What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Coaching carousel...

SportsCenter tonight had a small blurb on the rumblings at our lady of perpetual mediocrity. Apparently, there's a bunch of folks who want to get rid of Charlie Weiss. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't they just sign ol' chuckie to a 10 year deal worth something like $30MM? Didn't they have to pay Ty Willingham a boatload of money to leave? No bowl game means no big paycheck. Eventually, without a conference tie-in, that means no revenues. At some point, even NBC will dump these idots if nobody is watching.

I can dream. I can dream. Hey, if we can elect a black man as President of the United States, then the ND athletic department can go bankrupt.

SportsCenter tonight had a small blurb on the rumblings at our lady of perpetual mediocrity. Apparently, there's a bunch of folks who want to get rid of Charlie Weiss. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't they just sign ol' chuckie to a 10 year deal worth something like $30MM? Didn't they have to pay Ty Willingham a boatload of money to leave? No bowl game means no big paycheck. Eventually, without a conference tie-in, that means no revenues. At some point, even NBC will dump these idots if nobody is watching.

I can dream. I can dream. Hey, if we can elect a black man as President of the United States, then the ND athletic department can go bankrupt.

Don´t they get money from the BCS even if they go 0-12?

Actually, when I look at the Olympics Coverage by NBC, you may just as well wish for NBC Sports to go bankrupt and/or for Dick Ebersol to lose his job.

Last edited:

Actually, when I look at the Olympics Coverage by NBC, you may just as well wish for NBC Sports to go bankrupt and/or for Dick Ebersol to lose his job.

I don't think so. I think their sweetheart deal only matters if they go to a bowl. With no conference tie-in, they get to keep the sweet $15Mill or so that goes to a BCS game participant. No BCS bowl, no sweet payout. Go to a minor bowl and the costs of transporting the entire ND entourage to Shreveport or Ft. Worth isn't worth what they'd get from the payout.

The dream is alive. :thumbsup:

No. But the BCS contains language stating that if ND is ranked BCS 8 or higher they get into one of the bowl games. I think there was an effort by the conferences to leave ND on the outside looking with the non bcs conferences. TV balked because of the ratings ND drew. Or used to draw anyways.

I suspect ND sometime in my lifetime will go to the Big 10, hat in hand, and ask for forgiveness. That is unless the Big X makes the move for a 12th team before ND comes around. When you look at the money a title game brings in you'd suspect that there probably is room for a Louisville, West Virginia, Pitt, Rutgers or UConn. They should have grabbed BC when they had the chance.

KSU looks like they have crapped out on Gary Patterson....

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/story/887839.html

He would have been a good hire, they may still get him, but it doesn't look too good. If they go Snydley, I see them continuing downward, there was a reason they forced the ONLY coach they had that ever won anything. He's past his prime...

There are quite a few good non-BCS coaches out there, whether they can get them to the little Apple remains to be seen. That is the route they should go IMO.

There are quite a few good non-BCS coaches out there, whether they can get them to the little Apple remains to be seen. That is the route they should go IMO.

Skip Holtz has done a good job at ECU.

Boise State and Utah are consistently putting good teams on the field. Thats a sign of good coaching.

Now you have some new comers in Ball St (BCS ranked and undefeated) along with Tulsa, Cinncy, and BYU. I don't care what conference you play in; putting together an undefeated season is not easy. Those are coaches you want to be taking a look at if your KSU. Though, in my mind, the most obvious choices are the ones you already know and are familiar with; the assistants of your opponents that are already in the conference.

The best head coach candidates should be:

Brian Kelly
Randy Edsall
Gary Patterson
Kyle Whittingham
Chris Peterson
Troy Calhoun
Pat Hill
Lane Kiffin
Brent Venables
Major Applewhite
Will Muschamp
Skip Holtz
Todd Graham
Gus Malzahn
Brady Hoke
Turner Gill

Kansas State should probably go after Applewhite, Venables, Graham or Malzahn. Patterson seems like a good fit but maybe it isn't enough "upward" movement for him, especially if the MWC can petition the BCS for an auto-bid selection.

Brian Kelly- agree, but will hold out for quality gig

Randy Edsall- no way, he'll be short listed for big time jobs, plus he's already at a BCS school.

Gary Patterson- saying no, pretty emphatically, more than just standard "no interst" comment designed to buy time

Kyle Whittingham- see ,Kelly

Chris Peterson- see, Kelly

Troy Calhoun- certainly a possibility and a good get if they can do it

Pat Hill- see Calhoun

Lane Kiffin- no way, he's looking at top 25 programs only, and he'll get one

Brent Venables- see Kiffin

Major Applewhite- Great suggestion, he'd be a great hire if they could get him, certainly possible

Will Muschamp- see Kiffin

Skip Holtz- Will he come this far west? Certainly a good choice

Todd Graham- see Calhoun

Gus Malzahn- Now this would be interesting. He is sort of like Leach minus the experience and pirate fetish

Brady Hoke- He can do better, doubt he'd come to Manhattan

Turner Gill- Interesting. He could do well, he's brought Buffalo to life.

Kansas State should probably go after Applewhite, Venables, Graham or Malzahn. Patterson seems like a good fit but maybe it isn't enough "upward" movement for him, especially if the MWC can petition the BCS for an auto-bid selection.

Just my two cents.

EDIT: I thought this list was just for KSU ,but I reread and realized it is just a list for available or up and coming HC's, it';s a good list IMO.

Last edited:
APPLEWHITE?.. has he even been an offensive coordinator yet? I remember him being an assisstant before his job at Texas as a running backs coach :rolleyes:

I wish you were right, but I keep waiting for NBC to drop them but their idot execs keep re-signing with ND despite the fact that the ratings continue to decline. :confused:

And it's this deal with NBC that is main reason why they haven't joined the Big 10, where they belong.

No. But the BCS contains language stating that if ND is ranked BCS 8 or higher they get into one of the bowl games. I think there was an effort by the conferences to leave ND on the outside looking with the non bcs conferences. TV balked because of the ratings ND drew. Or used to draw anyways.

I suspect ND sometime in my lifetime will go to the Big 10, hat in hand, and ask for forgiveness. That is unless the Big X makes the move for a 12th team before ND comes around. When you look at the money a title game brings in you'd suspect that there probably is room for a Louisville, West Virginia, Pitt, Rutgers or UConn. They should have grabbed BC when they had the chance.

I don't know, as I stated above, I don't think they'll join the Big 10 as long as NBC keeps funding their athletic department. I can't imagine the Big 10 is gonna sit around and wait on ND much longer before they go out and find a 12th team so they too can have a CCG. What I'm afraid will happen at some point is that if ND joins a conference, they will join the Big East in football, which would be a total copout on their part.

Last edited:

Brian Kelly
Randy Edsall
Gary Patterson
Kyle Whittingham
Chris Peterson
Troy Calhoun
Pat Hill
Lane Kiffin
Brent Venables
Major Applewhite
Will Muschamp
Skip Holtz
Todd Graham
Gus Malzahn
Brady Hoke
Turner Gill

You forgot Leach.

I wish you were about, but I keep waiting for NBC to drop them but their idot execs keep re-signing with ND despite the fact that the ratings continue to decline. :confused:

And it's this deal with NBC that is main reason why they haven't joined the Big 10, where they belong.

I don't know, as I stated above, I don't think they'll join the Big 10 as long as NBC keeps funding their athletic department. I can't imagine the Big 10 is gonna sit around and wait on ND much longer before they go out and find a 12th team so they too can have a CCG. What I'm afraid will happen at some point is that if ND joins a conference, they will join the Big East in football, which would be a total copout on their part.

They just extended the deal again through 2015. This thing is Ebersol's baby and I suspect until he leaves or the people at GE tell him to knock it off then this will continue. They were dumb to let the NFL get away. Even dumber that they are not doing a deal with the Big XII, Pac 10, or Big 10 like CBS has with the SEC. It'd certainly get more games on TV.

Check this out. Not the greatest source but an amusing read.

Despite sagging ratings, the departure of many beloved characters, and a marked downward trend in its plotlines over the last few seasons, NBC announced today that they are renewing the Notre Dame Show through 2015. I'm not going to sit here and defend the worthiness of last year's 3-9 Notre Dame team over television behemoths like "My Dad is Better than Your Dad", "Clash of the Choirs", and "Quarterlife" that didn't make it off the NBC chopping block, but hey, that's business for you.

A disturbing sidenote for Irish fans is that the contract stipulates that between 2011 and 2015, NBC will carry eight Irish home games a year. As a result, the Irish will have to play 7 games in Notre Dame stadium plus one more quote-unquote "neutral site game" a year against a body bag team willing to take a payout to play what financially works out to be a Notre Dame home game. Any hope that this cheeseball scheduling would disappear with the launching of Athletic Director Kevin White has been dashed, as it is now a contractual necessity.

http://ncaafootball.fanhouse.com/20...ame-contract-for-eight-more-years-cancels-bi/

That's a lot of home games. Given the scheduling challenges that are out there these days it will not be easy for them to get enough teams now that so many demand an away game visit. The only way NBC can get the games is it has to be a home game or neautral site game. So, yes there will be more Irish on TV going forward but the quality will be much worse. Can't wait for Notre Dame v Florida International.

They just extended the deal again through 2015. This thing is Ebersol's baby and I suspect until he leaves or the people at GE tell him to knock it off then this will continue. They were dumb to let the NFL get away. Even dumber that they are not doing a deal with the Big XII, Pac 10, or Big 10 like CBS has with the SEC. It'd certainly get more games on TV.

Check this out. Not the greatest source but an amusing read.

That's a lot of home games. Given the scheduling challenges that are out there these days it will not be easy for them to get enough teams now that so many demand an away game visit. The only way NBC can get the games is it has to be a home game or neautral site game. So, yes there will be more Irish on TV going forward but the quality will be much worse. Can't wait for Notre Dame v Florida International.

Wake up the echoes and then wake up Schnellenberger:lol:

Yea, I think the 7 homes plus 1 neutral-site game was part of the new deal with NBC. The crap part about it is that is gives ND only 4 true road games every year. Just more injustice when it comes to ND. :sad2:

And the odd part is, some teams are going to sites that make no sense. I know that ND already has one of these neutral site games scheduled with Wazzu in San Antonio in the coming years. :wtf:

Yea, I think the 7 homes plus 1 neutral-site game was part of the new deal with NBC. The crap part about it is that is gives ND only 4 true road games every year. Just more injustice when it comes to ND. :sad2:

And the odd part is, some teams are going to sites that make no sense. I know that ND already has one of these neutral site games scheduled with Wazzu in San Antonio in the coming years. :wtf:

They play Navy in Dublin Ireland in 2012. That same year they play Baylor in New Orleans about mid season.

Some years there are 3 Big East schools. Some years 3 Big 10 schools. Weird.

http://www.maplenet.net/~trowbridge/NDSched.htm

APPLEWHITE?.. has he even been an offensive coordinator yet? I remember him being an assisstant before his job at Texas as a running backs coach :rolleyes:

OC under Graham at Rice in 06, OC at Bama last season, back with UT as assistant HC/RB coach. He's a pretty good coach and a good guy. Heard him do an interview with Rome the other day. Very impressive.

About the only impressive piece of scheduling I can see over the next 8 years is a home-and-home series with OU. :huh:

I'm not ND lover but Their schedule is not all cream puffs either. They play Michigan, USC, and Michigan State on a very regular basis. If they were in the big 10 the other teams on their schedule are comparable.

I'm not ND lover but Their schedule is not all cream puffs either. They play Michigan, USC, and Michigan State on a very regular basis. If they were in the big 10 the other teams on their schedule are comparable.

And they also schedule Purdue, Stanford, Army, and Navy on a regular basis. And Michigan State is mediocre more often than they're a top 15-20 team.

I think the Wyoming job is all but officially open. Joe Glenn told the fossils the other day that it was bowl game or bust to keep his job, and UNLV took care of that.

I wonder what they'll be able to pull in candidate-wise. I thought Glenn did a pretty good job outside of putting himself into a black hole with his qb situation this year. The MWC seems to be at a relative high water mark, with utah, byu, tcu and af- I can't imagine Wyo having a ton of success for the next few years.

Back