What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Coaching Carousel...

Interesting. I guess I never thought of it that way. Even if Stoops is getting flak, I can't see OU firing him anytime soon. But then again, the grass is always greener and he is from Ohio isn't he? Maybe he would consider ND...

I don't think there is any chance of OU firing him, but he was legitimately very interested in the Florida job a few years ago - and I think he would consider Notre Dame.

Stoops is also Catholic, so I think there would be some allure on a personal / spiritual level for him at Notre Dame.

I don't think there is any chance of OU firing him, but he was legitimately very interested in the Florida job a few years ago - and I think he would consider Notre Dame.

Stoops is also Catholic, so I think there would be some allure on a personal / spiritual level for him at Notre Dame.

I did not know that...so ND has some additional "pull" if you will.

I would be interested to see if Stoops has any interest in that job. He is perfectly safe at OU - but I have to wonder if he is feeling a little heat. He hasn't beaten Texas in, what, four years? He is getting quite a lot of smack locally for their record this season - even though they have a ton of injuries - and I think it's possible they still lose another game. This is his 11th season at OU. His star has faded a great deal over the past few years.

Yeah, local radio is roasting him. The losses to tejass, losses in bcs games, and now this years performance, have all been hashed and rehashed over the airwaves. Some of the pundits think next year will be a lot like this year, another potential 4 loss season (or more). They have Fla State at home and Cinci on the road as part of their OOC (oh, and Air Force at home, too). I guess it's possible.

The luster does appear to be dulling here in red mud land. Still, I'm not sold that he'd jump at the Sorta Lame opening (not if, but when, that happens). Maybe they could switch coaches.....

Yeah, local radio is roasting him. The losses to tejass, losses in bcs games, and now this years performance, have all been hashed and rehashed over the airwaves. Some of the pundits think next year will be a lot like this year, another potential 4 loss season (or more). They have Fla State at home and Cinci on the road as part of their OOC (oh, and Air Force at home, too). I guess it's possible.

The luster does appear to be dulling here in red mud land. Still, I'm not sold that he'd jump at the Sorta Lame opening (not if, but when, that happens). Maybe they could switch coaches.....

Stoops would be smart to jump for the Notre Dame job, there are few fans worse than Oklahoma fans in college football. The expectations there are amazingly high for a program that has been consistent and competitive since he took over. They wont be happy until they run him out, and then find out the guy they replaced him with isn't as good of a coach as Stoops was.

I thought this was interesting this morning:

Three-point stance: Coaching comebacks
November 10, 2009 5:00 AM
Posted by ESPN.com's Ivan Maisel

Tommy West, let go by Clemson in 1998, returned as a head coach at Memphis in 2001. His Tigers, save the DeAngelo Williams years, never rose above mediocre. Memphis canned West Monday. How many coaches have successful second acts? David Cutcliffe of Duke and Frank Solich of Ohio, maybe. Ron Zook of Illinois? Jury’s out. Tulane’s Bob Toledo? UCF’s George O’Leary? Phil Fulmer and Tommy Tuberville should consider that as they read the coaching wanted ads.

The main problem is the schools. These are schools not known for their football program, West ripped Memphis a new one in his presser following being fired.

It is impossible to have a good football team without the support from the school behind the program, build some new facilities, upgrade the field, etc. Its more telling when a coach goes to a school thats capable of competing and fails horribly.

Interesting. I guess I never thought of it that way. Even if Stoops is getting flak, I can't see OU firing him anytime soon. But then again, the grass is always greener and he is from Ohio isn't he? Maybe he would consider ND...

I'd love it if held a presser this week and said "I'm tired of the criticism. I resign effective the last game". My god Soonerfans would meltdown. :lol:

I'd love it if held a presser this week and said "I'm tired of the criticism. I resign effective the last game". My god Soonerfans would meltdown. :lol:
I think the meltdown would be dramatic due to 2010 recruiting implications, but then they'd reason themselves by focusing on his 5 BCS losses and 4 straight losses to Texas and claiming he wasn't as good as he gets credit for.

Just for fun, if Stoops left for Notre Dame and Les Miles left for Michigan who do you think would be the candidates at Oklahoma and LSU?

I think Oklahoma would realistically consider Bronco Mendenhall from BYU.

Media scum....

Internet scum....

:dbt:

I think the meltdown would be dramatic due to 2010 recruiting implications, but then they'd reason themselves by focusing on his 5 BCS losses and 4 straight losses to Texas and claiming he wasn't as good as he gets credit for.

Just for fun, if Stoops left for Notre Dame and Les Miles left for Michigan who do you think would be the candidates at Oklahoma and LSU?

I think Oklahoma would realistically consider Bronco Mendenhall from BYU.

I don't follow that closely but I'd guess that they'd screw the pooch.

Few teams are as lucky as, say, NU was when Deveney handed the reins to Tom Osbourne. Im hard pressed to come up with another shinning example. Maybe Jimmy Johnson replacing Schnellenberger. It usually takes 2-4 hires before you get it right again.

As fan of the CU Buffs I'd like to stand up and remind the OU faithful that they live a small backwater state and are incredibly lucky to have a coach that can recruit and turns in one winning season after another. Believe me. Very. Lucky.

Stoops would be smart to jump for the Notre Dame job, there are few fans worse than Oklahoma fans in college football. The expectations there are amazingly high for a program that has been consistent and competitive since he took over. They wont be happy until they run him out, and then find out the guy they replaced him with isn't as good of a coach as Stoops was.

Few fans worse than OU fans? Perhaps. But one of those few is ND fan. By far the most delusional, sense of entitlement, self centered assholes in the college football universe. As far as they're concerned, football was invented in South Bend. Stoops would be insane to leave OU for ND. INSANE.

I'm not even sure how I would feel about it. On the one hand, we'd be ridding ourselves of one of the best coaches in the conference. On the other hand, guh - notre dame? I can't stand those guys. If they got Stoops, they'd start to win again and that's something I cannot abide.

Few fans worse than OU fans? Perhaps. But one of those few is ND fan. By far the most delusional, sense of entitlement, self centered assholes in the college football universe. As far as they're concerned, football was invented in South Bend. Stoops would be insane to leave OU for ND. INSANE.

I'm not even sure how I would feel about it. On the one hand, we'd be ridding ourselves of one of the best coaches in the conference. On the other hand, guh - notre dame? I can't stand those guys. If they got Stoops, they'd start to win again and that's something I cannot abide.

Ali Bama.

From what I've seen from Notre Dame fans, Stoops pulling off 11-2 seasons would be enough to give him a Lifetime contract.

They'll start whining once they get used to the success. But really Notre Dame hasn't accomplished anything in football for about 14 years. They'll just blame Ty Willingham if Stoops struggles his first year.

Tomey is more than likely going to retire.

Ty Willingham is probably the #1 candidate, considering he spent part of the summer watching their practices at Dick Tomey's wishes.

Ty would do a nice job there.

And to the earlier post, Fulmer would be awesome at Memphis. That would get them fast tracked for joining the Big East for football.

Paging Desert Dawg.... :lol:

I thought it was interesting when I saw that Memphis had come up with money to buy out Tommy West. If they could do it, I would hope CU could too...

Gus Malzahn rumored for Memphis
Would be a horrible move for him. His spread offense lost its novelty when everyone plagiarized his Wildcat formation.

Without talent already in place it would be extremely hard for him to find success anywhere. Hed end up back as an OC in a matter of years.

I thought it was interesting when I saw that Memphis had come up with money to buy out Tommy West. If they could do it, I would hope CU could too...

Fred Smith came up with the money to buyout West. His son will be playing on the Memphis team next year. Sounds like he is about to pour a ton of money into the football program to help get them into the Big East.

The main problem is the schools. These are schools not known for their football program, West ripped Memphis a new one in his presser following being fired.

It is impossible to have a good football team without the support from the school behind the program, build some new facilities, upgrade the field, etc. Its more telling when a coach goes to a school thats capable of competing and fails horribly.

West sorry ass should have been fired 4 years ago. He was a ****ty coach. He can blame the media, fans and facilities all he wants. His play calling, gameday prep and coaching make Hawk look like a ****ing genius.

I'm really surprised Dan McCarney is not getting any love to get another head gig. Looking back at it, he was a miracle working in Ames getting them to be as good as they were for as long as they were. Now he's got some experience working in the hot spread offenses from USF and UF. His age may be an issue, but he is only 55ish. I'm really surprised by the lack of interest in him as he is a good football coach.

Tim Brewster apparently on the hot seat at Minnesota.

Les Miles among Jerry Jones list of HC's for the Cowboys. It would be interesting if the LSU job opened up.

I think Strong, Venables, and others would do a nice job. Im not talking about head coach yet but I think it would be a huge plus to get Mike Moschetti back in the program. He is a Buff if there ever was one.

Tim Brewster apparently on the hot seat at Minnesota.

Les Miles among Jerry Jones list of HC's for the Cowboys. It would be interesting if the LSU job opened up.

As far gone as the gophas were before TB showed up, that's surprising to me. Is the AD there thinking they should have higher returns on the new stadium they opened up? I'd give Brewster more time.

I'd be worried if the LSU job opened up. We have too many 2nd tier LA kids that might become targets if their recruiting class falls apart.

As far gone as the gophas were before TB showed up, that's surprising to me. Is the AD there thinking they should have higher returns on the new stadium they opened up? I'd give Brewster more time.
It would be crazy for Brewster to go but hes not really a good coach, seems like another case of a great recruiter that can get talented kids but cant win with them. Either way it always seems they leave the cupboard full for the next guy.

What about Charlie Weis if Notre Dame cans him?

Back