What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Coaching carousel...

I think the Wyoming job is all but officially open. Joe Glenn told the fossils the other day that it was bowl game or bust to keep his job, and UNLV took care of that.

I wonder what they'll be able to pull in candidate-wise. I thought Glenn did a pretty good job outside of putting himself into a black hole with his qb situation this year. The MWC seems to be at a relative high water mark, with utah, byu, tcu and af- I can't imagine Wyo having a ton of success for the next few years.

Having personally met Joe on more than one occasion I am kind of sad he didn't get it done up there. I can't imagine its very easy to get kids to come to Wyoming and what is in the state is pretty slim pickings. He'd have been a better fit for CSU or a lower tier Big X11 school. Oh well.

I think the Wyoming job is all but officially open. Joe Glenn told the fossils the other day that it was bowl game or bust to keep his job, and UNLV took care of that.

I wonder what they'll be able to pull in candidate-wise. I thought Glenn did a pretty good job outside of putting himself into a black hole with his qb situation this year. The MWC seems to be at a relative high water mark, with utah, byu, tcu and af- I can't imagine Wyo having a ton of success for the next few years.

Gary Barnett.

:lol:

How about Sunny Lubedick??? :cool:

Edsall was considered to be the most likely candidate at Syracuse, but he said today that he is not interested in the job:

UConn's Randy Edsall confirmed this morning that he has no interest in becoming the next football coach at his alma mater, Syracuse University.

"There has been speculation in various media outlets that I am a candidate for the job," Edsall told The Day this morning. "But with all due respect to my alma mater and the people at Syracuse, I am not interested in being a candidate.

http://www.theday.com/re.aspx?re=ef5e9b8e-a7a6-457b-8d8e-00fd61a2809d

In addition to the article I posted above, I keep hearing scuttlebutt that Mangino is on his way out at KU. That would be a HUGE development. Anybody else hear anything?

In addition to the article I posted above, I keep hearing scuttlebutt that Mangino is on his way out at KU. That would be a HUGE development. Anybody else hear anything?

On his way out?

As in he's moving on to a better job?

Or as in he's getting ****canned by KU?

I think there is ZERO chance he gets fired.

On his way out?

As in he's moving on to a better job?

Or as in he's getting ****canned by KU?

I think there is ZERO chance he gets fired.

Well, word is that he was going to get canned last year before the Lawrence miracle run. Apparently, the AD dislikes him. The article I linked above references that Mangino has been away from some meetings and watching practices from the pressbox, something which is different from prior practices. Who knows? I could see him leaving KU for greener pastures, but I can't say where he would end up.

Also, HCRP at the other Sunflower State school is rumored to have gone completely ape after the KU game, so much so the AD made him go back to Manhattan separate from the team.

Could all just be rumor, but it's entertaining just the same.:smile2:

I think, by definition, pretty much anything Mangina related is HUGE... :cool:

I could see him leaving KU for greener pastures,

I would have to imagine he could pretty much graze a pasture to death in the number of years he's been in Lawrence... :lol:

Seriously, that would be a shock. Although I don't think he can expect to repeat 2007 consistently at KU - getting out while that memory is still fresh to future employers might not be a bad idea...

Well, word is that he was going to get canned last year before the Lawrence miracle run. Apparently, the AD dislikes him. The article I linked above references that Mangino has been away from some meetings and watching practices from the pressbox, something which is different from prior practices. Who knows? I could see him leaving KU for greener pastures, but I can't say where he would end up.

Also, HCRP at the other Sunflower State school is rumored to have gone completely ape after the KU game, so much so the AD made him go back to Manhattan separate from the team.

Could all just be rumor, but it's entertaining just the same.:smile2:

That sounds a bit too much like the Syracuse deal where the AD thought he was smarter than the HC. Lump in NU in there as well. KUs AD ought to be run out of town for such a transgression.

What Mangino did was nothing short of incredible; he took a nothing program and took them to a BCS game damn near a trip to the mNC game. Make no mistake; Mangino WILL land in another BCS job and probably a top tier one at that.

That sounds a bit too much like the Syracuse deal where the AD thought he was smarter than the HC. Lump in NU in there as well. KUs AD ought to be run out of town for such a transgression.

What Mangino did was nothing short of incredible; he took a nothing program and took them to a BCS game damn near a trip to the mNC game. Make no mistake; Mangino WILL land in another BCS job and probably a top tier one at that.

IF Ku lets him go it would be a mistake IMO. I agree, some BCS program will pick him up, figuratively speaking...

Rocky Long stepping down at New Mexico...

Last edited:
with NC basketball revenue and the "we'll do anything to keep the one good coach we've ever had" mentality (minus a nod of the cap to Glen Mason's top 10 team in the 90's)....i think KU will spend to keep Mangino.

edit: saw Lefty's post about bad relations with the AD. it's possible. there's always the no matter how much you win you'll be second fiddle to hoops angle, i suppose.

Last edited:
IF Ku lets him go it would be a mistake IMO. I agree, some BCS program will pick him up, figuratively speaking...

Rocky Long stepping down at New Mexico...

Read below. He'd get snapped up by a top tier BCS school pretty quick imho unless there is skeleton in the closet factor were not hearing about like wife beater or alcholic.

Early life

Mangino was born and raised in New Castle, Pennsylvania. After high school, he was offered a football scholarship at Youngstown State. Mangino never played a down and dropped out after one year. Mangino played semi-pro baseball in western Pennsylvania until he became an ambulance driver. In his late 20's he returned to Youngstown State to receive his degree.[10]

Coaching career

Early positions
Mangino graduated from Youngstown State University in 1987, serving as an assistant coach there in his last two years under then-head coach Jim Tressel. He also coached at Lincoln High School in Ellwood City, Pennsylvania and Geneva College, before being hired as an assistant coach at Kansas State University in 1991. Prior to the 1999 season, Mangino left Kansas State to take an assistant position at the University of Oklahoma. While there, he served as the offensive coordinator for the team that beat Florida State for the 2000 national championship. Following that season, he was awarded the Frank Broyles Award as the nation's top assistant coach.

Kansas
Mangino was hired to his current position in December 2001. With 38 victories, Mangino has the third most victories in Kansas coaching history. In 2003, his second season at KU, Mangino led the Jayhawks to an appearance in the 2003 Tangerine Bowl (now known as the Champs Sports Bowl). This was the first bowl appearance for Kansas since 1995. In 2005, his fourth season at KU, the team finished the regular season 6–5, to post its first winning record under Mangino, and went on to the Fort Worth Bowl, its second bowl game in three seasons. Among the Jayhawks' wins was a 40-15 victory over Nebraska, breaking a losing streak that had begun in 1969, which was the second-longest such streak of consecutive losses in NCAA history. The same year Mangino also built a defense that ranked 11th nationally (based on yards allowed per game) and featured third-team All-American and Big 12 Conference Defensive Player of the Year linebacker Nick Reid. The 2005 team also ranked 6th nationally in total punts. In 2007, Mangino coached the Jayhawks to a 12-1 record and the 2008 Orange Bowl (their first ever BCS appearance). Mangino's defense was ranked 12th in the nation, and 4th in scoring defense. On the other side of the ball, the Jayhawks finished 2nd in scoring offense. [11]
Following the win against the Iowa State Cyclones, Mark Mangino became the first KU football coach with a winning career record since Jack Mitchell in 1966.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Mangino

The KU football program was a joke before he arrived. He's demonstrated he can coach by winning with players that were not so great when he arrived by delivering on back to back bowl appearances. He's demonstrated he can recruit with the team that made the BCS appearance in 2007 and won.

Tenn, Clemson, Washington, all ought to give the guy a look if he goes at the end of the year.

Last edited:
Read below. He'd get snapped up by a top tier BCS school pretty quick imho unless there is skeleton in the closet factor were not hearing about like wife beater or alcholic.

The KU football program was a joke before he arrived. He's demonstrated he can coach by winning with players that were not so great when he arrived by delivering on back to back bowl appearances. He's demonstrated he can recruit with the team that made the BCS appearance in 2007 and won.

Tenn, Clemson, Washington, all ought to give the guy a look if he goes at the end of the year.

He is not nearly as good as you make him out to be. Outside of last season, his record is mirrors this season, which is very mediocre. He is not the first Kansas coach to have success in one or two seasons. Glen Mason won two bowls while he was there, including one season where he finished in the top 10. Where is he now?

Are you suggesting Spurrier is going to get fired or pull another famous quitting act? Or is that a play on words for Clemson?

The rumors are that he's going to retire, I know that the folks in Columbia still really like Lou (for whatever reason that is) and Skip really has that job as his #1...

Hell, if I was Spurrier I'd retire. Live at my houses, play golf, he's got lifetime membership at Augusta, etc...

He is not nearly as good as you make him out to be. Outside of last season, his record is mirrors this season, which is very mediocre. He is not the first Kansas coach to have success in one or two seasons. Glen Mason won two bowls while he was there, including one season where he finished in the top 10. Where is he now?

Commentating for the big 10 network after getting canned from Minnesota. It's a bit early to compare the two. Mangino has 6 or 7 seasons under his belt compared to Mason. We'll see. I'll remind you if your wrong. :smile2:

The rumors are that he's going to retire, I know that the folks in Columbia still really like Lou (for whatever reason that is) and Skip really has that job as his #1...

Hell, if I was Spurrier I'd retire. Live at my houses, play golf, he's got lifetime membership at Augusta, etc...

He likes to play golf. I could see it.

Any thoughts on the KSU search? Some are saying Phil Fulmer will be the next HC. I just can't see that one.

Rumors abound Chucky Gruden will go to Tenn. despite his public no interest comments...

Still more rumors aobut Mark Mangino being out at KU...current rumors involve more domestic abuse allegations. Supposedly, MM was told no more of those incidents or he would be shown the double doors. Reportedly, there have more incidents. All rumor at this point but KU would sustain a big loss if they let MM go. If that is the real issue, couldn't they just get the guy into counseling? But then again I wondered about Jenny Craig for him too, and nobody seems to be able to clear that hurdle either....

You can't have your head coach beating up his wife. It really casts the university in a horrible light. I'm not saying these rumors are true, but if they are, KU has little choice but to let him go.

Leach, Davis and Kelly rumored to atop Tenn. list of coaches. Leach is wanting out of Lubbock in the worst way. I look for him to move this year. Although the Buffs have gotten over on him more often than not, that playstation offense was going to explode when he finally got an arm to run it. Why it took Harrell so long to go boom I'll never know, I'm just glad thye aren't on the Buffs schedule this year.

reportedly, Leach has been offered the UT job, but no real confirmation yet....

Will Muschamp is going to be next head coach at Texas whenever Mack Brown decides to step down. He will be making $900,000 in the meantime as a defensive coordinator.:wow:

Leach, Davis and Kelly rumored to atop Tenn. list of coaches. Leach is wanting out of Lubbock in the worst way. I look for him to move this year. Although the Buffs have gotten over on him more often than not, that playstation offense was going to explode when he finally got an arm to run it. Why it took Harrell so long to go boom I'll never know, I'm just glad thye aren't on the Buffs schedule this year.

reportedly, Leach has been offered the UT job, but no real confirmation yet....

I don't see Davis leaving UNC right now - maybe never. I don't think he believes he has completed the job he started.

I don't see Davis leaving UNC right now - maybe never. I don't think he believes he has completed the job he started.

I doubt BD is going to Tenn. I am sure UT would like to have him, but they will likely end up going a different direction. Gruden, Kelly and Leach would be my guesses, with a heavy lean to Leach.

Back