What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Coaching Carousel...

I think Zook's out for sure. Tomey's probably done as well as one could currently with SJSU but with all things constant they may want to go in a younger direction with their coach.

To your earlier point about Fulmer: That's interesting about him and UL. I thought he may end up quietly retiring after being out of the game a year. I can't see Memphis unless he has a burning desire to coach somewhere, anywhere, and nobody else comes calling. Memphis is a terrible football gig.

I think you are right, Fulmer isn't going to take a second rate gig. He'll hold out for a decent or better BCS gig.

I think Zook's out for sure. Tomey's probably done as well as one could currently with SJSU but with all things constant they may want to go in a younger direction with their coach.

To your earlier point about Fulmer: That's interesting about him and UL. I thought he may end up quietly retiring after being out of the game a year. I can't see Memphis unless he has a burning desire to coach somewhere, anywhere, and nobody else comes calling. Memphis is a terrible football gig.

Memphis is pushing hard to get into the Big East. They hired the former Big East commish as an advisor with the sole directive to get them into a BCS conference. They know that their football is awful and that it was a big reason they did not get the invite last time around. Sad thing is that they pay $1 million a year to a worthless coach in Tommy West. If the Big East has a split and they want to get in they need a decent football team. Basketball may be down for them this year (meaning they will only go to the 2nd round of the tourney) next year they already have the #2 recruiting class.

Memphis is pushing hard to get into the Big East. They hired the former Big East commish as an advisor with the sole directive to get them into a BCS conference. They know that their football is awful and that it was a big reason they did not get the invite last time around. Sad thing is that they pay $1 million a year to a worthless coach in Tommy West. If the Big East has a split and they want to get in they need a decent football team. Basketball may be down for them this year (meaning they will only go to the 2nd round of the tourney) next year they already have the #2 recruiting class.

Is that to say the Big East would become a 17-member basketball conference? Memphis has long been valuable as a basketball school but always middle of the pack or lower in CUSA. Would drag down Big East's BCS football cred (further...). If St. John's would just fold its athletic programs as their performance is trending toward, I could see Memphis coming in. But an NCAA conference with more than 16 schools? Clusterf*ck. I could not see that happening at all, anytime, ever.

Is that to say the Big East would become a 17-member basketball conference? Memphis has long been valuable as a basketball school but always middle of the pack or lower in CUSA. Would drag down Big East's BCS football cred (further...). If St. John's would just fold its athletic programs as their performance is trending toward, I could see Memphis coming in. But an NCAA conference with more than 16 schools? Clusterf*ck. I could not see that happening at all, anytime, ever.

Basketball and football schools may split. Football programs seem to be gaining a louder voice in the conference and are tired of having only 7 conference games in football. Basketball schools dont want to expand and they are absolutely right that adding Memphis would make the conference too big. The fact of the matter is that football makes more money than basketball though. Next few years will be interesting. And yes adding teams like Memphis or Central Florida will make the Big East look worse in football.

Tuberville now linked to the Louisville job. Kind of ironic, Tubby goes to the place from which Petrino came...

Gruden has given an official no to Lousiville....

UNLV's Sanford offically out at season's end, buyout completed.

UAB wants Terry Bowden.

Still waiting for that first casualty...

Still no "real" news.

Al Groh at UVA is not likely to finish the year and get this, Ron Prince may be named interim. Go figure.

Louisville AD Jurich reportedly still pursuing Gruden.

I am more interested in thsi year's carousel since I can watch what schools who actually give a **** about winning do when their coaching stinks. CU: where mediocrity is embraced.

And yes adding teams like Memphis or Central Florida will make the Big East look worse in football.

UCF's a good football program. They weaken the conference in basketball, though. Actually a good balance with Memphis since Memphis is good in basketball and weak in football. They're both huge metro areas with big stadiums, large alumni bases, and automatic bowl tie-ins with their home stadiums. Plus, UCF is USF's rival and Memphis has rivalries with both Louisville and Cincinnati.

Big East (or whatever it was called after it split) would be a nice conference for both football and basketball with those additions.

Central Florida
Cincinnati
Connecticut
Louisville
Memphis
Pittsburgh
Rutgers
Syracuse
South Florida
West Virginia

Their dream would be to get Boston College and Maryland from the ACC to make it 12, but I doubt that happens. More likely the pull UMass when they make the jump to 1-A football along with East Carolina. That gives them, 1 basketball and 1 football school, big metro areas, natural rivalries, and a football championship game.

Central Florida
Cincinnati
Connecticut
Louisville
Memphis
Pittsburgh
Rutgers
Syracuse
South Florida
West Virginia

Their dream would be to get Boston College and Maryland from the ACC to make it 12, but I doubt that happens. More likely the pull UMass when they make the jump to 1-A football along with East Carolina. That gives them, 1 basketball and 1 football school, big metro areas, natural rivalries, and a football championship game.

BC just left the Big East a few years ago and I doubt Maryland would ever leave the ACC since they're one of the original 8 members. Ideally they'd get ND in football if they ever decided to join a conference even though the Big 10 is the most logical place for them to go. But the list you gave above is probably the most realistic future for the conference, in football anyway.

Mickey Andrews DC at FSU retiring at the end of the year.

Spin carousel spin...we are in dire need here...

Western Kentucky fire Dave Elson.

Leading Candidates:
Romeo Crennel, former Cleveland Browns HC
Willie Taggart, current Stanford RB's Coach

Memphis fired Tommy West.

Phillip Fulmer has been rumored for months regarding the job.

Western Kentucky fire Dave Elson.

Leading Candidates:
Romeo Crennel, former Cleveland Browns HC
Willie Taggart, current Stanford RB's Coach

First heads roll...

FWIW. The Okie St. OC/WR coach has been mentioned as the HC for Memphis...

Dick Tomey may retire from San Jose St. also...

Last edited:
Tomey is more than likely going to retire.

Ty Willingham is probably the #1 candidate, considering he spent part of the summer watching their practices at Dick Tomey's wishes.

Ty would do a nice job there.

And to the earlier post, Fulmer would be awesome at Memphis. That would get them fast tracked for joining the Big East for football.

And to the earlier post, Fulmer would be awesome at Memphis. That would get them fast tracked for joining the Big East for football.
Definetly.

If they can get their football team into the Big East, they will have more ammunition to attempt to get their basketball team in.

Rumblings about Charlie Weis at ND. There's nothing more fun than watching the Domers stumble around in search of the next Knute....

I thought this was interesting this morning:

Three-point stance: Coaching comebacks
November 10, 2009 5:00 AM
Posted by ESPN.com's Ivan Maisel

Tommy West, let go by Clemson in 1998, returned as a head coach at Memphis in 2001. His Tigers, save the DeAngelo Williams years, never rose above mediocre. Memphis canned West Monday. How many coaches have successful second acts? David Cutcliffe of Duke and Frank Solich of Ohio, maybe. Ron Zook of Illinois? Jury’s out. Tulane’s Bob Toledo? UCF’s George O’Leary? Phil Fulmer and Tommy Tuberville should consider that as they read the coaching wanted ads.

Rumors, and some reports from internet scum, that Charlie Weis will be out at year's end. Brian Kelly, Bob Stoops, Urban Meyer, Jim Harbaugh and Jon Gruden are allegedly candidates. Why not add Belichek, Cowher and Carroll to the list? The arrogance of ND amazes... Kelly, they can probably get, but everybody else? I am not sure. ND is a fabulous job, but it is no longer the pinnacle of CFB. JMO.

Unless of course, ND decides it needs some Hawk Love....:lol:

Rumors, and some reports from internet scum, that Charlie Weis will be out at year's end. Brian Kelly, Bob Stoops, Urban Meyer, Jim Harbaugh and Jon Gruden are allegedly candidates. Why not add Belichek, Cowher and Carroll to the list? The arrogance of ND amazes... Kelly, they can probably get, but everybody else? I am not sure. ND is a fabulous job, but it is no longer the pinnacle of CFB. JMO.

The best part of this debacle for ND will be watching the public humiliation of people saying no to them.

I would be interested to see if Stoops has any interest in that job. He is perfectly safe at OU - but I have to wonder if he is feeling a little heat. He hasn't beaten Texas in, what, four years? He is getting quite a lot of smack locally for their record this season - even though they have a ton of injuries - and I think it's possible they still lose another game. This is his 11th season at OU. His star has faded a great deal over the past few years.

I would be interested to see if Stoops has any interest in that job. He is perfectly safe at OU - but I have to wonder if he is feeling a little heat. He hasn't beaten Texas in, what, four years? He is getting quite a lot of smack locally for their record this season - even though they have a ton of injuries - and I think it's possible they still lose another game. This is his 11th season at OU. His star has faded a great deal over the past few years.

Interesting. I guess I never thought of it that way. Even if Stoops is getting flak, I can't see OU firing him anytime soon. But then again, the grass is always greener and he is from Ohio isn't he? Maybe he would consider ND...

Back