destination for kids, and west of Texas the only other school with a better history or tradition of excellence besides USC is UW, IMO.

You don't kill 100+ years of tradition completely within a 10 year span. And Husky boosters are probably as wealthy as a whole as any boosters in the country thanks to Microsoft and such companies... that should not be underestimated.

The grass may in fact be a whole lot greener for the next coach. The UW has a new President and A.D. That is by far the biggest difference. The Huskies have lost so many big boosters ($$$$ 6 figures +) that it's upper campus may give the green light to rebuild Washington football. If that's the case, the next coach could find a great situation. We do have some very young talent, and an extremely athletic QB. Given good coaching and a couple of years, the Huskies could become good again, and could possibly win a BCS Bowl in two years if the cards fell right (most of our current starters are redshirt or true freshman).

Washington does not have as many blue chippers as say: California, Texas, Florida, or even Ohio. Who does? We've let the majority of our best players leave the state over the past several years, and that's simply killed us. There are some years where the state has phenomenal quality, and some years where it's down. There's never a time where we have the amount of quality that the above-mentioned states have. For the UW to compete, we need to get the California kids. That is an area where we used to excel. We got the kids who had a chip on their shoulder and wanted to work hard to prove to the world they could compete. You'd be surprised how many kids from Cal want to "get away" from their hard lives, but still live in a beautiful downtown area of a major metropolitan city. Seattle has much more to offer than any school in Oregon or Arizona. We really only compete for the California recruits. Oregon excels currently because they have the best, or one of the best facilities in the country due to Nike's Phil Knight. But it's like going to Kansas or Boulder... which has more to offer? If the Huskies start to win again it should be easy to out-recruit Oregon.

$0.02

Last edited:
I think Mike Leach could be contacted.

Can you imagine? :lol: IMO, he will be contacted but the SEC folk would go bonkers watching his offense if it isn't successful right off the bat.

In other news, Tom Anstutz at Toledo is stepping down at the end of the year.

Getting Leach out of the Big 12 might be a good thing for the Buffs.

Back